Tracer 900GT Panniers - Has Anyone added Pinstriping or Wrap?

Jayzonk

On 12/26/2021 at 10:38 PM, Jayzonk said:

Let me know how it matches!  Was that the only width available?  Although the side panels are metallic copper, the OEM pinstriping is anything but...it's pretty flat, and it's a shade of orange/brown/copper that I couldn't name if my life depended on it.  

Got it today and it DOES NOT MATCH! Way too much "chrome" colored. Oh well! Gotta keep looking I guess.

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Premium Member

Nothing fancy, but added black reflective tape to the backs of both the panniers. you don't see it until the light hits it.
I've been told it's super bright & reflective. Then I added some white reflective pinstriping to the front wheel and sides panels.

IMG_20200825_115309.jpg

PXL_20210620_205059395.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, OutlanderBC said:

Nothing fancy, but added black reflective tape to the backs of both the panniers. you don't see it until the light hits it.
I've been told it's super bright & reflective. Then I added some white reflective pinstriping to the front wheel and sides panels.

IMG_20200825_115309.jpg

PXL_20210620_205059395.jpg

This looks fantastic and gets rid of the need for color matching.  Nicely placed and not overwhelming.  

On 12/26/2021 at 7:39 PM, whisperquiet said:

I used a very close match of blue graphic tape on my 2019 GT saddle bags to break up the solid black.

626DC32A-3490-4FC2-B47D-CDCCCA30A95D.jpeg

D98DA08B-4B69-40EE-9DEF-8C41B83E4FC1.png

My dealership accidentally ordered an extra decal kit when they replaced my fairing and let me keep the spares. I was going to cut those up and use for pinstripes. it's definitely an exact match lol.

• Thumbsup 1

On every bike I've bought, I've added reflective tape.  I'm very concerned with being seen when the sky is gray, the roads are gray, the cars are gray and the waterspray kicked up is gray and makes it all blend in together.

So what I do, is find some reflective tape on eBay or elsewhere.  It'll come in various colours and widths.  You can choose a contrasting colour or one that blends in with the bike's colour.  A cool part of it, is when it is in the right light in the day time, it stands out like factory pin-striping.  

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, Jayzonk said:

Rather than painting, there might be a good color wrap choice for the lids, with some minor trimming required around the reflector.  

I wrapped mine originally when I was going to wrap the whole bike; but I ended up pulling it off the lids and only wrapping the lower front "triangles" (mine's grey & red with white triangles; wanted them black).  Wrapping the lids is actually pretty easy - took me two tries to get it right (so have a bunch of extra vinyl) but once you have the technique down it's simple.  

No trimming needed for the reflector.  Get a heat gun, or even hair dryer.  Heat it, then run some fishing line underneath: it's just stuck on with some double sided body tape.  Heat and peel off the remaining tape, and if you still want them, just stick them back onto the wrapped lid with new bodywork tape.  They come off - and go back on - really easy, and the tape is readily available for just a couple dollars. 

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I wrapped mine originally when I was going to wrap the whole bike; but I ended up pulling it off the lids and only wrapping the lower front "triangles" (mine's grey & red with white triangles; wanted them black).  Wrapping the lids is actually pretty easy - took me two tries to get it right (so have a bunch of extra vinyl) but once you have the technique down it's simple.  

No trimming needed for the reflector.  Get a heat gun, or even hair dryer.  Heat it, then run some fishing line underneath: it's just stuck on with some double sided body tape.  Heat and peel off the remaining tape, and if you still want them, just stick them back onto the wrapped lid with new bodywork tape.  They come off - and go back on - really easy, and the tape is readily available for just a couple dollars. 

Cool.  Now matching my metallic burnt orange color is going to be fun.....

• Premium Member

I found some vinyl wrap that is pretty close to the '15 red that I applied to my panniers.  Not a perfect match, but close enough for me.

Many vinyl suppliers will send you a sample set if you request it.

Also, the matte black plastics are "Low Surface Energy" materials and need a prep agent to improve adhesion, like 3M 06396.

20180809_180715.thumb.jpg.4c8d8236e54f130eb0f5d49ec9a7b242.jpg

• Like 1