Fixing clutch rattle and vibration

happyrider

Hi Keith, my bike (same as you early 2018 GT) is about to have its 24,000 service and I’d be interested in your experience of what needed doing (e.g. valves). I’m also nervous that my clutch could be on the way out as my mileage is the same as yours but there are no unusual rattles currently. BTW I’m not a million miles from you in Woking, Surrey if you fancy meeting up for a chin wag. 

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, I know 'I'm a little late to the party. Going to do the clutch mod over the next few weeks and just wondering if you guys replaced the clutch friction plates and if you did any suggestions on a brand that works well or just OEM parts.

Thanks

At nearly 15k miles, I've noticed some grinding vibration at low speeds with engine cold.  Once it warms up I don't notice it anymore.  21 T9GT.  I've thought it could also be my chain, which is original and possibly getting a little weedy.  At idle, though, I clearly hear a basket of washers kind of rattle with the clutch relaxed and in neutral.  Pull the clutch, and 80% of the noise disappears.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, KrustyKush said:

At nearly 15k miles, I've noticed some grinding vibration at low speeds with engine cold.  Once it warms up I don't notice it anymore.  21 T9GT.  I've thought it could also be my chain, which is original and possibly getting a little weedy.  At idle, though, I clearly hear a basket of washers kind of rattle with the clutch relaxed and in neutral.  Pull the clutch, and 80% of the noise disappears.

I think that this is what they are talking about. I also experience this with my 2019 T900GT and 12k miles. Just the slightest pull on the clutch lever attenuates the rattle.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 5:07 PM, liverpool1 said:

Hi guys, I know 'I'm a little late to the party. Going to do the clutch mod over the next few weeks and just wondering if you guys replaced the clutch friction plates and if you did any suggestions on a brand that works well or just OEM parts.

Thanks

I didn’t do the mod as described by the OP, but I did replace my clutch basket with a new, updated one. I did not replace the plates or any other parts except for the nut that holds the clutch basket in place. Completely solved the ‘vibration’ issue. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 5:44 AM, happyrider said:

Hi,

I own one of the first Tracer 900gt’s to come into the U.K. and have done 24k miles. At 15k I started to get the dreaded clutch rattling noise which got worse until recently it is causing vibrations through the pegs and handle bars. So last month I decided to do something about it and Mel at Mels Motors in Bracknell, Berkshire, U.K. agreed to have a look. His fix has been 100% successful and clutch is as quiet as when new.

You can view Mels procedure at:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUQtvwQUYI&t=3s

Two main points is; one he never had to remove any metal by boring rivet holes larger. Secondly it will in future be easy and cheap to replace rubber bushes if need be. Probably a diy job at home.

The cost was less than half if I had a new basket fitted.

Happy rider (in many ways)

Thank you for the information and hava a great day! 

On 1/19/2023 at 8:30 AM, Northern900 said:

I didn’t do the mod as described by the OP, but I did replace my clutch basket with a new, updated one. I did not replace the plates or any other parts except for the nut that holds the clutch basket in place. Completely solved the ‘vibration’ issue. 

Hey Northern.. I have a '19 GT... could you share the part number of the updated part you got? Is it the one for the '21 and up models that 2and3 posted?

Thanks!

Edited by denveryzf

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI guys; my 2018 900 GT has hit 31,000 miles with no discernible issues with the clutch. I think it’s just down to luck with these bikes. Touch wood, mine is still going strong and I intend to tour France in September covering approximately 2,000 miles. The engine is still fantastic and after the usual mods I’m a very happy bunny. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Paddy01 said:

Just FYI guys; my 2018 900 GT has hit 31,000 miles with no discernible issues with the clutch. I think it’s just down to luck with these bikes. Touch wood, mine is still going strong and I intend to tour France in September covering approximately 2,000 miles. The engine is still fantastic and after the usual mods I’m a very happy bunny. 

I've only got 12k miles on my 20 and I don't ride it gently, so far no issues with the mentioned clutch noise......my chain still looks good as new too. :)