My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member

After doing a little bit of maintenance on my bike, I decided to take a quick ride to make sure everything was good to go.  I made it back to within 600' from my house when a car pulled out from a side street and hit me.

I was fortunate that he just missed hitting my foot and leg, his bumper hit in the rear passenger peg, rear axle area on the left side, knocking me over onto the right side of the bike which took the majority of the damage.

I made it out with nothing broken, just a sore knee and back from being knocked to the ground, the bike has a fair bit of cosmetic damage, I'm just hoping that the sub frame and swingarm aren't bent.  I rode it the remaining 600' to my house and noticed that it didn't steer straight. ☹️

I left it at the local Yamaha shop for a thorough inspection and insurance claim, I'm hoping it isn't a write-off.

It's not the way I planned on spending my Saturday but in the end I walked away and a bike can be replaced.

image.thumb.png.ad826d4050d9ebcfcb9830b166a7355e.png

image.thumb.png.23a708e36f185d3fb4433551bfaaa7f0.png

• Sad 17

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, pilgo said:

Fingers crossed for the bike being repairable,  glad you could walk away from the crash 👍

Yep, any crash you can walk away from, consider yourself lucky.  Several years ago, I hit a deer and totaled my 2006 FZ1, I walked away with just a few scrapes and bruises.

• Thumbsup 4

First, I'm glad you are okay.  The sore back can be an issue in the long-term though.

If the bike didn't ride straight, you probably do have a bent frame.  At that point, I'd let them write it off and look for a "new" bike.  It's an opportunity to move to one of the newer models.

I hope you heal well and fast.

Chris

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I hope you get another “tracer”.  Hate to lose you from the forum!

I'm not sure what I would do without a CP3. 😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Hey Brian, glad you’re mostly ok… sucks about the bike.    Hopefully your recovery is quick & complete, and the bike situation is resolved satisfactorily.  

On the plus side, this is a great time  to be shopping for a sport tourer… so many interesting models currently available.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear betoney. Good thing it happened close to home and not further out where you may have been going faster. I was just reading your comment about considering a Hit Air Vest in another thread. Glad you are mostly OK.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Hey Brian, glad you’re mostly ok… sucks about the bike.    Hopefully your recovery is quick & complete, and the bike situation is resolved satisfactorily.  

On the plus side, this is a great time  to be shopping for a sport tourer… so many interesting models currently available.  

Thanks for the well wishes.  I hope it doesn't come to needing to get a replacement just yet. 

I was only out for a very short ride- we have a few days of decent weather and I was making sure it was ready to go for a longer ride on the upcoming holiday.  Just moments before getting back home I was thinking to myself how smoothly the bike was running and how well it had been set up, feeling absolutely perfect and then...  fate stepped in.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

This kind of thing is what we all dread as motorcycle riders and hope never happens but as you've just experienced, sometimes fate deals us the Joker when we least expect it.

The good news is that you escaped virtually unscathed which trumps any card you're dealt.

It's a real shame to see that well maintained, and customised to your liking, fast red banged up like that.  I feel your pain.

This might be a forced upgrade for you?  Good luck which ever way it goes. 👍

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1