5-Year Summary

• Supporting Member

I'm with you.  Although I bought mine used, it had all the recalls taken care of.  The only thing it needed out of the gate was chain and sprockets.  For me the value is just tremendous; so much so that I just can't see buying a new one, even a GT spec, any time soon.

Your review just solidifies that I made the right decision.

I agree though, that quick shifter is tantalizing.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Can anyone tell me what recalls happened on the '15 FJ09's over here , and how can I check if the bike I've just bought will of had them carried out ? Bearing in mind the fella I bought her off is in the USAF and had the bike shipped over to England when he was stationed there , and might of missed any recall notices.

I had the gearbox recall carried out on my Gen 1 MT09 Tracer back home in England back in 2015 , and I think there was one for the handlebar clamps ? 

Cheers in advance 👍

5 hours ago, betoney said:

I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to the new Tracer 9 GT but I have already brought mine up to GT spec

I was also thinking about changing my 4 year old model but finally thought WHY?  I have a fantastic low mileage bike that I have spent time making the minor changes to make it suit me. When I test rode the Tracer 3 years ago the difference between the Honda CBF 1000 that I had and the Tracer made me desperate to empty my Piggy bank and throw money at the dealership. I feel that the difference between the Tracer I have now and the new Tracer 9 wouldn't be enough to want me to shell out £7,000 +my trade in to change.

My riding buddy has just recently traded his 3 year old GT for the new Tracer 9 and was singing it's praises and I have no dought it is a fantastic bike  His change was partly decided by the advantages of a new PCP deal and if I was in a similar arrangement who knows I might have changed as well.

P.S. Don't let the comments above make you change your mind if you are thinking of going for a new Tracer 9      GO FOR IT it is a major upgrade (and might give me more choice in a couple of years when I am looking to change for a used or as I prefer to say pre-loved GT9)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, pilgo said:

Can anyone tell me what recalls happened on the '15 FJ09's over here , and how can I check if the bike I've just bought will of had them carried out ?

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Pretty sure Yamaha has a VIN check for recalls on their site.

You could also go to any dealer and have a VIN check.

You might not have seen the response but @peteinpa answered your question right here.

All recall maintenance performed will be stored in Yamaha's database under you VIN.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Enter your VIN here.

Canadian VIN check:

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/vehicle-status-2

Odd, though, my VIN reads invalid.  Dbl checked the registration, and it matches.  Guess I need to have a closer look at the VIN plate.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

9 hours ago, knyte said:

Canadian VIN check:

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/vehicle-status-2

Odd, though, my VIN reads invalid.  Dbl checked the registration, and it matches.  Guess I need to have a closer look at the VIN plate.

Nice to see that we are not left out in the cold here in the Great White but that site seems useless....I tried my VIN and while the front brake switch recall does show up, it doesn't indicate whether the recall was performed on the bike. (which it was, on mine......7 weeks ago....)

Also, if you don't enter "the correct" postal code, you get:        "Invalid Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) not found or invalid"

So to check an older bike you may be interested in buying used, you are probably gonna be SOL

20 hours ago, knyte said:

I agree though, that quick shifter is tantalizing.

Its nice to have but its just as easy to mess up the 1-2 shift and end up in neutral at 9000 RPM...ask me how I know. 

Edited by Skidood
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

I am also 5-ish years in. I picked up my FJ-09 in March 2016. Still remember the ride home 😁. Other than a broken dash stay (heavy barn-door screen) and the valve lash scare... no real issues. It took a bit of $$ to bring it up in spec, but I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. It's all part of the experience I think. Bike is a thrill to ride, light enough to whip about the garage, and it's easy to work on. There are nice bikes out there... but there is nothing compelling enough for me to make the jump. It's definitely a keeper.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, piotrek said:

It took a bit of $$ to bring it up in spec, but I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. It's all part of the experience I think. Bike is a thrill to ride, light enough to whip about the garage, and it's easy to work on. There are nice bikes out there... but there is nothing compelling enough for me to make the jump. It's definitely a keeper.

