My tracer in Photos

• Premium Member
you should have 3 keys and each has a security transponder within - 2 black for everyday use and a special red one. The red one is used as a master and is needed if you lose a black one or need an ECU replacement. Not sure of the procedure but unless you have the red one, a dealer will not be able to programme the ECU to accept an additional black one, or make a new ECU work with existing keys. Check your document pack as it may be in there.
My black keys do not look like there is any kind of transponder in them.  They certainly aren't as bulky as the keys in the photograph.  I'm guessing that the Euro-spec bikes have anti theft that the US spec bikes do not. 

Yes, that seems to be the case. I have a pdf of the N American handbook and my paper copy of the UK one. Section 3 of the manual begins with a description of the immobilizer [sic, they use the US spelling!) system. 
The system is pretty universal in cars, bikes & trucks and has been part of the reason why vehicle theft has reduced greatly in the UK
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived