Tracer 900GT Panniers - Has Anyone added Pinstriping or Wrap?

Jayzonk

Just looking at my stark black panniers for my 2020 Tracer 900GT and wondering if adding some pinstriping to them might jazz them up a bit.  Not sure if the local pinstriping company can find a match to the orange/rust color pinstriping on the tank or not.  Is there a way of finding the pantone color match for those?  

Has anyone done any similar mods?

I've often thought the same thing about the panniers. I looked into having mine painted to match the rest of the bodywork, and a local body shop wanted $350 to just paint the lids, and would not guarantee a color match! WTF! 

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

Yes, that's a lot.  I'm thinking there must be a stripe match.  If it doesn't match, perhaps there's a flat black stripe that could give the panniers a bit of depth at least.  They could run alongside the rises long the side of the panniers, but not sure.  

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Yes, that's a lot.  I'm thinking there must be a stripe match.  If it doesn't match, perhaps there's a flat black stripe that could give the panniers a bit of depth at least.  They could run alongside the rises long the side of the panniers, but not sure.  

If not flat black then maybe silver?  There are enough silver bits on the bike that other silver highlights wouldn't look out of place. 

Here are a few examples of little silver accents I added to mine.  Subtle but noticeable.

image.thumb.png.fa7a2362e718b28cb4c69a80b29f5ddc.png

image.thumb.png.b69de9942dc96a70fc980abe2f368c51.png

image.thumb.png.8273c446fa7faba67e5eba2706060499.png

image.thumb.png.7547ef3615adf4d1608231111f296cdb.png

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Agreed.  Your panniers are not OEM.  What are they?  The stripes on them definitely look good!  Mounting bracket required?  
Agreed, matching the silver might work; if I can locate a pantone for the burnt orange color, I can probably get a good match.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Agreed.  Your panniers are not OEM.  What are they?  The stripes on them definitely look good!  Mounting bracket required?

They are the Shad SH36.  36 liter capacity.  Yes, mounting brackets are required, in the first photo I posted you can see the mount but its quite discreet.

This photo shows the bracket a little better.

image.thumb.png.ec27c403e98876b654e4df5980aa56e8.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I used a very close match of blue graphic tape on my 2019 GT saddle bags to break up the solid black.

626DC32A-3490-4FC2-B47D-CDCCCA30A95D.jpeg

Very nice, I like it.  👍

Just ordered this off of Fleabay.....

1/4" 6mm PIN STRIPE Car Wheel Rim TAPE Decal Vinyl Sticker w/ Tool CHROME COPPER
1/4" 6mm PIN STRIPE Car Wheel Rim TAPE Decal Vinyl Sticker w/ Tool CHROME COPPER

I'll see how it matches the OEM color then decide what to do with it.

Since the PO dropped this bike and scuffed the left pannier lid, I've been thinking about buffing the scratches out and giving the lids a little more "shine". Anybody done that?
  • Thumbsup 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

Well, I've watched a friend of mine remove minor scratches out of cars very effectively.  Rather than buffing them out, I suggest sanding them with a really fine grit, say 2000, then moving to a finer grit, say 3000.  Then you can see what you think of them.  You might decide to buff them then, paint them, or apply a vinyl wrap.  

I think buffing them from the first step could lead to some inconsistencies....high sheen in some places and low in others.  

Any autobody guys want to weigh in on this?

1 hour ago, Suzukiguy said:

Just ordered this off of Fleabay.....

I'll see how it matches the OEM color then decide what to do with it.

Since the PO dropped this bike and scuffed the left pannier lid, I've been thinking about buffing the scratches out and giving the lids a little more "shine". Anybody done that?

Let me know how it matches!  Was that the only width available?  Although the side panels are metallic copper, the OEM pinstriping is anything but...it's pretty flat, and it's a shade of orange/brown/copper that I couldn't name if my life depended on it.  

Edited by Jayzonk
Extend post

There are lots of width options on Ebay. I just picked this one to see how it matches. I figured I could always put it on the wheels if it is close enough to the OEM color???