Failed Rivet on Master Link?

buffaloWarrior

Did I mess up the riveting on this new chain? I couldn't get the pins to push through the side plate so I thought maybe the rivet tip would help press the side plates together and push the pins out before flaring but it doesn't seemed to have worked out that way. Do I need to reorder the master link? Whats a good way to remove the master link? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/IzhRE6k

Edited by buffaloWarrior
words

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, buffaloWarrior said:

Did I mess up the riveting on this new chain?

IMHO - Sadly the short answer appears to be yes.

Your master plate needed to be pressed to match (in total width) the neighbouring fixed plates before you flared.

Your chain breaking/flaring tool should have facilitated that for you using the correct combo of parts from the kit.

To remove this link and start again you'd normally grind off the flared pins and push through with the chain breaking tool but as they appear to be almost flush you could probably just use the breaker to push each pin back out.  Just make sure your pressing pin is lined up precisely and not on the edge of the plate where the link pin comes through.

There are a few good You Tube videos on the entire process out there if you go hunting.

Here's a couple of examples -

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed on all points -- order up a new master link and start over!

It's a very good thing that you asked. You've learned something important, and I bet others will as well.

Edited by bwringer

1 hour ago, bwringer said:

You've learned something important, and I bet others will as well.

I've learned that I'm happy to keep the local wrench employed. LOL

• Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current