I echo these words pretty much exactly.  Sure, spent a few bucks on my machine but made it my own and the journey taken in doing that was worth it IMHO.  I too have considered taking the leap to the 'next' machine but as you so perfectly highlighted - "there is nothing compelling enough for me to make the jump" so here I'll (happily) stay until there is something compelling enough.

Bottom line is that as a recreational rider my 2015 does everything that I want/need it to and it does it so reliably. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I echo these words pretty much exactly.  Sure, spent a few bucks on my machine but made it my own and the journey taken in doing that was worth it IMHO.  I too have considered taking the leap to the 'next' machine but as you so perfectly highlighted - "there is nothing compelling enough for me to make the jump" so here I'll (happily) stay until there is something compelling enough.

Bottom line is that as a recreational rider my 2015 does everything that I want/need it to and it does it so reliably. 🙂

Again, +1 !!!

As I've related before, bought my 15 new in July 16 but I'm not quite sure all the time (mainly) and shekels I've spent upgrading and "making it mine" were totally worth it.  I have a bunch of winter maintenance to do I'm really not looking forward to.  I'm just still tired all the time since my back surgery, and have two more rounds to go between now and next February.  It's super hard to get back in shape after 10 years of decline, especially when you're "+65".  I've been moding & wrenching on bikes since 71 and it's lost any semblance of its appeal in the last couple of years, as I'd rather be riding (or sleeping to escape the pain).  It's very difficult for me now to get motivated and maintain impetus to do anything.  But I'm poor and can't afford a new steed that has everything I'd want "turn-key", so I've gotta run what I brung for a few more years.  I also can't afford to have a shop do the maintenance, nor would I trust anyone to do it right anyway.  So eventually I'll see what shape I'm in physically and financially.

I wistfully considered a 21 Piaggio MP3 500 HPE Sport Advanced during my recent convalescence.  Very sad.  LOL, not.

I'm hoping next summer to be well enough to go on an a couple of 10-day +/- tours (which is what I bought my FJ for in the first place) but I'm not overly optimistic because I've got 19+ #s to burn off.  I had to buy an inexpensive (FirstGear) new mesh jacket & pants, and winter pants because I can't fit into my ole good stuff.  This is serious!!!

Other than a couple of overnighters, ALL the miles on my FJ are one-day out & backers.  That's a LOT of rides!  But it helps to at least blow out the cobwebs and forestall me loosing it and murdering some witless, half brain dead mouth breather cager for almost killing me either while riding or in my own cage.

I went out yesterday for what is likely my last ride for the season.  It got up over 50 and was sunny so I had to despite low motivation levels.  I was sore and very tired last night.  The wind really beat me up on top of the effect on my deplorable condition.

On the 14th my prostate gets the attention it's demanded for years since my last 3 rodeos.  Can you say "You don't know what pain is until...!"?  I'd guess for women childbirth is comparable.  Then my right shoulders gets its rotator cuff and other issues addressed.  Then...

But hey, it always could be worse.

I keep telling myself that.  My wife says nothing I have will kill me and I'll live forever, miserably.  Something to look forward to.

Happy holidays guys!

20211202_184304.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, Skidood said:

Its nice to have but its just as easy to mess up the 1-2 shift and end up in neutral at 9000 RPM...ask me how I know. 

So much so that I never, ever use the quickshifter between first and second.  It's like 50-50 if it'll make it into second or not.

Always a deliberate shift with clutch from first to second for me.  That's been a "feature" of all three CP engines I've owned, however - it's REALLY easy to blow that first to second shift, with or without a quickshifter.  My MT09 did it, my Tracer does it, and my Tenere does it too. 

Edited by Wintersdark

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

So much so that I never, ever use the quickshifter between first and second.  It's like 50-50 if it'll make it into second or not.

I have a vague memory from my GT test ride a few years ago and the salesman telling me before the ride that the quickshifter only worked above 4,000 revs and only in the top 4 gears or maybe 4th 5th and 6th. As i've said only a distant memory so could be mis-remembering and as much as I loved the GT I took out on test I went down the less expensive "pre loved" route when I went for the erlier model Tracer.