Anyone look at the new Suzuki GSX-S1000GT or GTA?

Looks pretty good, but like @betoneyI'm not a huge fan of all the plastics.  I suppose it's more a "classic" sport tourer (that is, an overweight fully faired sportbike) but I prefer the more Naked Bike/ADV hybrid style the Tracer has.

With that said, the Suzie is at least way better looking than the new Honda, which particularly in the silver colourway is about the most boring looking new bike I've seen this year.  And that Suzie DOES look very fun to ride.

• Thumbsup 3

8 hours ago, Ride365 said:

No centerstand, that's a killer for me.....otherwise it's the bike I've been waiting for Zuk to build.

I haven't checked to see if it's an accessory.  Have you?  For lubing the chain, I don't mind rolling the bike ahead as I apply it, not a big deal.  Tire repair on the other hand is going to be out if you can't get the back wheel off the ground, I think?  Or can the plug system still work?  

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Looks pretty good, but like @betoneyI'm not a huge fan of all the plastics.  I suppose it's more a "classic" sport tourer (that is, an overweight fully faired sportbike) but I prefer the more Naked Bike/ADV hybrid style the Tracer has.

With that said, the Suzie is at least way better looking than the new Honda, which particularly in the silver colourway is about the most boring looking new bike I've seen this year.  And that Suzie DOES look very fun to ride.

Of all the big sport tourers, I think it's pretty light, though.  I think the H2SX, Concours, FJR all have 75 to 100 lbs on it.  Not dissing any of those particular bikes....some guys like the weight and the planted feel.  Depends on what you're after.  

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Me too.  Pretty smitten with my 2020 GT and no real complaints.  Just for pure hobby's sake, I was thinking about adding the Ohlins front and back, to perhaps add some plantedness feeling in the suspension.  I'd like to at least experience the difference and see what I'm missing.  

• Thumbsup 3

On 1/1/2022 at 12:12 AM, Skidood said:

LOVE the look of it and I'm perfectly OK with leaning forward a bit more as it seems to take a bit of weight off my squashed discs.  The Tracer gives you a 100% completely upright rider position (unless you have really short arms) and this is my only complaint about the Tracer.  What I don't like on the GSX is the little teeny weeny headlights.  I think they reduce your visibility to careless cagers, and so that's a showstopper for me.

Sorry for the thread hijack to begin with. 

Sitting here recovering from a herniated L5/S1 disk and have been wondering whether I'll need to give up bikes or at least change the tracer.  Pain is still fresh in my mind and likely colouring my thinking, never felt pain like it. 

Docs recommended surgery but I'm trying to keep that as a last resort.  Would appreciate any advice you could give on continuing to ride once the disk is healed.  Can't imagine not having a motorcycle but it's nearly impossible to stand up out of my chair without forward planning at the moment. 

Well, I have a pretty serious back issue as well, and I highly recommend ATTACKING the back problem before anything else.  For me, I have a personal trainer who works with me in the gym twice a week, and my back problem has been greatly minimized.  My personal trainer is worth more to me than my doctor, any chiropractor, physiotherapist.  

Let things heal, then work with a personal trainer who understands these issues and can start building you from your core up.  Keep it up twice a week...forever.  He has me squatting and deadlifting again...two things I have feared and swore I could never do again in my life, but here I am doing that, and strengthening my back in the process.  
Once you get solid, you won't be worried about what bike you need to switch to.  That being said, a DR650 with its cush drive would be lighter, easier to mount, and good for some short rides.  Or an SV650.  But, as I say, hang on, get your trainer, heal and build.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Jayzonk, appreciate the reply. 

I'm just getting the strength back in my right leg now after 6 weeks,  lost strength in leg and right foot was numb. Scary stuff for what I thought was a simple sports injury.

I'm taking recovery very slowly as the lowered back is still sore and still getting sciatic pain if I overdo activity.  Don't have the time or money for a personal trainer and never a gym goer.  Due to covid I haven't heard back from the hospital either so I'm mainly relying on time and difene to heal the injury.

I might go have a sit on the suzuki and see if the forward lean helps.  I had a few honda Cbr1000f's and loved them and they had a non aggressive forward lean so maybe the new suzuki is is spiritual successor. 

12 hours ago, roy826 said:

I have the all Black US GT+ model on order. Looking like a April 2022 delivery I hope.

All black?  I looked at the US website but didn't see it.  I like both current color combos - silver/black or red/black.  

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

All black?  I looked at the US website but didn't see it.  I like both current color combos - silver/black or red/black.  

On the US website it is offered in blue or black.

https://suzukicycles.com/street/2022/gsx-s1000gt-plus

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I would have picked the Triton blue one that every other market gets but the US oddly doesn’t get that color. I even love the blue wheels on the Triton colored bike. 

My 2021 GSXR-1000R 100th anniversary model is Triton blue and silver. My last road race bike was Triton blue with the SUZUKI graphics plastered on the side. I’m fond of that color but not the matte color blue the US market gets so I ordered a black one. 

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, DubT9 said:

Cheers Jayzonk, appreciate the reply. 

I'm just getting the strength back in my right leg now after 6 weeks,  lost strength in leg and right foot was numb. Scary stuff for what I thought was a simple sports injury.

I'm taking recovery very slowly as the lowered back is still sore and still getting sciatic pain if I overdo activity.  Don't have the time or money for a personal trainer and never a gym goer.  Due to covid I haven't heard back from the hospital either so I'm mainly relying on time and difene to heal the injury.

I might go have a sit on the suzuki and see if the forward lean helps.  I had a few honda Cbr1000f's and loved them and they had a non aggressive forward lean so maybe the new suzuki is is spiritual successor. 

