Puncture "repair" worms/string

flyfifer

the cheap ones sold everywhere (slime, etc.) will work - but I prefer these ones https://safetyseal.com/

I have repaired 3 flats on motorcycles with them, and 4 on cars-trucks. Most of the time it is a very small puncture, and the safety seal has a smaller diameter rope, and a normal size. 

The "worms" / "string" is coated with a much more sticky - tacky substance than on the cheap ones. they are very "gooey" and there is no question that they are going to form a good seal.

The amount of force to shove one of those things in is amazing, and I have broken the cheap plastic handles on the econo kits. The smaller diameter rope, better tool, and the white lube stuff that comes with the kit make it doable. I have the kits in 3 vehicles.  I totally trust the repair and ride the tires until worn out.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

4 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Nealy tire repair kits are highly recommended on many motorcycle sites….I carry one but luckily haven’t had to use it.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

I agree those Nealy products are great quality, 

As for the "Safety Seal" any of the "Auto/Light Truck" kits are great. I got this one, you don't need 1,000 ropes

https://safetyseal.com/product/kapc30/

I don't use the red case, just make it compact with zip lock bags. You must have a variety of pliers including very narrow ones (I have a "hemostat" as well) to grab small nails that have worked their way into the tire, soapy solution (2 small bottles) and chalk to mark where you found the leak so you can find that area again to put soap on it later in the day and make sure it's not got a small leak. So far I have never had a repair leak, but mine have been pretty clean punctures, usually with the screw or whatever still in the tire

Resize of 20211128_132509.jpg

Resize of 20211128_132532.jpg

Resize of 20211128_132603.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

You can always double up on the cheap skinny ones. But that doesn't make it very cost effective. I once bought a replacement pack from Princess Auto, a low-price liquidator. Mistake. 

Nealy or similar is the way to go. Reputable brand and you can tell the difference when you see them side-by-side. I've run several rear tires to the end of life with a Nealy rope plug for almost the tire's full life. 

1 hour ago, TomTracer said:

Double up? How, and why? 

I haven't had the need personally - but if you are stranded and have a LARGE puncture, the guidance is to keep stuffing ropes in the opening.

If it held air I would get back home (slowly) and replace that tire if it needed more than one rope to seal it.

• Thumbsup 2

17 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

Nealy tire repair kits are highly recommended on many motorcycle sites….I carry one but luckily haven’t had to use it.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

Yep. In general, sticky strings work just fine, even the cheapies.

But Nealey plugs really are the next level up. They work a little differently; basically, they're a little thinner but you end up with four thicknesses of string in the hole instead of two, and so they can conform to oddball punctures better. And they're installed differently such that you end up with a knot inside the tire that does a very effective job of keeping them in place and sealing the puncture.

No rasping or additional damage to the tire is needed. Just yank the screw or nail out of the tire, then insert the slim tool and move it around and in and out a bit in order to push any wires out of the way. And best of all, no glue (or lube) is needed; all other sticky strings require glue, which is inevitably dried up when you open the tube.

I have Nealey kits in all my vehicles, and I've installed several Nealey plugs in motorcycle tires (and car tires) with excellent results. The strings stay good for many years in the handy plastic tube. Ten year old Nealeys that have been toted all over the place are pliable, super-sticky, and indistinguishable from new.

As far as inflation, I carry a small electric pump, the smallest "Slime" brand. It plugs into the battery charging pigtail via the SAE connector (I installed a higher-capacity fuse; you can pop a 10amp sometimes when you switch the motor on).

CO2 cartridges seem like a neat idea, but the cold hard reality is that they are pretty useless for motorcycle tires. You need to carry a LOT of cartridges to get a tire anywhere near ridable pressure.

After I dumped four cartridges into a skinny 130/90-17 rear and only achieved 21 psi, I started carrying an electric pump. I don't know how many cartridges you'd need to get an FJ's 180 tire over 30psi, but it's more than I want to deal with.

And if you have a second puncture or a slow leak, there's no plan "B". And of course an electric pump also lets you adjust pressure easily in ordinary circumstances; for example, you can check in the morning before blastoff to get an accurate cold reading, then adjust to taste without paying for gas station air. 

One last word of hard-earned advice: the rubber "mushroom" plugs and tools that have been peddled for years under the "Stop and Go" name are dangerous bunk. They simply do not and cannot stay put in motorcycle tires.

