No more production of Nikens?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Was looking up to see whether there was any news on 2022 Nikens when Google gave me one of the following research link results. 
https://www.batfa.com/new-motorcycle/yamaha/niken.htm

The site appears to be a Japan based motorcycle exporting company and displayed the following status for 2022 Yamaha Nikens out of the Japanese market. 

Now I know that there are 2022 Nikens being sold in Europe. What I don't know if these are leftover 2020-2021s being titled as 2022s or if they actually have VINs with a corresponding 2022 model year code. 

In the US there are only 2018-2019 Nikens (280 total in the entire US as confirmed with recall evidence), with any leftover stock being sold/titled as 2020/2021s.  

What I don't know is if Europe and Asia get a final "limited edition" 2022 production batch and then Yamaha  has effectively ceased all further production of Nikens after the 2022 model year with little fanfare.  

Thoughts?

C07ED74F-B613-409B-ADFC-F862B57E2BC7.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Corrected misspelling
  • Sad 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

Too bad...

While it has a lot less umph, I like the Piaggio MP3 500 HP Sport Advance better.  No need to put your foot down at stops, twist n go, reverse, onboard storage, long production run though quality can be spotty...

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that Yamaha pulled the plug on the Niken, I have never actually seen one on the road though only on dealers floors. The local Yamaha dealership where I use to live had a demo and tried very hard to get people to test ride it, but I don't think they had much luck. I hope they just shut production for a year and stuff the new 9GT engine in it. 

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Sorry to hear that Yamaha pulled the plug on the Niken, I have never actually seen one on the road though only on dealers floors. The local Yamaha dealership where I use to live had a demo and tried very hard to get people to test ride it, but I don't think they had much luck. I hope they just shut production for a year and stuff the new 9GT engine in it. 

I rode one at Yamaha's demo days a few years ago, I liked it, good handling for its size and decent power for its size but wish it was 1,000cc to make up for the weight as its a full 100 lbs heavier than the Tracer.

When I talked to one of the guys running the demo event, he said they weren't going to have them sitting on the floor taking up the dealers showroom space, if a customer wanted one they could have the dealer order one direct.

Other than the demo event, I have never seen one on the street, with low sales numbers they didn't appear to be a popular vehicle, who knows if they will continue production again in the future with a redesign or update?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

In some ways this make sense - the equally quirky GTS1000 only ran for production of 2 years - althought they sold for a bit longer.

The mind boggles that Yam makes these products with short lifespans - the industry seemed to have moved away from that model a decade ago with lifespans of products much longer.

I wonder if they will bring out a new version [goodness what the R&D costs of the front end were, +large number of niken specific steering and suspension components]. Here in the UK, there are a glut of new and used models, which isnt a good thing. I'd love another, were i not so short.

Edited by pilninggas

8 hours ago, pilninggas said:

The mind boggles that Yam makes these products with short lifespans

Its more likely that the customer decides on the lifespan of niche products. No point in Yamaha making them if they are not being snapped up from the showroom floor. No profit in that. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, pilninggas said:

Here in the UK, there are a glut of new and used models, which isnt a good thing.

That's interesting, here at least from what I've glomed from the showrooms that are picked clean and used bike prices, it's been a seller's market.

Do my Yank compatriots imostly agree?

• Supporting Member

Yamaha took a pretty big risk on the Niken, which I appreciate.  Why stay in the 'safe zone' all the time?  I see it as sort of like the Prowler - it may not be for everyone, but absolutely has its merits. 

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I picked up a Niken at the right price in December.  I have a Tracer 900GT for about 2 years, which I will move on now.  Really like the Niken, nicer to ride than the GT imo, and pleased to get something so unique.

Edited by NikenLee
spelling
  • Thumbsup 3

16 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Its more likely that the customer decides on the lifespan of niche products. No point in Yamaha making them if they are not being snapped up from the showroom floor. No profit in that. 

Yamaha's market research should be able to map a realistic product lifespan cycle. They should be able to accurately predict the customer's demand for the model over the standard implement-adoption-decline curve. Presumably they did that early on in the development of the model. The mind still boggles that less than 4 years after first announcing it that the market for new purchases might have already dried up.

I can only assume that Yam expect the technology [the front end] to survive either into a mark 2 or into something else.

4 hours ago, NikenLee said:

I picked up a Niken at the right price in December.  I have a Tracer 900GT for about 2 years, which I will move on now.  Really like the Niken, nicer to ride than the GT imo, and pleased to get something so unique.

Curious what you see as the difference.  I have looked at then more than once but the extra weight made me pause.  Really like th two front wheels.  I do a lot of long trips in all kinds of weather and road conditions and two front wheels give more confidence in sketchy road conditions.  If one looses traction the other is there.   

Sad to see the production cease, certainly a rare motorcycle and don't recall seeing one on the street.   

• Supporting Member

It should be noted that NO formal announcement that the Niken has ceased production has been published by Yamaha. 

Edited by maximNikenGT
  • Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Yamaha claim the front end end has 80% more grip than a single wheel (80% not 100% because the two fronts are only 15inch rather than 17 or 19).  Apart from the extra grip, the ride quality is much smoother than any other bike I have had including a number of FJRs, Super Teneres and even a Goldwing. It feels very stable and reassuring in difficult, cold, wet and slippery conditions.

The 900GT, directs every bump and vibration straight onto your wrists.  The steering head on the NIken is offset and not connected directly to the forks, so broken surfaces, drains and manholes are felt as just bumps at the handlebars, rather like you get on a steering wheel of a car.

The crankshaft and flywheel are heavier than the GT and along with different fuel mapping, the engine feels smoother, less vibey and more torquey.  It is not as quick as the GT, and definitely uses more fuel than the GT, but is still plenty lively enough for fast cruising, overtaking etc.

I prefer the Niken dashboard, it is simpler but better still, has larger numbers that can be easily read.  The tft on the GT is very small and as for the wheel thing !!

The finish is very good with lots of chrome bolts and fasteners, just make sure to rinse the road salt off.

• Thumbsup 3

There will be another niken .It will either be just a euro 5 motor transplant from the new mt/tracer models or it will have ,tft,better screen ,spun wheels for less weight ( taken from mt09 ),mt09 exhaust,other weight saving measures,new colours .There will only be a gt model .Tracer gt luggage set up .

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

There will be another niken .It will either be just a euro 5 motor transplant from the new mt/tracer models or it will have ,tft,better screen ,spun wheels for less weight ( taken from mt09 ),mt09 exhaust,other weight saving measures,new colours .There will only be a gt model .Tracer gt luggage set up .

I hope you are right, do you have a source for that or just saying? I think they would want to keep up support for the Tour De France with the Niken, good PR. Wish I could find a new one here in the US.