So is it Settled? What's the best suspension setup for the Tracer 900GT?

Jayzonk

I'm running a 2020 Tracer 900GT and yes, perhaps I will relent on my previous comments and submit to a suspension upgrade PRIMARILY for the fact that I want smoother actuation over highway bumps.  I'm just wondering if someone can direct me to the threads that have the most tried and true setups for my model year.  
I'm thinking that a good modification might get me to the 2021 level of suspension performance on the new 9GT.  

do a search lots of information, but this is a summary

Best Value

some sort of re-valving of the front forks  600.00

basic upgraded rear suspension   900.00

Mid Range

re-valving  600.00

top tier rear shock with full adjustability  Penske 8983/Ohlins YA537  1,200.00

Top tier

full cartridge inserts AK20/Ohlins NIX 30 fork Cartridges  1,400.00

top tier rear shock with full adjustability  Penske 8983/Ohlins YA537  1,100.00

plus labor.

• Thumbsup 3

There is a difference between suspension setup and suspension components.

Setup is the settings for dampening and preload.

Components are the dampening valving and the spring and its spring rate and such.

There is not one combination of settings or components that will work for all the types of road surface irregularities in the real world. If you think there is, get that idea out of your head. 

A motorcycle suspension has two functions….ride quality and handling. Setup for ride quality, handling will suffer, setup for handling ride quality will suffer.

Setting up a motorcycle for street riding is way different than for track riding or racing. For track, ride quality is not really considered whereas handling does.

What setup works for you on the street depends soley on you and what you want from the suspension.

Want more smoother ride, set it up that way, just remember handling will suffer under certain riding conditions. Want handling, setup it up that way, just remember ride quality will suffer.  

It comes down to what you want to compromise on. 

The shape of the bump or dip plays a major role in how the suspension works and feels. This is why no one suspension setting is suitable for all road conditions.

If you dont understand the effects of changing settings, you are wasting your money on upgrading components. Even upgrading components requires you to adjust the settings to suit your riding style and types of road surfaces.

I suggest getting a static suspension setup and then play with the settings to get a understanding how each change feels and effects the mototcycle. 

Its all about compromise …….

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 4

Of course!  I suspect that any setup you use will be better if you are starting with better components.  My biggest issue (and it's not that big) is that there seems to be some excessive rebound (which might have been better with  a slightly longer wheelbase, like the 9GT) and a bit of a "clack" when I go over larger pavement cracks.  It's not really an issue but thought that better suspension might smooth it out.  As for handling, I'll adjust my riding style to match the setup.  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, Jayzonk said:

Also slightly distracted by the scheme on the rear panniers?  Is that paint or a wrap?  

That is paint - these are from a 2003 FJR1300. The owner of the dealership I bought this Tracer from had them sitting in a back-room, collecting dust, so he just gifted them to me. I migrated the key locks over from the factory bags, so one key still does it all. FJR1300 side cases are a direct fit on pre-2021 Tracers, and of course hold considerably more than the stock hard bags. It can hold a full-face Shoei - not even the 2021+ Tracer hard bags can do that.

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Can any reputable bike shop do the Ohlins swap on a Tracer?  Or is it best to go to a RaceTech dealer?  

For the shock, there are no special tools required, remove the old shock and install the new one.  The fork cartridges require a few special tools, some 'mechanics' might not have the special tools that a suspension shop does.  Just call the service center and ask.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

so I received my new suspension. 2019 900GT

Front cartridge 20IDS (do not have actual part yet so will update specifications when I get these delivered)

Ktech Razor R rear shock (has arrived and is in my hands ready to install)

part number 279S-014-270-021
rider is 225 - 245lbs 

no two up riding is done.

only ride mountains and track, (track is slow intermediate or fast novice)

adjustable shock length 227.5 - 337.5(delivered is 330mm)

adjustable Compression (remote adjustable 30 clicks)

Adjustable PreLoad (on shock)

Adjustable Rebound  (on shock 32 clicks adjustable)

spring is 46-180-105

maybe all newer rear shock's have this, but my older Ohlins and wilbers did not, the Ktech R has a Preload collar on the top and bottom.  so, whichever works on our bike better you can adjust.  For some reason this has piqued my interest as a cool feature 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:44 AM, duckie said:

There is a difference between suspension setup and suspension components.

Setup is the settings for dampening and preload.

Components are the dampening valving and the spring and its spring rate and such.

There is not one combination of settings or components that will work for all the types of road surface irregularities in the real world. If you think there is, get that idea out of your head. 

A motorcycle suspension has two functions….ride quality and handling. Setup for ride quality, handling will suffer, setup for handling ride quality will suffer.

Setting up a motorcycle for street riding is way different than for track riding or racing. For track, ride quality is not really considered whereas handling does.

What setup works for you on the street depends soley on you and what you want from the suspension.

Want more smoother ride, set it up that way, just remember handling will suffer under certain riding conditions. Want handling, setup it up that way, just remember ride quality will suffer.  

It comes down to what you want to compromise on. 

The shape of the bump or dip plays a major role in how the suspension works and feels. This is why no one suspension setting is suitable for all road conditions.

If you dont understand the effects of changing settings, you are wasting your money on upgrading components. Even upgrading components requires you to adjust the settings to suit your riding style and types of road surfaces.

I suggest getting a static suspension setup and then play with the settings to get a understanding how each change feels and effects the mototcycle. 

Its all about compromise …….

Good points.  I've said it before my biggest issue is I take lots of long trips and the softer stock suspension is nice. However when I get to some twisty roads even fully loaded I like to play.  The T9GT intrigues me with the on the fly changes with the electronic suspension.  However still thinking a good rear shock sprung for something between my weight empty and fully loaded.  Preload should be able to get it where it needs to be when loaded.   I tend to ride what I've got and try and adapt to the limitations, the stock suspension seems to be working OK with setting changes.  I'm really torn between dropping $2,000 to $3,000 on suspension and just waiting till I move to a T9GT - probably in a couple of years and close to 60,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, Jayzonk said:

I'm running a 2020 Tracer 900GT and yes, perhaps I will relent on my previous comments and submit to a suspension upgrade PRIMARILY for the fact that I want smoother actuation over highway bumps.  I'm just wondering if someone can direct me to the threads that have the most tried and true setups for my model year.  
I'm thinking that a good modification might get me to the 2021 level of suspension performance on the new 9GT.  

I watched This Video and took a few notes while watching. Went into the garage and spent about 45 minutes on my 2019 900GT and after riding is like a totally different motorcycle. It's well worth a small amount of your time for the benefit of a well functioning suspension system.

Before starting be sure your tires are at the proper pressure and chain is properly adjusted.

• Thumbsup 1