I Test Rode A Dual Clutch Transmission Today

betoney

• Supporting Member

Very cool.  I've heard nothing but good things about those bikes.  Part of me (ok most of me) wants to try one, but another part of me is thinking, gawdang them young un's on them new fangled thangs!  You'll pry my clutch lever outta my dead, cold hand!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Am I detecting a new (used) bike in your life?

I'm not sure if I could completely give up the CP3 motor, I would love to have a sport focused machine for local day rides and a slightly more comfortable longer distance mile muncher.  For today at least, I was just looking... 🙄

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I would own a VFR1200X DCT if it had factory cruise control…..gotta have it as I age and my hands are tired and cramped.  I am waiting on the rumored Transalp 750 DCT and hope it has cruise.  If so, it will replace my Tenere 700 and Tracer 900 GT.

I’ve ridden a couple of Africa Twins and the DCT wins hands down for me.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I would own a VFR1200X DCT if it had factory cruise control…..gotta have it as I age and my hands are tired and cramped.  I am waiting on the rumored Transalp 750 DCT and hope it has cruise.  If so, it will replace my Tenere 700 and Tracer 900 GT.

I’ve ridden a couple of Africa Twins and the DCT wins hands down for me.

You're in luck !!!

https://www.mccruise.com/collections/honda-bikecruise/products/honda-vfr1200x-crosstourer?variant=29471193006178

35 minutes ago, knyte said:

Very cool.  I've heard nothing but good things about those bikes.  Part of me (ok most of me) wants to try one, but another part of me is thinking, gawdang them young un's on them new fangled thangs!  You'll pry my clutch lever outta my dead, cold hand!

I agree with having a clutch lever to control. I was pleasantly surprised to see the cp3 with the cable clutch, being my last 2 rides were hydraulic and not as smooth ,also a lot more complex. That said the DCT,s in the Honda line are nice!

• Thumbsup 1

The thing that really bothers me with DCT, motorcycle and car. You can't skip gears and you always have to be in a gear. It's not as big of a deal on a motorcycle, but in my car, it's 1-2-3-6 most two lane roads. Had a DCT rental of my same car, it was frustrating. I've been know to go from 6th to 3rd on my bike, I bet I can get there faster than a DCT. On the other hand, that's probably not the type of driving they were catering towards so it's probably moot anyhow.

But have no fear, electric will make transmissions obsolete in my lifetime anyhow that is if we can make batteries substantial better.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, knyte said:

Part of me (ok most of me) wants to try one, but another part of me is thinking, gawdang them young un's on them new fangled thangs!  You'll pry my clutch lever outta my dead, cold hand!

I had a very similar mindset before test riding a Niken...  after which I was wholly impressed.

• Thumbsup 2

My one experience with a DCT was in a Porsche 911 GT3.  I could write a book about what an amazing machine it is and much of the conversation would center around the brilliant PDK dual clutch gearbox.  It's incredible.  

I do understand the desire to row your own gears but if I were buying a Porsche I would choose the PDK over the manual with zero hesitation!!!

• Like 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

With my left hand's issues I've been considering a Honda DCT like in their NC750X or whatever but its low power would kill me.  The VFRF1200 seemed heavy and expensive for what you got but used, hmmm.  Still not happening due to no money or space for another bike that I don't have the time or stamina yet to share riding time on.  

Thanks for the surprising review.

Do to my mobility issues, I want to try the Piaggio MP3 500 HPE Sport Advanced.  It even has a reverse gear! About $10k!  Storage space and pretty peppy. AND it stays upright at stops on its own!!!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

I’ve never tried a DCT, but getting a Zero I thought I would miss the control you get with a clutch. I was wrong. 😂

I got to test ride a Zero. As part of the safety review, they said, do NOT blip the throttle at a stop. You will get to know whoever is in front of you and their insurance agent very well. 

I would guess a DCT would be similar. Are you ever in neutral?

When my wife and I only owned manual transmission vehicles, it was an adjustment to drive an automatic and compensate for creep in stop and go traffic. 

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I got to test ride a Zero. As part of the safety review, they said, do NOT blip the throttle at a stop. You will get to know whoever is in front of you and their insurance agent very well. 

I would guess a DCT would be similar. Are you ever in neutral?

When my wife and I only owned manual transmission vehicles, it was an adjustment to drive an automatic and compensate for creep in stop and go traffic. 

Here is a photo from the internet showing the switches, there is also a switch above the red button to select auto or manual.  In manual mode you use the +/- shift paddles on the left handlebar (finger trigger or thumb) but they can also be used to over ride if you are in auto mode, just tap down with your thumb for a quick downshift.

crosstourer-92.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

This isn't a Harley, there is no 'need' to blip the throttle. 😄

When you start the bike it is in neutral, you tap the S/D button (sport/ drive) to the left once for drive or twice for sport 1, again for sport 2 and finally sport 3, you can feel it click into gear.  If you want to go to neutral at a stoplight you press the right side of the button to N.  Sport 1, 2 and 3 each have progressively higher rpm shift points, sport 3 (sportiest) was the only one of the three I used. 

• Thumbsup 1