argh, you all with your new Tracer 9s are killing me

Larz

But i'm not doing it, man. Too many years/miles of life left on the 900 as well as too much $$ into aftermarket goodies. However, I could sink another 3K or so into the bike- Carbon Fiber wheels,hmmm: put a set on my Harley, fairly transformative, wonder what they would do for the 900.....

I went through something similar with a car years ago. I upgraded the suspension and bought some other goodies and ended up trading it in anyway for what I wanted. 

• Thumbsup 1

I also have thought about the Tracer 9.  But I spent too much money on an Akropovic exhaust, ECU flash and new suspension, so I will be keeping this one a while longer.

The new 9 makes me wish I had not spent so much for the upgrades.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Honestly what's the big draw? Up and Down quick shift, 6 axis stability and the front suspension.  The rest is really lip gloss in my mind.  That's a hard pill to swallow for what I can only assume will be 4-5k on top of a trade in.

• Thumbsup 3

I've upgraded the 900 to the point were it's about down to new wheels now; although the Andreani carts leave a little to be desired on the freeway.  Well, the new frame, swingarm and lighter wheels on the 9 attract me more than the ecu or the quickshifter. I'm safe= cash and carry only now days for me and 16k to much to come up with 🤑

When they fix the dash and the seat I might be interested in a switch, but until then I would get a whole different bike before I switch away from my modified 900 GT to a 9 GT (as much as I like the six axis IMU and the up/down QS). 

The second hand market loves those of us who mod the heck out of the bike and then upgrade to something else. :D

• Thumbsup 4

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

Well, the new frame, swingarm and lighter wheels on the 9 attract me more than the ecu or the quickshifter.

Since Yamaha likes to use certain identical parts between many different models, I wonder if the new wheels would fit on the previous models as well. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

27 minutes ago, betoney said:

Since Yamaha likes to use certain identical parts between many different models, I wonder if the new wheels would fit on the previous models as well. 🤷‍♀️

Actually the very first thing I thought when the new design came out - wonder if those new spin forged wheels would fit older bikes? The 2nd thing was if they would how much&how procurable? I bet skipperT could answer the first question,eh. As to the 2nd, if they are  north of 1k per wheel I'd just go to BST Carbon Fiber wheels- availible for FZ&MT-09s, should fit FJ or Tracers me thinks, bit under 3k 🤑 for a set. I'm sure they are much lighter than the new Yama wheels.... on my Dyna they shaved off more than 10&20 lbs front & rear respectively compared to OEM. Makes for a very lively handling bike!

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The wheels will not fit, they changed the front axle diameter and swing arm width.

I think the goggle dash is bonkers, and the mode wheel a Rubic's Cube.

Mostly I think they neutered the character out with the heavier flywheel and geometry.

Both Rider & Roadrunner's (to name 2) liked the T9 a lot but felt it lost the brazen toughness down low; i.e., the ripper aggressiveness I really like that reminds of my RD400, and my "yute" every time I get frisky on it.

For now, as I've said before, I've just got way too much invested in my Fastest, nicest Red 15, and don't have enough time to ride it as it is.

Some day I'll either get the KTM SD GT, or droolingly, the yet to be released 2022 Moto Guzzi V1000 Mandello!!!

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2022/2022-motoguzzi-v100-mandello

https://bikereview.com.au/new-model-2022-moto-guzzi-v100/

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Mostly I think they neutered the character out with the heavier flywheel and geometry.

They introduced the heavier crankshaft on the Niken and it is immediately noticeable when riding but not noticeable in a negative way, the throttle response still delivers a very spunky and frisky experience its just noticeably smoother, like riding a bike with no drive line lash or throttle cut.  Slightly less frantic and slightly more refined feeling.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I think the goggle dash is bonkers, and the mode wheel a Rubic's Cube.

Both Rider & Roadrunner's (to name 2) liked the T9 a lot but felt it lost the brazen toughness down low; i.e., the ripper aggressiveness I really like that reminds of my RD400, and my "yute" every time I get frisky on it.

Strong words, my friend. I like it! Hmmm, the 9 sounds too "grown- up and refined " for this immature 63 year-old 🤣🙃😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Larz said:

Strong words, my friend. I like it! Hmmm, the 9 sounds too "grown- up and refined " for this immature 63 year-old 🤣🙃😁

I'm 4 classes older and even more immature.  No patience or short term memory and limited self control.  I try to lean toward my Vulcan side but too many concussions = CTE = short fuse.  Though SWMBO says I was born a crotchety old man.

4 hours ago, betoney said:

They introduced the heavier crankshaft on the Niken and it is immediately noticeable when riding but not noticeable in a negative way, the throttle response still delivers a very spunky and frisky experience its just noticeably smoother, like riding a bike with no drive line lash or throttle cut.  Slightly less frantic and slightly more refined feeling.

IMO the 21 is not raucous enough down low... I like the sound of ripping velvet and a bit of vibe, it let's me know it's ready for more.

I often realize I'm still in 4th gear on the slab doing 75+ mph only because I wondered why the current gas mileage was so low.

So either I have an exceptionally smooth sample, and/or I guess I keep the TB synced well enough and they stay that way, I've  got the TPS is calibrated down far enough, the KTM hand guard bar clamps must dampen things a bit, the Stomp Grips could be providing some isolation along with the Sargent saddle, and/or the BBs packed solid in the bars are doing a decent job quelling buzz...

Heck, this is my first bike with FI, TC and USD forks, which to me is super sophisticated and refined.

When I started riding, I had to tickle the carb, retard the ignition, prod the one lung over to just before TDC, than do a jig on the kick start lever and hope it didn't come back and whack my shin!  My singles were smoother than my 180 degree twins, just not as fast.

My first bike with a choke and battery-coil ignition though still 6-volt, seemed space age.  Lucas, Prince of Darkness, KMA.

Then my 72 H2 Mach IV had CDI and a hydraulic front disc brake, amazing!  Though it thoroughly mixed a gallon of paint bungeed to the pillion in 5 minutes despite my best attempts to tune and balance the carbs.  And they didn't call it the Widow Maker for nothin...

I'd of course ridden a 69 sand cast CB750 and thought it was sneaky fast but couldn't buy one until my short-lived 80 DOHC metallic silver CB750F with a matching Vetter Quicksilver fairing, dual front discs, Comstar mag wheels, and black chrome 3-point mount case guards and luggage rack.  It was the ultimate in high-tech but still loved slipping sweetly into a false neutral at the absolutely most inopportune moments!  Just ask SWMBO...

So smooth and refined is very relative and subjective.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

Personally I don't really get how someone could trade in a Tracer (or any bike) for what is essentially almost the same bike.   ,I for one, would only go thru the hassle of a switch if I was moving over to something different enough to make it worthwhile.  In my case, the smallest change I'd make is to get an FJR.

• Thumbsup 1