Front wheel Measurements between a Motor Bikes and Trikes

MikeK

Hi All,

I just come across this article from a UK site stating )Is the Yamaha Niken a trike? No, it’s a motorcycle. The DVLA classes it as such, and it rides just like any other motorcycle. It is NOT a trike. The wheels are too close together to be classed as a trike for a start.( Does anyone know the inside and outside measurements from front wheel to the other front wheel of the Niken and does anyone know what are the measurement rules between a motor bike and a trike across the front wheels. Please state your country of origin, as it may differ between countries.

Kind Regards

Mike

Hi HGP61, yep understand what you mean by the centre to centre measurements, measuring the width of the tyres is not a very accurate way to go about it.

I added that last image of a Kawasaki Patent that I found in an article by Bennetts back in January 2021. I thought you might find it interesting considering the tilting mechanism has been moved from the top of the bike to in between the wheels, in this design they use existing suspension of a bike, although the forks appear a lot closer together.