Been there, done that, I tried and tried and tried, but Stop and Go plugs just do not work. (I did get one to stay in a car tire for a while, but in motorcycle tires they pop out pretty quickly.) A Nealey kit is far less expensive, easier to use, and works every time, unless, of course, your tire is obviously too damaged for any sort of plug to work.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

A punctured tire is the most likely roadside repair motorcyclists have to deal with.  If you have been lucky enough to NEVER have been left with a flat, it's likely just a matter of time before you find yourself, or a buddy, in that situation!

That said, I've used the "gummie worms" many times to repair motorcycle and car tires, mostly without issue and usually left in place until the tire is worn out.  I've never concerned myself with the "name brand" of the gummies.  Just make sure to apply liberal amounts of rubber cement to the gummie when inserting.  Make sure to check the little tube of glue periodically, especially if you used part of it.  They WILL dry out if opened!!  

I too use small DC powered air compressors (one on each bike) and prefer the Stop-n-Go unit for its compactness.  On some trips, I'll throw a can of "Fix-a-flat" in the top box too, as long as space is available.  Helps with inflating and adds a 2nd layer of repair, though a PITA to clean up when demounting the tire later.  Small price to pay...

If you're concerned about running the gummies for the life of the tire, have a patch installed internally when you are able.  My last puncture on my FJ-09 required 2 gummies and Fix-a-flat to limp back to our ride HQ (happened while I was leading a group ride!) where we pulled the rear wheel, demounted the tire, cleaned and internally patched the tire, then remounted and installed the wheel. That tire is still on the bike, with a few thousand miles on the repair.

I've added the Stop-n-Go "mushroom" plugs to my arsenal on one bike, but have yet to use one, so I can't say anything good or bad about them.  They look like they would be fine for smaller round punctures, but probably not work well with any gash or elongated cut.  I still carry gummies.  Just another "tool" for a job.

And I HIGHLY recommend a TPMS system if your bike does not have one.  Saved my bacon with that last puncture...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Here's another inflation option: I carry this mini floor pump from Nuetech. Yes, you'll get a mighty workout using one of these, but it's guaranteed to work and packs small. I now carry this as a backup after learning the finicky nature of CO2 cartridges the hard way.

You can get good quality small pumps at bicycle shops, but I strongly recommend one that can be used as a floor pump. You probably don't want to inflate a motorcycle tire with a hand pump unless your name is Popeye and you brought extra spinach. 

2021_0218_07024100.thumb.jpg.e9224c7f88fdfd033246ca612ea45a23.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sirepair said:

I too use small DC powered air compressors (one on each bike) and prefer the Stop-n-Go unit for its compactness.  On some trips, I'll throw a can of "Fix-a-flat" in the top box too, as long as space is available.  Helps with inflating and adds a 2nd layer of repair, though a PITA to clean up when demounting the tire later.  Small price to pay...

I've added the Stop-n-Go "mushroom" plugs to my arsenal on one bike, but have yet to use one, so I can't say anything good or bad about them.  They look like they would be fine for smaller round punctures, but probably not work well with any gash or elongated cut.  I still carry gummies.  Just another "tool" for a job.

Stop and Go does sell a pretty decent compressor.

But, I can save you the trouble; those Stop and Go mushroom plugs are useless on motorcycle tires, no matter how perfect your puncture.

As far as the hand-powered mini pump, I know some of the more hardy stripes of dual-sport riders carry an electric pump, with a mini pump as a last-ditch backup. They do work... eventually.

I've wrestled tube tires on dual-sport bikes at the roadside several times... repairing tubeless tires is pure space age luxury. If there's any air left, I can usually get a Nealey repair in place pretty quickly on the vehicle without losing much air.

Edited by bwringer

The puncture I've had have been end of life for the tire so haven't had to plug a tire.  My fav was when I took my BMW in for routine service.  The tech found a screw in the rear tire so he removed it.  They called me and said I had a flat, I said no problem I have a tire for it but since it wasn't a new tire they would not mount it!  I went by and picked up the wheel and took it to Cycle Gear and had the tire mounted.   I usually have a spare rear tire as when I go on a long trip I'll put new tires on and keep the rear with 5,000 to 6,000 miles.  

Going to have to get some of the sticky strings mentioned in this thread.  I carry a small compressor and CO2 cartridges as backup but probably a good idea to have a hand pump as a backup to the backup.  I've been some pretty remote places where it would be a long wait for someone to come so need a good plan.

• Thumbsup 1