Fixing clutch rattle and vibration

happyrider

Hi,

I own one of the first Tracer 900gt’s to come into the U.K. and have done 24k miles. At 15k I started to get the dreaded clutch rattling noise which got worse until recently it is causing vibrations through the pegs and handle bars. So last month I decided to do something about it and Mel at Mels Motors in Bracknell, Berkshire, U.K. agreed to have a look. His fix has been 100% successful and clutch is as quiet as when new.

You can view Mels procedure at:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUQtvwQUYI&t=3s

Two main points is; one he never had to remove any metal by boring rivet holes larger. Secondly it will in future be easy and cheap to replace rubber bushes if need be. Probably a diy job at home.

The cost was less than half if I had a new basket fitted.

Happy rider (in many ways)

Edited by happyrider
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, happyrider said:

You can view Mels procedure at:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUQtvwQUYI&t=3s

Thanks for sharing this video ... I left him the following comment:

Love it ... great solution and great video. I like when parts that can be repaired are repaired instead of simply being replaced, and as you said, saves something else going into the landfill. 👍

Best part is that it is an improvement on the design in that future replacement will be dead easy. Only concern for me is the screws loosening over time due to heat cycling. That would / could not happen with rivets.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I agree with Buggy Nate ref angle of the drill bit but I’m guessing that Mel being an engineer and having lots of tools he would have grind the angle onto the bit before use. Plus it’s not necessary to countersink it in totally as the rivet head was raised.

• Premium Member

On my fastest red 15 I early on installed the 16 XSR900 slip/assist clutch and at 56,000 miles, knock on plastic, have not noticed any unusual clutch noise or undue vibration.  I have not compared part numbers, so does anyone know why the rubber damper bits go south on some and no others?  What years seem prone to this issue because I recall an earlier near identical thread and fix?

15 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Where do the replacement rubbers get sourced from? The only bug bear I have with it is a 13mm drill bit is not the same angle as a proper counter sink.

I would like to know this as well. I can look up a part number for a 450, but obviously don’t know if it’ll work until I rip it apart.

does your Receipt show any part numbers?

-Skip

Nice video. 2 criticisms for anyone assuming that’s the “bible” for a clutch basket R&R:

-he uses an impact regularly, but really it shouldn’t be used to loosen or tighten the clutch nut. Damage to the shaft can occur, as discussed here before. 

-He installed the last clutch plate incorrectly. As he put the pressure plate back on, that one friction plate is supposed to be located in the “slot” BESIDE all of the other clutch/friction plates. Another words, the tab of the plate should be installed in its own “slot” and not on top of the other stack of installed tabs. 

Yamaha makes a point about it in the service manual. It may just allow the clutch plates to separate more easily during “slipper (clutch)”operation. 

-Skip

• Like 1

Following Skip’s helpful post that we had the last clutch plate in the wrong slot, we have removed cover and shifted it on one slot this morning. Must say that I can’t feel any difference whichever slot it was in but it’s good to have it the way the manufacture recommends.
Thanks for info Skip.

Keith

6E0D0146-9FF5-4156-A4C6-A9B6B32D991D.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

In answer to a number of posts as to where my mechanic got the replacement rubber from, sorry but I don’t know. He ordered them through a suppler and I believe they came from Germany, we are in U.K. Cost approx £48 (65$) the set. 
If you need more info you can Google my mechanic at Mels Motors Bracknell.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Keith

Maybe that last plate is put in that tapered slot so that the movement is limited????

Dunno, maybe someone that knows can answer this mystery!

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE