My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member

F.F.S. !!  Your o.k.,that's the most important thing.👍

I know what it's like when some b*****d pulls out in front of you, AND hits you !! 😡😡

Edited by Kenny A.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Sorry about your accident.  I learned last fall that losing a bike is not a big deal.  Your health is what matters and I am glad that you came out of this mostly unscathed.  I hope you will not be too sore and it's just some bruises.  

Don't sweat the bike being a total loss.  On October 8th mine sustained just 3000 dollars of damage and I would have gladly had it totaled in exchange for not having this leg injury.  

Hope you heal and are 100% back to normal very soon.  Let us know what you decide to do about a replacement for your bike.

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Wow. Glad you're ok. Bikes can be replaced if it comes to that.....  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

Surprise, surprise, surprise! 

Of course I'm glad your apparently ok but monitor your condition because as you get older things take longer to rear their ugly head.

I'm sure you've gone over the incident, could it have been prevented on your part?  I figure the Cager was predominantly at fault but were you possibly a bit preoccupied thinking about how nice the FJ felt and complacent because you were in familiar territory and so close to home?  You know the old adage, a high % of "accidents" (IMO no such thing, only incidents) occur within 2 miles from home.

Live and learn, and maybe you can also help your brothers here by sharing this experience and associated apifineys. 

I  know after all the time and money you've expended on your Fastest Red, it's got to hurt the most realizing you may need to start all over again.

However, on the flip side, it can be exciting starting a new opportunity to challenge yourself to make an existing whatever even better (hopefully on someone else's dime).  It gets the gray matter churning and creative juices flowing, energizing the soul!

Could there be a T9 or NT1100 on your horizon?

You know you have all our support! 

B

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@betoney - How are you feeling today?   If your experiences are anything like mine, the 36 to 48 hour post-incident window is when you’ll feel it the most.    Really hoping to dodged the bullet on serious injuries.   

-Scott 

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm sure you've gone over the incident, could it have been prevented on your part?  I figure the Cager was predominantly at fault but were you possibly a bit preoccupied thinking about how nice the FJ felt and complacent because you were in familiar territory and so close to home? 

No, I wasn’t distracted at all.  He was stopped, pulling out onto the main road, I was approaching from his right, turning onto the street he was pulling out from. As I was turning onto the street, I was passing in front of his car and he pulled out of traffic directly into me. 

• Sad 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sorry to hear the news, Betoney. Hope you are feeling ok today and not overly sore. 

based on those 2 pics it’s hard to say, but it looks like the frame slider on the RH side, crash bar, and RH handlebar took most of the impact. The hit on the bars has probably knocked your steering out of alignment and bent the bars. The main frame can take it, so don’t worry about that. However footrest brackets can hit swingarms when damaged and if your passenger footrest/luggage rack area was hit on the LH side by his bumper there might be a chance that the tabs on the subframe got bent depending on the collision points.

it doesn’t look good for the bike unfortunately. If not fixed, I’d definitely buy it back for parts however. You’ve got lots invested. 

good luck. Hope the process is smooth for you. Glad you’re ok  

-Skip

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, betoney said:

No, I wasn’t distracted at all.  He was stopped, pulling out onto the main road, I was approaching from his right, turning onto the street he was pulling out from. As I was turning onto the street, I was passing in front of his car and he pulled out of traffic directly into me. 

I run a headlight modulator (HLM) and auxiliary LED front, side and rear lighting.

I find the HLM is VERY effective getting half brain dead mouth breathing Cagers to not unknowingly attempt to kill me.

Something to consider.

Also, in situations like you had, I'm very fast on the trigger to preemptively blast my dual horns.  I don't care one iota if doing so often and repeatedly is annoying to others!

I was a mc courier in San Francisco in my "yute", and commuted to the Chicago Loop AND rode all over the very densely urban traffic clogged city for decades flittering from job site to job site. It made me a very safe and very, very defensive rider but makes it difficult to relax, as I'm constantly going through worst case "what if" scenarios.

To stay alive, I still split lanes here as well as  perform other practices and maneuvers even though they are illegal.  My mottos are "If you aren't there they can't kill you!", "If a shark can't keep moving forward constantly they drown." and "You can't hit what you can't see."; i.e., avoid target fixation and look ahead where you need to go.

All things I'm sure you and others understand and hopefully strive to do each time you buckle your chin strap.

Again, we all hope you continue to feel better physically and emotionally.

I intended no disrespect whatsoever by offering the foregoing, as I consider you a bedrock member of this brotherhood.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm glad you were able to walk away. Hopefully there won't be any lingering issues. 

A neighbor in my cul de sac almost did the same thing a few weeks back. I wasn't in front of her so I was able to turn into the cul de sac on the wrong side of the road. She did brake eventually when she saw me.  I cringe when I come upon cars at intersections like that. 

Get well and get back on a bike!!

Dan

• Thanks 1