Luggage lock re-keying??

Ok, I have a 2020 Tracer 900 GT with factory side cases.  I was finally able to get a new Yamaha 39l top case, and it came with 2 new keys and the lock cylinder (not installed).  I've been having a whale of time getting someone to re-key it.  Has anyone else run into this issue?  I've called at least a dozen locksmiths, but most seem confused about what I want, lol.

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Butrzrulz said:

I've called at least a dozen locksmiths, but most seem confused about what I want, lol.

It might be easier to bring the lock to the locksmith so he can see first hand exactly what is involved.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, betoney said:

It might be easier to bring the lock to the locksmith so he can see first hand exactly what is involved.

Well, I did take it to the only locksmith I could find with a physical location, and he said it couldn't be re-keyed (which left me a bit confused).

14 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:
Re-Keyable Lock part number…
2PP-F81C0-V0-00

Thanks, I actually called Yamaha to confirm that the lock could be re-keyed the confirmed it.  I wish I could just get the "pins" since my lock cylinder CAN be rekeyed.  Judging from the conversation with one of the locksmiths, I think they are under the impression that the lock cylinder is sealed.  

OK, you made me go and look up my old parts!  I have the 39L top case and re-keyed it with the Yamaha kit 2PP-F84A8-V0 kit.  Installation was simple and straightforward.  The key with came with the top case is different.  The Cylinder that comes with the kit uses the same key as the bike - all you have to do is pick the correct tumblers and install them and then put the new cylinder in your top case and presto the top case key is the same as your bike and sidecases.  There are 4 different tumblers and 4 locations for the tumblers.  Measure your key at each of the 4 tumbler locations and pick the appropriate tumblers.  Then the fun part.  Insert the tiny springs in the holes and then the tumbler in the corresponding slot.  Go to the next position and repeat until all 4 are done.  Then carefully compress the tumblers and insert barrel (tumbler holder) into the lock cylinder.  It is quite possible to have tumblers and tiny springs flying thru the air.  If you have fumble fingers its best to clear the area of small children and wives 🙂 before attempting.  

Really not a difficult task and afterwards you have a top case that is keyed to match the rest of the bike.  I really appreciate that as I dont have to fumble for a separate top case key or have another key to loose on a long trip.  

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

Well, I did take it to the only locksmith I could find with a physical location, and he said it couldn't be re-keyed (which left me a bit confused).

Thanks, I actually called Yamaha to confirm that the lock could be re-keyed the confirmed it.  I wish I could just get the "pins" since my lock cylinder CAN be rekeyed.  Judging from the conversation with one of the locksmiths, I think they are under the impression that the lock cylinder is sealed.  

This is a simple fix. Do a search on YouTube. There is a guy on there who shows how to do it with a bmw and the process is the same for a Yamaha. I did I it myself so you can too. This was discussed on this forum before. A thorough search on here will tell you everything you need to know.

Edited by Heli ATP
  • Thumbsup 1

Well, instead of paying a locksmith or ordering one of the Yamaha kits (why the blade inserts aren't just included with the lock cylinder is beyond me) I ended up removing two of the blades to make my ignition key work.  I swapped them to see if they would seat properly, but they didn't.  I was a small enough difference that I could probably file them down so I could place all 5 blade inserts I may revisit that later on.

• Thumbsup 4

Not a bad idea to just move the tumblers around to get it to work.  You still need a key, it is easier to "pick the lock" but only you and us know that.  People who don;'t have a key will assume that you have a key that works like all the others and probably won't even test it.  LOL you could probably remove all the tumbers and be just as secure.  Stick the key in and turn - folks won't know it cold be any key.  

The lock cylinder that came with my top case has a different pattern and my ignition key word even go into it.  If you got your top case used it was probably re-keyed already.  

7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Not a bad idea to just move the tumblers around to get it to work.  You still need a key, it is easier to "pick the lock" but only you and us know that.  People who don;'t have a key will assume that you have a key that works like all the others and probably won't even test it.  LOL you could probably remove all the tumbers and be just as secure.  Stick the key in and turn - folks won't know it cold be any key.  

The lock cylinder that came with my top case has a different pattern and my ignition key word even go into it.  If you got your top case used it was probably re-keyed already.  

I was initially going to remove all the tumblers, but since only two were "off" I went that way.  It's strange that you can find pin style tumbler kits easily, but I've only seen the blade style come in kits with another cylinder.  Can't see myself paying $30-40 for two tiny pieces of metal.  And, like I mentioned earlier, I can probably file the other two down to make them work.

Shuffling, filing, or removing wafers is a relatively common way to get all the locks working in unison on vintage bikes, get replacements working on the same key, or to compensate for extremely worn but un-replaceable keys, etc. You give up some portion of "security" for convenience, but thieves aren't running around picking or raking locks. If they want your stuff or your bike, they'll just break the lock or lever the case off.

In any case, the re-keying kit is 100% the way to go if that's available. If you're particularly nervous or fumbly, you could have a locksmith do the honors.

It is common for locksmiths to refuse anything having to do with motorcycles or motorcycle luggage for some damfool reason. I had to poke around Indy a fair bit to find a locksmith willing to actually do locksmithing (Broad Ripple Lock Service, in case you're local).

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

I have no problem doing these types of things for myself, the issue is just getting a kit with the blades instead of pins.  I don't necessarily want to pay for another lock cylinder if I don't have to (which is how Yamaha sells their rekey kit).  Like I said earlier, I don't understand why Yamaha doesn't include the set of tumbler blades with the top case lock cylinder kit.

Edited by Butrzrulz

• 7 months later...

Having fitted the top box on my Tracer 9 GT I ordered a new lock to rekey it to my ignition key.

Where other Yamaha instruction sheets have been incomprensible the instructions for the lock were really straightforward, and much easier than others may have thought from various videos.

The lock comes with a printed key template, which describes how to measure the key with callipers, and then which tumblers to insert in each of 5 sockets. Really easy and no need for trial and error!

img20220810_18252646.jpg

Edited by vic
  • Thumbsup 1