Alternator cover replacement question.

johnmark101

Going to replace the alternator cover due to an accident.  Looks like I will need to drain the coolant as the water pump cover has to come off as well.

Do I need to drain the oil as well for this??  It appears not but I don't want to make a big mess of things.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Have never done it so can't directly answer your question. I'm almost positive you wouldn't need to drain oil though for this, but why not just wait till oil change time for replacement of it. If you have manual I'm sure it would tell you.

• Supporting Member

Our bikes should be close enough - this should give you at least a rough idea:

TL;DR, yes, you will need to drain the oil & coolant, and replace a handful of washers/o-rings/gaskets and one 'water pipe' (which is a very short aluminum tube).  You will need a bit of lithium grease for re-assembly.  Easy enough job, just lots of pieces.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount