I need a new tyre/tire puncture repair kit.

• Supporting Member

Moving the bike around today I noticed my tyre repair kit hanging on it's velcro strap close to the rear tyre surface and in virtual tatters!  All that remained in the kit was the sticky worms and one CO2 cartridge.

For some background I have had attached a CO2 type kit that included the usual tyre reamer and inserter with sticky worms, glue, knife etc onto the top of my tail light assembly for at least a couple of years now and it has been solid (not loose) in that location.

I always check around the bike before going on a ride and it was fine before my last one.

By the looks of the soft bag that houses everything it appears that a gas cartridge may have gone off within the bag as one end looks blown out and the zip completely separated.  This is only conjecture on my part and it may simply be that it has been bouncing up and down on the rear tyre with the suspension.

Anyhow, I've got another (different) kit coming and have decided to remove all doubt about those CO2 cartridges and have bought a mini air compressor - also coming.  It's a cheapie but looks identical in every way to the Stop & Go one so hope it is just an unbranded one from the same factory.

While looking at the bag as it hovered over the rear tyre, I was thinking of the irony that could have been - reaming tool punctures tyre while all possibility of repairing said tyre bounces out of sight off the side of the road!  The horror!!

image.png.0946c48d79fc9fc72546e571ae8b6b6c.pngimage.png.448dd77124ce279612f29072358b6477.png20211229_102539.thumb.jpg.fc17b1c6c57dd5cea65e3fc3f8707737.jpg20211229_102617.thumb.jpg.b1c421ac5f8c9177baefbbf724e424d6.jpg

• Confused 1

• dazzler24 changed the title to I need a new tyre/tire puncture repair kit.
  • Premium Member

You seem for once to have been very lucky mate!

As we all know, Co2 while an inert gas still can mame.

I carried (and still do on my VTR) Co2 filler kits & sticky rope plugs for years and they worked OK but they are heavy, bulky, risky & a sometimes tricky PITA to use most often under the usual difficult circumstances.  On tour, I'd also carry a home modified small electric tire pump.  In the really early days I carried a spark plug hole air pump that was a joke.

For the last decade I've switched to the excellent Dynaplug tire repair system.  They have several models; i.e., https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Tubeless-Tire-Repair-Tool/dp/B00BBE7KAM/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B00BBE7KAM&psc=1

I also have their very compact, fast and reliable electric tire pump, which I've also seen under another brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Motorcycle-Inflator-Carbon-Ultralite/dp/B01G6NM9YE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3GYERFM40GPFT&keywords=dynaplug+micro+inflator+v2+air+pump+compressor&qid=1640782603&s=automotive&sprefix=Dynaplug+%2Cautomotive%2C251&sr=1-4

Yes, expensive kit (though I paid much less years ago) but you get what...

I like the Dynaplug design so much I bought their Pro kit for my cage. A decent Campbell-Hausfeld pump is a good companion choice for 4 wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Tubeless-Zippered-Balistic-Storage/dp/B00OIBP4BC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3GYERFM40GPFT&keywords=dynaplug+micro+inflator+v2+air+pump+compressor&qid=1640782603&s=automotive&sprefix=Dynaplug+%2Cautomotive%2C251&sr=1-5

i.e., https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Accessories-Campbell-Hausfeld-AF010400/dp/B0737L2CZQ/ref=asc_df_B0737L2CZQ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920803409825&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382581132&psc=1

BTW, we finally got our first measurable snow fall yesterday!  Breaking the lateness record by 7 days.

Now I'm really, truly in a funk.  I hate winter here, and miss San Diego more each year, having emigrated from there now 40 years ago.  Best weather and  back roads in the world IMO.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have also had good luck with the Dyna-plug kit, I carry one on each bike. Spend the extra money and get the all metal one, I've found it much easier to use than the plastic one.  

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
Just now, roadrash83 said:

I have also had good luck with the Dyna-plug kit, I carry one on each bike. Spend the extra money and get the all metal one, I've found it much easier to use than the plastic one.  

I carry the Dyna-plug as well, luckily I have only had to use it once but it was quick and easy to use and the plugs (I had to use 3 in the puncture) lasted the life of the tire.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

For the last decade I've switched to the excellent Dynaplug tire repair system.

17 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I carry the Dyna-plug as well, luckily I have only had to use it once but it was quick and easy to use and the plugs (I had to use 3 in the puncture) lasted the life of the tire.

If three wise men say that the Dynaplug system is the way to go then I'm in.

Ordered the Aluminium Pro kit a few minutes ago (thanks for the 'metal' tip @roadrash83)

I do like the fact that the Dynaplug system is so compact, light and simple in operation.  Yes, you do pay more for it but hey, I guess money was made round to go round after all. 🙂

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions. 👍

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
On 12/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, dazzler24 said:

Anyhow, I've got another (different) kit coming and have decided to remove all doubt about those CO2 cartridges and have bought a mini air compressor - also coming.

Years ago I bought a 'tire repair kit' that included C02 cartridges, I looked at the size of the tire and then the size of the cartridge and decided it would probably be a futile effort and would end up having to use a dozen or more to make a difference. - I cant say for sure though, I never tried them.  I will stick with the mini compressor.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

If three wise men say that the Dynaplug system is the way to go then I'm in.

