Tracer/FJ underseat tool kit contents.......

+1 on the tire plug kit. The "tool kits" bikes come with are just to say they have one. Make up your own. Sockets and wrenches 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19? and 27mm socket for the rear axle nut. A long nut for the front axle. I don't remember the size. You don't need an allen socket.  A set of allen wrenches. A six way screw driver. Multi tool. Zip ties, tape a razor blade, some safety wire and a collapsible funnel (try adding oil without one). There are extra spaces in the fuse blocks, so I filled them with extra fuses. I also added a short 10" piece of 1/2" electrical conduit this is a extension for my 3/8" ratchet handle. Put the two extension bars together slide them in the tube. Now it's long enough to remove the rear axle nut. I will add some pictures as soon. This is a good start. Anyone else has some other thoughts. 

Kurt

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish that manufacturers would include some way to plug and fill the tires. After all, if the tire goes down, you are pretty much stuck. 
In the UK, Yamaha gives you a card with 12 months RAC (like AAA) membership for that sort of thing, all included in the purchase price. 

No such luck here in Canada.    We are kind of left to our own devices!!!

A bit of a double edged selling point, we offer Free breakdown cover - oh the bike's that unreliable ? O_o 

It is nice to have as a safety net. I've had to call out the RAC for punctures in the past, decided after the first time to get my own kit, similar to what BMW include in their tool kit. Problem was a few years went by and I needed to use it and it didn't work.
My current solution is a Stop n Go with the mini compressor, fitted under the seat of my previous bike fine, but no where to put it on this one :-S

I find myself sometimes in places with no phone signal, so being able to do some basic repairs would be handy - not sure there is enough in the tool bag to do that though.

• Premium Member
I wish that manufacturers would include some way to plug and fill the tires. After all, if the tire goes down, you are pretty much stuck. 
In the UK, Yamaha gives you a card with 12 months RAC (like AAA) membership for that sort of thing, all included in the purchase price. 
My BMW had a Rema tyre plug kit but I never used it and the rubber bungs went hard. I prefer to use the RAC card or an aerosol such as Wynn's Tyrefix. If the can of gloop can't fix the hole I would rather change the tyre or get a proper repair using one of those mushroom patches. 
I wonder how good the European breakdown assistance is. Do you buy your own breakdown cover for France?

• Premium Member
My BMW had a Rema tyre plug kit but I never used it and the rubber bungs went hard. I prefer to use the RAC card or an aerosol such as Wynn's Tyrefix. If the can of gloop can't fix the hole I would rather change the tyre or get a proper repair using one of those mushroom patches. 
I wonder how good the European breakdown assistance is. Do you buy your own breakdown cover for France?
As steve says, you can extend the RAC cover for a fee, to cover Europe.

I'm currently insured via Carole Nash and the policy is bundled with annual European Breakdown cover. That policy expires 3 weeks before we depart for France so it will be interesting to see what price they quote for a renewal. A standalone policy without the breakdown bundle will cost me £100. As the bike has RAC cover for the UK it may be cheaper to go with the £100 policy and just get a short term policy to cover the French trip. Watch this space as there is bound to be a thread on the subject towards the end of May. Ideally CNash will quote near the £100 mark to make opening a spreadsheet redundant...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 6 months later...
I need t tighten my chain and din't have any thing to fit my rear axle nut. Dang!
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• Premium Member
I need t tighten my chain and din't have any thing to fit my rear axle nut. Dang!
You need a 27mm socket my friend.clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
You need a 27mm socket my friend.clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif
A 1 1/16" socket will work also if you don't have a 27mm.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
One of my other bikes is a Russian Ural (Gear-Up) the tool roll that came with it is massive. Plus it has a trunk in the sidecar in which I have,"The kitchen sink" of repair stuff. With the Ural it is needed as its maintenance intensive. Some items I have are," Reverse Voodoo" so I'll most likely never need it. Urals are a blast, but they're a wrenching kind of ride. Since I have panniers on my new FJ09 I'll be buying a tool kit and some goodies. I already bought a tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges. And yes, I do have AAA RV plus.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 3 months later...
Sorry to dig up the dead here........

Can someone please post up a pic of the c-spanner adjusting tool for the rear shock that some of you seem to get as standard in your tool kit.

Here in Oz we don't get that tool and I've tried a couple of different places and they don't know what I'm talking about.

A bike shop sold me a universal c-spanner saying "it'll be right love, they all fit, that's why they're universal"......well it doesn't damn well fit and I can't take it back cos the packaging is busted up.
As you know there isn't alot of room there, so the correct tool would be nice

So any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
k

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
My BMW r1100s had a very good tool kit in it's own tray fastened beneath the seat. It also came with a tire repair kit. Even then I added my own tools and supplies to my kit. Fast forward to 2014 or so and a buddy of mine bought a new R1200R. Tools? Practically zip! Think that is the norm these days. Cost l suppose. Got the FJ and quickly assembled my tool roll. I carry enough tools and such that I can do pretty much any roadside repair needed. I always carry my compressor and an assortment of plugs and worms. Important to learn tire repair as YOU WILL need to make a repair eventually. I/we often ride in BFE and all of this will keep you from having to call a hook to get home. Assuming you have cell service. Sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for help that could be hours away would suck! I know you grizzled vets already know all this but to the relative noob, be prepaired! You will be glad that you are. Oh,and carry it. Peace of mind is NICE. I've givin roadside assistance to a number of riders who weren't prepared. You KNOW they recieved a bit of a lecture! Ride safe folks!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

Archived