Bar weight /hand guard retaining screw falling out

I pulled the hand guards off of mine right after getting it home from the dealer (they are not my cup of tea for lanesplitting) and noticed they were on really loose. Definitely didn't loosen up on the 10 mile home; they must have been put on that way.

My right hand bolt fell out completely and the left one was close!. I emailed my salesman as he knew I wasn't happy about paying all the "pre-assembly check/un-crating" fees these dealerships charge. He told me to come in Monday and they'd take one off a floor model to replace mine and have his tech do a once over on the bike.

Yep, same thing here for me from my left bar end screw. Luckily I noticed some unusual noise while riding home from work and narrowed it down to the screw loose before it backed all the way out. Tightened it when I got home, but am still contemplating removal of both and reinstalling with loctite for some peace of mind. Is it a function of engine vibe harmonics or just oversight on PDI. Don't know, but dealers should be made aware, if not already. Triples, even with counter-balancers are still more prone to vibe issues than fours, you can feel it.

Has anyone else also had a problem with handlebar end weight / hand guard screw unscrewing and falling out ?  My friend loss his bar weight completely at about 200 miles (can't remember if it was left or rigth hand side).   
So I checked mine bike (300 miles at this point) and found the left side screw had unscrewed itself about 1/4 inch, while the rigth side screw was just loose.

We both purchased our FJ-09s from the same Medina Ohio Yam dealer a few days apart - so maybe it's just a dealer setup thing?
This happened to me about 3 weeks ago.  Had about 1700 miles on it and was on the interstate when I noticed the left handguard getting jiggly.  I took the next exit and checked and the retaining screw assembly was gone.  Came out somewhere on the interstate.  Went to the dealer and they ordered a new one.  It's been almost 2 weeks now and they still don't have it.  I didn't ask then but I assume this will be a warranty issue and will not come out of my pocket.  BTW parts for the recall are back ordered according to the dealer and they have no idea when those will come in.  I'm still riding however with no problems.
Update:  The parts finally came in (bar retainer and transmission recall).  Had the service done today.  Was in and out in 2 hours.  Everything works great.  The handguard retainer parts were covered under warranty since they should never have come loose.  Didn't cost me a cent. 

• 2 months later...
My throttle side one was loose today after the first 500kms. Given the number of bikes with this issue I would say it is a vibration issue rather than dealer prep. Just something to keep an eye on I guess.

• 2 months later...
My left one fell out as well, and I noticed the hand guard wobbling on a 500 mile ride.  I called the dealer and they said loose fasteners would not be a warranty item.

Pretty crappy to have to buy parts for a bike a few months old.

My left one fell out as well, and I noticed the hand guard wobbling on a 500 mile ride.  I called the dealer and they said loose fasteners would not be a warranty item. 
Pretty crappy to have to buy parts for a bike a few months old.

Catch up on the known issue thread. Everything attached to the bars needs to be checked.

Blue loc tite is your friend!!!

I bought my FJ in Orange County,and before I even got it home to San Diego, the right bolt had fallen out on the freeway. I reviewed a pic I took in the "new vehicle area", and could see it was already backing out. Warranty department says they are sending a replacement, only been 2 weeks....
Plus the 4 screws holding the windscreen on were not tightened, the screen almost popped off when I went to wipe down the inside. And the chain was tighter than a bow string, I was worried about making it home to fix it.

Loose screws might be a problem, but seems to me the handguards and screen are assembled during "new bike prep" coming out of the crate, so teh $1000 dealer fee was not enough to pay a mechanic to tighten the handguard bolts ALL the way.

Archived