I bought an overgrown minibike...

Larz

Cuz I'm old🙃 Yep, a brand new TW 200 ( team blue,eh). Have a hangering to go exploring off road. Looked at a 22 year old Super Sherpa, good condition but $3500? Ya gotta be kidding me. Thought about holding out for a KLX 300- hmmm, saw hospital bills in my future- not much dirt experience and  that was decades ago- tend to go as fast as a bike will let me. Admit that the culture around the TW 200 ( we could say cult,eh) was a deciding factor- lots of good people, huge knowledge base, cool modds to do....

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

I was just talking about the TW with a good friend just a couple of days ago!   I foolishly sold mine about a decade ago, and have secretly wanted another one ever since.   

I taught my boys to ride on that TW, in the sand dunes at the beach.  Those balloon tires make it the perfect low-impact woods & dunes bike. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Larz said:

Admit that the culture around the TW 200 ( we could say cult,eh) was a deciding factor- lots of good people, huge knowledge base, cool modds to do....

Add to the fact that they are for the most part, indestructible.  Just add gas and occasionally do an oil change if you happen to remember... The bike should last until well after your riding days are done.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, betoney said:

Add to the fact that they are for the most part, indestructible.

100% this.    The youngest son nicknamed ours 'Christine' (after the movie car), since it just wouldn't die...   It was crashed (multiple times), submerged (once), and generally neglected, but never skipped a beat.   

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

100% this.    The youngest son nicknamed ours 'Christine' (after the movie car), since it just wouldn't die...   It was crashed (multiple times), submerged (once), and generally neglected, but never skipped a beat.   

True.  I grew up on air cooled Honda XR's and when my kids were young, the family had air cooled Yamaha TTR's, NEVER had a single mechanical issue on any of them, and they were severely abused, especially the XR's.  Plenty of bent handlebars, shift levers or broken fenders but they absolutely start up and run every single time.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

wow, i made a stupid joke on the TW 200 forum and got banned at under 10 posts- can you say "white Christian Nazis" ( and will that get me banned here? Bummer if so and I wish all of you the best in that case, keep the rubber side down folks. Man, I think it is really getting to a be bit Orwellian out here in cyber land....)

Edited by Larz

• Supporting Member

It's amazing how the TW200 holds its value. When looking online I chuckled at the following ad...

'This is a 1999 TW 200 Yamaha with street tires and over 12,000 miles. Old, decrepit, out dated, beaten, battered, bruised, cold natured, slow (max is about 60),old bikes slow to stop. I am the third owner. It's always been adult ridden and maintained. I would suggest that you buy a new TW 200. However, this has been the best motorcycle I have ever owned. It cranks right up. It goes and goes and goes. It's so comfortable, easy and fun. So much potential to modify. I have loved it'.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Well you can always lurk there.

Naw, fascism turns me off. No biggie, if I want talk or read TW200 I'll do it over on ADVrider- other inmates there have recently been banned from that same TW200 forum- one for having the temerity to disagree with Doctrine&Dogma regarding tire choices, even 

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member

After looking at a few TW200's I learned about the Suzuki Vavvan 200. Retro looking with lower comfy seat and fuel injected. Perfect beginner bike for my son and it will allow me to practice my maneuvers  without the fear of tipping the Niken. Most of the same features as the TW200, chunky tires etc. I was lucky to find an as new 2017 that was purchased by the seller to put behind his RV, but never did it. Unbelievable what some guy n gals put these bikes through off road. Mine will be mostly road with the odd gravel trail. 

Tongue n cheek....

00101_fEGC5i7oqfXz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.d4000f69f52d15b665c3b1272e7870d4.jpg00N0N_cdDlEQY9a5gz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.7cd8ebda93622afabfe51c1cba651058.jpg00000_lDHsA7Yh8Ztz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.6bf07a13cba006ebefcddb4cd83fbe37.jpg

00z0z_kcfzjEheTnOz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg.6b2cecb70bde4023d7cbab106c9f7fb7.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Took the VanVan out for a ride today and all I can say is what a hoot. This has to be the easiest bike in the world to ride. I don't remember my GZ250 been so much fun. Highly recommend one if you have a newbie coming up. 

Best part of all is that I got a biker wave from a HD guy, something that rarely happens on the Niken 😁

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Took the VanVan out for a ride today and all I can say is what a hoot. This has to be the easiest bike in the world to ride. I don't remember my GZ250 been so much fun. Highly recommend one if you have a newbie coming up. 

Best part of all is that I got a biker wave from a HD guy, something that rarely happens on the Niken 😁

yeah, that's how the TW 200 is, perfect beginer bike; albeit, the Van Van has a better seat by far. Pretty much everybody on a bike waves at the TW, I think it is the fat tires. Best part of riding the TW for me: makes my Tracer feel like a frickin starship. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Larz said:

..... Best part of riding the TW for me: makes my Tracer feel like a frickin starship. 

I hear ya commander, 😏

• Haha 1