New tires - Con. RA3

jamespz03

I went back and forth on the Bridgestone S22's and Continental Road Attack 3's. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered them in early Nov. from my shop and they were put on yesterday. Yeah, shipping delays were surprising.

First impressions: The bike felt planted yet silky smooth on all surfaces. I think it fixed quite a bit of harsh feedback from the OEM tires (rough on smooth surfaces, lots of buzz in the handlebars, rough riding over bumps (think teeth chattering), etc.

I only took them for about a 30 minute ride but it was amazing. Smooth in turns over bumps, I could easily adjust (sharpen) lines mid-turn, etc. This was riding about 50%. They are worth the money imo and I got them fairly cheaper since my shop was willing to price match. 

I know this is a short, short term review but I'm in love already. Consider them if you're looking for new tires.

Thanks to @daboo for the solid recommendation.

Edited by jamespz03
  • Thumbsup 2

The Continental Road Attack 4 will be coming out in January.  It remains to be seen what improvements they can make on an already excellent tire...and at what price they will charge for that improvement.

I'm going to watch the tire prices, sales and rebates in the coming months.  I may just pick up another set of these and store them in the garage.

We don't think of tires making that much difference, but they do.  The profile of the tire makes a big difference.  How much effort do I need to do to make the bike take a line in a turn...or how much do I find they tip in so easily that I'm having to correct.  I found these tires to just match my riding style perfectly.

When I bought Dunlop RS4s last, I kept trying to figure out why they felt so harsh...and I'd come from a set of Conti RA3s.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I had Road Attack 3's on my previous FJR and found them to be the best tire I have ever used. No scrub-in necessary with these and held the road like glue in all conditions. I have a 2021 9GT now with the OEM Battle Axes. They are good tires for OEM but I will put the Conti's after I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

Conti RA3 has one disadvantage. They don’t warm up easily, and not at all at low temperatures.

I had a set on my previous bike, riding every day commuting. So also in the low temps season. Every tire has problems warming up then, but for the RA3 it was more pronounced.

Went back to the Michelin Road 5 and this problem did not occur anymore.

RA3 is a very good tire otherwise. But currently, all major brand tires are good. Just minimal differences between them.

• Thumbsup 1