How to install the valve cover gasket?

keithu

• Premium Member

I'm trying to wrap up a valve adjustment. Of all the complex tasks involved in this project, it's the most basic thing that's kicking my ass: I can't get the new valve cover gasket positioned correctly.

Really, I should have just left the old gasket stuck to the cover and re-used it because it was fine. I reused it the first time I checked the valves. But I bought a new gasket and figure I ought to install it just because.

So the root problem is this: I install the rubber gasket in the cover, but then when I try to install the cover the gasket keeps falling out. 

I have some Lucas assembly lube for valve train components. It's kind of tacky so I was thinking of putting some in the gasket channel to stick the gasket to the cover. 

Anyone have a better idea?

• Supporting Member

I use small dabs of high temp, quick set rubber cement/adhesive in several strategic spots, inside the cover groove. I leave it for 15min and the gasket stays put. Have the rad out as possible to give you space to work.

Quick set liquid gasket should work too. Best of luck.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I usually use a few strategic thin smears of Threebond 1184 case sealer. Not enough to affect the fit, but enough to keep the gasket stuck to the cover for a bit. You don't need to make a mess and more work in the future by covering the whole channel or anything; just use a few thin dabs in a few corners.

I've also used a few dabs of tacky grease in similar situations.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Other products to try if you have access to them: gasgacinch and I’ve also had luck with a small amt of grip glue if you need it to set fast. 
the key is to make sure ALL the oil is off of the surface. And be sure that the thicker areas of the gasket are pressed into the recess (some have this, can’t remember if CP3 cover does…)

-Skip

• Premium Member

Awesome tips, thanks everyone. Weird that I've never run into this before, but I think every other time I've installed a valve cover I either reused the rubber gasket that was still stuck to the cover, or it was a paper gasket with some gasket sealant.

• Thumbsup 1