Faulty Tracer 9 GT

Hi all, this is my 1st post so I hope its in the right place. Anyway, I bought my new 2021 tracer 9 gt last October, its been faultless until today when I went to start it and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Every warning light is on inc the suppension warning. Turned it off, disconnected the battery for a bit now the ecu light is on, I can't select the different rider modes and i can't access the system settings, the icon just flashes red when i press it. Heated grips work fine. It starts and runs fine. I can access the trip counters etc.. 

My dealer isn't open til Tuesday 4th but I'm hoping it's nowt major. It lives in a garage and when it's washed it is dried straight away, someone has said to me water ingress cud be the issue.  But I'm not overly impressed with it going wrong with only 1300 miles on it. 

Edited by Dave1981
Spelling mistake.

After doing some research it could be that the bike was on the centrestand and in gear which has caused the ecu to throw a wobbly.. a short ride should cause it to reset according to someone who has the same bike and has had the same problem..

• Thumbsup 1

Check for wiring damage from rodents if a short ride doesn’t re-set the electronics.  I just talked to a friend with a new Honda Ridgeline that had major wire damage from squirrels getting into the engine compartment while his vehicle was parked in the driveway.

No rodents round here but I'll check. Taking it for a spin in a bit so will update as to the outcome. Guy I know on Instagram had thebsame bike and same issue in Switzerland. He spoke with yamaha who said they are aware of it and their solution was a short ride to make the ecu reset.. one problem with new models, problems only come out when ppl but them ans run them in the real world.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Once the codes are cleared, you will be able to access everything again. You can clear codes yourself with an OBII reader and the appropriate adapter cable. 

HTH,

Skip

That's what I've read and I bought one for my 15 and it doesn't work but oh well it works on all the cages.  Go for a reader, it's slick as hell!

And you can ride real time with it on your cell SL very interesting!

That is really frustrating. My Mercedes Vito is doing the same thing , throwing the engine management light and it does rock your confidence so I hope the dealer can offer you a diagnostic tomorrow when they re-open. At least that's one thing about this generation of bikes, they do have OBD so at least the error code can be reset and hopefully restore all functionality on the dash. 

May be worth investing in a basic OBD reader so you can read and reset codes at those times when the dealer is unavailable. I am going to get this one as based on my experience with my Vito I am starting to think of an OBD reader as an essential basic tool.

Yamaha FI, OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool MT10 MT09 XSR900 R1 R6 MT07 | eBay

I look forward to hearing back on the fix for this if you don't mind sharing

So, if you run the newer Tracers in gear on the center stand, particularly above idle, it'll throw a code and will not clear that until it's cleared with an ODB2 reader.

You *REALLY* should just get your own; they're very inexpensive, and a huge aid in troubleshooting.  You can get a basic handheld tool like linked above, or just get the ODB2 adapter (yamaha 4 pin to full odb2) then use a wireless adapter like the ODBLink LX.  This can be used with any (ODB2 compliant, so any newer) bike or car, and will sync either to their own software on your phone or tablet or any other bluetooth ODB2 software.  I personally prefer TorqueODB.

These will not only read and clear codes, but they can also do live monitoring and charting of engine data through those apps while you ride.  When it reads codes, you can follow links to more information about the specific code as well, rather than just getting some useless number.  REALLY aids troubleshooting.  

And it costs less than having dealers do the ODB2 troubleshooting dance. 

As others have said, once you clear the codes you'll regain full functionality of the dash.

• Thumbsup 1