Oregon: 6th Annual Last Ride of the Year

keithu

• Premium Member

Hi folks! Time to start planning this year's Last Ride of the Year in western Oregon. Last year's location of See See Motor Coffee in Newberg worked pretty well, so I propose we do the same. Ride from wherever you are on December 31, 2021 to meet us at 12:00 noon at:

See See Newberg

101 East 1st St.

Newberg, OR 97124

Be there!

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:30 PM, keithu said:

Hi folks! Time to start planning this year's Last Ride of the Year in western Oregon. Last year's location of See See Motor Coffee in Newberg worked pretty well, so I propose we do the same. Ride from wherever you are on December 31, 2021 to meet us at 12:00 noon at:

See See Newberg

101 East 1st St.

Newberg, OR 97124

Be there!

I'll pencil it in, but probably have to work that day.

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Hi Keith, Sorry for the late reply. I'll be there, wouldn't miss it. This has become a Tradition! I hope others will join us! Putting it on the calendar right now.

See See Motor Cafe in Newberg is an easy place to get to regardless of the weather, and of course that time of year is always a wonderful opportunity for testing GorTex and tire traction. Come on you hardy Northwesterners, you are not going to let a little cool damp weather stop you from riding to a fun year end meet up with like minded moto head crazies and good cup of coffee! I look forward to seeing you all there.

See See Newberg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, Same here up in the West Hills...  My dog loves the snow too. I live at about 600 feet and we still have plenty. the forecast is for the heaviest snow later tonight, and it has dropped down to below 30 degrees here already. Well, a last chance yearly dance is becoming more and more doubtful. Rain has never stopped us, but snow and ice is another story entirely. Two weeks ago I stacked another half cord of nicely split stove wood, and perhaps it was just in time. 

We haven't missed one of these little year end celebratory rides in a long time, but indeed, we'll see! Damn, I hate to miss this little tradition.

IMG_0012.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Well, hey... The weather isn't too bad today. Unless all hell breaks loose tonight or tomorrow morning this ride is on as far as I'm concerned. I hope to see some of you at See See in Newberg tomorrow!

• Like 1

8:10 am West Hills, Portland... 32degrees, snowing lightly. Snow predicted through about 9:am. temps below freezing for the rest of the day at this location. Since I am in the hills riding on wet roads in below freezing temps may be sort of silly... but I am only about an hour+

away from the Newberg, so I won't give up until about 10:30 or so. Fingers crossed. I have never missed one of these and would hate to do so now!

• Thumbsup 1

Looking better all the time. Most of the reports show snow stopping around 10:ish and temps rising above freezing around 10/11:00ish and continuing suny-ish for the rest of the day, not great but not bad either. Looks like I can limp down off the hill and squish along to Newberg, maybe a bit late, but get there upright... What do you guys say?

It turned put to be a stunningly sunny winters day. Wet streets of course, nothing new in our part of the world. Once I dropped down a few hundred feet below the alpine heights of my West Hills Chateau, there were only remnants of snow here and there. Temps were low, but nothing that electric gear (Personnel favorite being Warm N Safe ) couldn't handle easily.

The usual die hard "Wouldn't miss this ride for the world" crowd showed up as expected (That being Keith of course), and we were disappointed as usual that there were no others interested in venturing out into this glorious sunshine to say a lovely moto goodby to what was a... questionable year. 

So, wishing you all a very much better year to come, with lots of wonderful and safe riding,  and good health to you and yours from me and the rest of the crowd (See attached) on this years 'anual year end ride'.

IMG_0013.jpeg

• Like 2

Indeed it was a nice day! The sky was blue, and sun was bright, and it was even a few degrees above freezing! It was so nice I took the long, long way home and put a hundred + miles on the clock. I got a few surprised looks from cagers along the way, and even saw one other rider. We stared at one another, surprised, and waved. Got home very happy at having succeeded in completing my 5th annual last day of the year ride... this year was definitely the coldest, but actually the driest. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, for those of you that missed out on this ride due to scheduling conflicts, or other issues and excuses, here is your chance for redemption! And of course for those of the masses of you that did show up for our own annual ride, another chance for a nice social Winters ride. No rain, no snow, and on a weekend day! This one even seems to have lunch included (I think?) As it happens Cascade Motor Classics, which is now the name of the BMW dealerships in Eugene and Tigard, and the Triumph dealership in Beaverton is sponsoring a 3rd or 4th (Can't remember) annul silly chilly Chili ride starting at the See See Motor Coffee location on Sandy Blvd in Portland at 9:00am this Sunday the 16th---no rain or snow scheduled. Wheels down scheduled at 9:30am, so be there at around 9:00am- no chickening out this time, running to about 3:00. No idea where this goes too, souSo will be a surprise--- sounds like big fun. 

Go here to sign up: https://cascademotogroup.com/chiliride/

Come on Hardy NW FJ riders, I look forward to seeing you there and riding with you. Don't tell me a few degrees of chilly weather will actually keep you from a fun ride and a bowl of chili or at least a cup of coffee with a bunch of other dedicated NW riders! We have a reputation to uphold!

Wow, The Todays Cascade Motor Classics Chili Ride attracted over 250 hardy NW riders! It was a bit cold, but all were well prepared as it looked like a joint Aerostich and KLIM convention, with hours of chat about which heated gear was the best. the new owner of this three store  BMW/Triumph dealership group is a class act. the ride was well organized with coffee stops along the way, and a catered Chili feed with six flavors including Vegetarian, Venison, Green, Beef, and a couple of other flavors, and all sorts of high qual condiments, cheeses, corn bread, beer, soft drinks, and plenty of friendly staff to help out. There was a hugh variety of bikes, but as you might imagine, it was a hard core, well traveled bunch that was not bothered by the weather. As it turned out, though a bit cold, the must advertised fog was only a bit of mist along the a short stretch of Sky Line Drive. This sort of thing is mostly a fun way to expand ones access to the wider hard core MC community, and I for one appreciate such opportunities to meet other like minded riders. This was a fun day!

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1