I had a herniated disk over 20 years ago.  Used to play golf a couple of times a week but stopped.  Went to a chiropractor for months but gradually made progress and am now good.  I take care of my back with good lifting techniques etc and try to not lift too much.  Know something of what you are going thru.  I could drive but walking was very difficult and was hard to sleep.  Spent a lot of time lying on the floor watching TV.  My first bike was a Ninja 250, then a Yamaha FZ6.  I really like the forward lean position.  After the FZ6 got a 2012 CBR600RR.  That was a leaned forward ride but I got along with it well.  Biggest issues were hard seat (duh its a sport bike) and weight on the wrists.  Core strength is important and gripping the tank with my knees and building core muscles helped with ability to keep weight off wrists.  At speed wind props you up, it's the slow speed stuff that gets hard on the wrists.  I rode to work every day.  Good part was it helped my back.  Building core strength thru riding and the leaned forward position which did not put compression forces on my back really helped my back.  After the CBR600RR came a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 which was similar.  When I retired I traded the ZX6R for a BMW F800GT.  It was more upright but softer suspension but noticed the difference in how my back felt.  I got used to it and did many long days on the bike - 26,000 miles in 2 years.  Then the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.  Similar seating position to the BMW.  Used to tell my chiropractor two things made my back better, splitting wood and riding my motorcycle.  Both were good for strengthening core muscle groups which helps the back.  As other have said first get the back stabilized then the motorcycle.

Have looked at photos and specs of the Suzuki.  Looked at the predecessor and thought seriously about buying one but got a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 instead.  The predecessor was a faired version of the naked bike but not really a touring bike.  Rear subframe was too weak.  Suzuki has lagged the other manufactures in electronic aids like ABS and traction control.  The new bike has good styling and all the good from the old bike with a very well done instrument panel.  Why is it so hard for manufactures to get the integration of a cell phone and a display?  Suzuki gets it right.  The weight is very nice as well.  I contemplated the Ninja 1000 but do not want the weight.  My 2020 Tracer 900 GT is on the heavy side of what I'd like.  However some big omissions, no center stand or IMU.  IMU brings so much value to the electronics.  I could live without the IMO (don't have it now) but center stand is essential for a long ride.  Repairing a flat lubing chain etc. really need a center stand.  Think their exhaust placement precludes a center stand.  HP would be nice but the Tracer has enough for me.  If I was buying today it would be the Tracer 9 GT.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:15 PM, roy826 said:

I would have picked the Triton blue one that every other market gets but the US oddly doesn’t get that color. I even love the blue wheels on the Triton colored bike. 

My 2021 GSXR-1000R 100th anniversary model is Triton blue and silver. My last road race bike was Triton blue with the SUZUKI graphics plastered on the side. I’m fond of that color but not the matte color blue the US market gets so I ordered a black one. 

Agreed, that's a sweet color combo.  There's just too many black vehicles around IMHO.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, PhotoAl said:

I had a herniated disk over 20 years ago.  Used to play golf a couple of times a week but stopped.  Went to a chiropractor for months but gradually made progress and am now good.  I take care of my back with good lifting techniques etc and try to not lift too much.  Know something of what you are going thru.  I could drive but walking was very difficult and was hard to sleep.  Spent a lot of time lying on the floor watching TV.  My first bike was a Ninja 250, then a Yamaha FZ6.  I really like the forward lean position.  After the FZ6 got a 2012 CBR600RR.  That was a leaned forward ride but I got along with it well.  Biggest issues were hard seat (duh its a sport bike) and weight on the wrists.  Core strength is important and gripping the tank with my knees and building core muscles helped with ability to keep weight off wrists.  At speed wind props you up, it's the slow speed stuff that gets hard on the wrists.  I rode to work every day.  Good part was it helped my back.  Building core strength thru riding and the leaned forward position which did not put compression forces on my back really helped my back.  After the CBR600RR came a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 which was similar.  When I retired I traded the ZX6R for a BMW F800GT.  It was more upright but softer suspension but noticed the difference in how my back felt.  I got used to it and did many long days on the bike - 26,000 miles in 2 years.  Then the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.  Similar seating position to the BMW.  Used to tell my chiropractor two things made my back better, splitting wood and riding my motorcycle.  Both were good for strengthening core muscle groups which helps the back.  As other have said first get the back stabilized then the motorcycle.

Have looked at photos and specs of the Suzuki.  Looked at the predecessor and thought seriously about buying one but got a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 instead.  The predecessor was a faired version of the naked bike but not really a touring bike.  Rear subframe was too weak.  Suzuki has lagged the other manufactures in electronic aids like ABS and traction control.  The new bike has good styling and all the good from the old bike with a very well done instrument panel.  Why is it so hard for manufactures to get the integration of a cell phone and a display?  Suzuki gets it right.  The weight is very nice as well.  I contemplated the Ninja 1000 but do not want the weight.  My 2020 Tracer 900 GT is on the heavy side of what I'd like.  However some big omissions, no center stand or IMU.  IMU brings so much value to the electronics.  I could live without the IMO (don't have it now) but center stand is essential for a long ride.  Repairing a flat lubing chain etc. really need a center stand.  Think their exhaust placement precludes a center stand.  HP would be nice but the Tracer has enough for me.  If I was buying today it would be the Tracer 9 GT.

Can you not fix a flat with the vulcanizing plug method without the centre stand?  I would have thought you could roll it to the right spot, prep, patch, vulcanize and fill regardless of whether the bike was on the stand.  Doesn't the air pressure push the bike up?