Hand guard extensions

chris wilkins

3 hours ago, chris wilkins said:

Hi what's the verdict on these anyone got them if how well do they work??

Which ones?  I'm vaguely aware Givi has a set, but I haven't seen them.  Is there another set?   

I'd considered the Givi ones, but then I bought my OBR Adv Grip Mitts as they were both cheaper and seemed more likely to actually work.

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I have the Givi ones and they worked well at keeping the hands warm and dry. They are not inexpensive though.

+1 for Givis.  I think I've had mine since 2017 or 2018.  They keep a surprising amount of wind off of the hands.  Air temperature will be what it is so you may still get cold hands.  They work well in light, short duration rain, but water will get past them eventually.  Easy to install.  I usually keep them on the bike from Oct to maybe March and then swap them out for a pair of FZ09 bar ends.  There are a couple of little parts that can be easy to lose, so I screw or zip tie everything together in the spring before I throw them in my motorcycle storage box.  They are too warm to keep them on the bike during a Southern summer.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-eh2122-handguard-extensions-yamaha-fj-09-2015-2016

Like @Wintersdark said, pogies will keep your hands warmer and dryer. From his description he found a set that was safe and didn't push on the clutch/brake levers.  I feel claustrophobic just looking at them, but I've also never tried them.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:34 PM, chris wilkins said:

Hi what's the verdict on these anyone got them if how well do they work??

I have the barkbusters and they're top notch. They have a set with a bit larger profile as it has two pieces. Not as Space Ghost looking as the original kit on my 2017 FJ-09, but very effective and a more secure mount. You have to completely remove the originals to mount the barkbusters, but it's worth it.

Out of stock now (8.16.23) but here they are: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-vps-handguard-kit-yamaha-fj-09-fz-09-xsr900