New Year's Eve Sadness

Warchild

😥  😥  😥  😥  😥  😥  😥   No end-of-the-year ride. Likely no New Year's Day ride either, is my guess. 

NoMotorcycling31Dec21.thumb.jpg.d24bc25af81097565a782562ea1bf136.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, living down south we have cold snaps during the winter. Once every 3 to 5 years we get snow or an ice storm usually in February. Hope the Desert west just has cold snaps also! 

Just thought about it. It depends on your altitude. I rode to Santa Fe New Mexico in October of 83 for a Dead show on my 1976 CB750. Rode from Venice Beach Ca. Yeah I brought 1 pair of jeans and 1 flannel shirt. Thought it's October, it's the desert, it will be like Venice beach. Didn't figure in the altitude. 

Edited by tktplz
Thought about desert altitude

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

When I lived in San Francisco in 1973, I rode out to Yosemite for the 4th of July

It was gorgeous. Camped out in the same grove of trees near Yosemite Valley with a bunch of Hell's Angels who left me alone because I was on my BSA.

Coming back into the city, I was wearing my I usual leather bomber jacket, a T-shirt, jeans, skiveys, engineer boots, long gauntlet leather gloves, and the 1st full face helmet Shoei ever imported into the United States. It got colder and colder as I got closer to the city, and it was windy as heck even in July.  I was almost getting hypothermia.   I started to get concerned about getting low on gas and sure enough I ran out halfway across the upper deck of the Bay Bridge. There was a call box and a guy answered and said stay put and be careful while he sent somebody; as there was no breakdown lane on the bridge.  I practically hung my left handlebar on the guardrail and stayed tight to it. Within 5 minutes an emergency truck showed up and the driver got out and handed me a gallon can of gas.  He kept watching oncoming traffic.  After I dumped the can I said "What do I owe you?", he said "Just get the F out of here!"  While I was waiting I managed to take a few B&W snapshots of the Bay with my 54 Leica IIIF.

Beautiful and exhilarating all at the same time!

But it sure warmed me up quick!

• Thumbsup 5

It was a beautiful day here in East Tennessee.  79 degrees and partly sunny.  Got my new to me 2020 GT out and headed for the mountains.  I got about four hours of riding in.   Can't wait till spring and really put some miles on this bike.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Well, our New Years Day present from Mother Nature was only about 2/3s what was forecast; a miserly 5 inches of heavy, wet snow and gloomy gray sky's this morning.  Now we're going into the deep freeze, maybe 5 tonight and getting up to 26 by midweek.

Oh well, It's winter and it could be much worse.

It's just my shoulder is killing me and I have to hope I can get it fixed by February if all the A-Holes who won't get faxed and boosted either die off or finally realize masks and isolation does work, and stop maxing out the hospitals resources.  My oldest is a ER doc who has been fighting to stay alive since the pandemic began, and can't take it much longer.  People are so selfish and have no consideration for the well being of others, and use resources that people who have done what they could to not be infected but are sick need but can't get.  The stories I've heard.  Now the antivaxers are getting fake vax cards so they can go out and party!!!

Sorry but I'm so fed up with the insanity of people convincing themselves based on what they see on the web and social media.

If I can't get my surgery by March, my recovery will extend into July...  I know my body, as I had my left shoulder fixed in 2010 when I was that much younger! And it's now acting up. As it is I'm putting off my cervical disc fusion until 23, which limits my sportbike saddle time. I have had the proverbial constant pain in the neck for a decade but my shoulder is now 5 times worse.

Chin up.  The sun will come out tomorrow...

Sorry again for the rant.

• Thumbsup 1