Ordered the Aluminium Pro kit a few minutes ago (thanks for the 'metal' tip @roadrash83)

I do like the fact that the Dynaplug system is so compact, light and simple in operation.  Yes, you do pay more for it but hey, I guess money was made round to go round after all. 🙂

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions. 👍

I was also at the recent Manger event...

I linked the Pro in my initial post...multiple tubes makes it easy n fast when more than one spiked thread is required to seal A puncture.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Tubeless-Tire-Repair-Tool/dp/B00BBE7KAM/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B00BBE7KAM&psc=1

Saliva on the thread aids in feeding it into the tube.

B-Man, I've used the Co2 filler, a rear tIre takes about 8 to 10 12 gram cartridges to get over 36 psi; enough pressure to get you to a gas station air hose.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was also at the recent Manger event...

Thought that was you. 🤣

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I linked the Pro in my initial post...multiple tubes makes it easy n fast when more than one spiked thread is required to seal A puncture.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Tubeless-Tire-Repair-Tool/dp/B00BBE7KAM/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B00BBE7KAM&psc=1

You did indeed which, along with the roadrash man's suggestion, clinched the deal for me. 👍

Happy new year... it's almost here!  Let's hope the new year is an improvement on the last...and the one before that!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

My mini compressor arrived today and I must say that I was surprised at the actual size of it!

It's smaller and lighter than the string type repair kit that arrived at the same time!  I won't be using the string repair kit on the bike as I've got the Dynaplug kit coming (after intense pressure from a trio of forum members 😉)

Gave it a test and while the gauge is a bit coarse in scale I found it to be reasonably accurate against my calibrated hand held guage.

All in all I'm impressed for AU~$30 (US~$21).

Now, let's hope I never have to use it 😏

20220104_114536.thumb.jpg.c6ed2c1232fa347c3765c597ce427b43.jpg

20220104_113134.thumb.jpg.0ffebc7e75b045b4a206e73e5a140429.jpg

20220104_111926.thumb.jpg.f8a69c63f09af83da8eed3b9e2db8ae2.jpg

20220104_112145.thumb.jpg.468da8cef7b678566ab0effb5629b84c.jpg

20220104_112243.thumb.jpg.c50268dace7778c7f3913bf6aa9c99af.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but If I recall, the pump draws around 6-amps. (I have the Stop&Go version).
The 12volt outlet on the 2015 model is on a 2amp fuse. I recall having to replace the fuse for some reason & I think it was this.

I removed the 12v plug from my pump kit to prevent forgetting this. I only have the alligator clips.

• Supporting Member

The little pamphlet that came with mine said 4A max.

I used the aligator clips for the initial test but intend to use a CTEK adaptor with an inline fuse to interface into the battery.  I use a CTEK charger so makes sense for me.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, OutlanderBC said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but If I recall, the pump draws around 6-amps. (I have the Stop&Go version).
The 12volt outlet on the 2015 model is on a 2amp fuse. I recall having to replace the fuse for some reason & I think it was this.

I removed the 12v plug from my pump kit to prevent forgetting this. I only have the alligator clips.

You can add either an SAE or Coaxial power plug connected direct to the battery via 10 or even 15 amp fuse (based on wire gauge and also used to power electric heated clothes, connect a battery tender, etc), and buy or make your own SAE or Coaxial adapter with a cigarette lighter power socket to plug the air pump into...

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You can add either an SAE or Coaxial power plug connected direct to the battery via 10 or even 15 amp fuse (based on wire gauge and also used to power electric heated clothes, connect a battery tender, etc), and buy or make your own SAE or Coaxial adapter with a cigarette lighter power socket to plug the air pump into...

Great minds think alike 2&3 as that's exactly/similar plan for me.

I've got one of these coming which will allow me to use the ciggy adaptor in the compressor kit and also allow me to use my inflatable bed pump that draws more current than the OEM ciggy sockets (and wiring) safely allow.

My battery tender is a CTEK and I have a female socket hard wired to the battery FYI.

image.png.b564772f63348a38f66e221b5bdea7cc.png

• Premium Member

CTEK is available here but the Deltran Battery Tender for years has dominated the US market being one of the first smart chargers.  As Deltran chose the US SAE polarized plug, it has continued to be almost universally been adopted for many manufacturers.  However, in terms of ease of use, size and electrical amperage transfer efficiency, the coaxial connector is IMO the best, which is why most heated gear producers adopted it.  I have converted all of my power connections to coaxial but also have a redundant SAE plug connected to the battery.  I carry an electrical adapter kit that enables interchangeable use of my SAE and coaxial power plug devices.

https://www.amazon.com/VONVOFF-Pigtail-Connector-Security-Lighting/dp/B086DKWJ2H/ref=asc_df_B086DKWJ2H?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195721143468&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795270095776&psc=1

You have to verify what size plug your heated gear uses; i.e., 5.5 x 2.1 (most common) or 5.5 x 2.5

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Replacement-5-5x2-5mm-Connector-Shrinkle/dp/B07K4XLFQS

Have I mentioned recently I'm an engineer that started out at GD Convair back when Atlas Centaur was their bread and butter launch vehicle but we were simultaneously building the 6 Space Shuttles?  LOL

Convair's company moto was "Only right is right!"

A good thing to strive for, with redundant redundant backup systems the key to succes, because with rockets you only get one shot at a successful launch...

• Thumbsup 1