My FJ09 now has a big brother...

betoney

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How did you think to try fitting them?

And they are secure and lock?

I was faced with either buying Givi cases or buying a new Shad 3P mount system, so I just had a "I wonder if..." moment.

The Givi rack had a removable rectangular block covering the top rail, when its removed the top rail is just tubular steel like the Shad rack.  They fit right on with no issues and the locking mechanism closes fully.

image.thumb.png.90958ac1a474a9e715f469ee1504bdb5.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Man... indeed a very lucky break with the Shad cases fitting on there. I am guessing you would just have to rig up a stopper at the trailing end of the top bars?

I wiggled and shook them around on the mount and they seem just as secure as on the normal Shad rack.  I will consider some form of stopper though, thanks for pointing that out. 👍

Unfortunately a week-long storm system just moved in so its really cold, wet and miserable outside, when it clears up I will mount everything up and take it for a ride to verify the integrity.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Not only don't you have to buy cases, the Givi's look great on the bike. But to me one of the best part is not having to store another set of cases in the garage.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I have a VFR 1200X DCT also.  They're incredibly fun.

The bike likes to be ridden in the higher rpm ranges.  The engine sings and the big beast comes alive.  

Consider buying an Akrapovic exhaust for it - not the one you can get in the US with two outlets, but the Euro only version you can still find (new) in lots of listings on eBay.  It sounds great, looks great and transforms the bike.

Also flush the brake fluid immediately and often.  These bikes develop very strange brake problems with mildly old fluid.

Have fun figuring out how you like to use the DCT modes.  Some users swear the computer learns your style and adjust accordingly.  

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, oregonian said:

I have a VFR 1200X DCT also.  They're incredibly fun.

Also flush the brake fluid immediately and often.  These bikes develop very strange brake problems with mildly old fluid.

Have fun figuring out how you like to use the DCT modes.  Some users swear the computer learns your style and adjust accordingly.  

Thanks for the tip on the brake fluid, I’ll flush it this weekend to make sure. 

I have heard the same thing regarding a “learning mode” that adapts to your riding style and alters the shift points. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unfortunately right after buying it, a storm system moved in so we have heavy rains and high winds so it might be a few days before I can get it out for a proper ride. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

Really nice bike! Should make for some very comfortable long distance rides.... and no chain to worry about👍

I am so excited to take it on a road trip, if all goes as planned, my first big outing this year is a trip to California in May.

• Thumbsup 1

41 minutes ago, betoney said:

I am so excited to take it on a road trip, if all goes as planned, my first big outing this year is a trip to California in May.

Sounds awesome. This is the year to get out there and do it for sure. So that's an X... the CrossTourer, then? With the 19" wheel up front... totally cool. Should do pretty good on the gravel/hard pack,eh; don't think I'd be brave enough to take it anywhere rougher but I'm the sure bike and you could do it if you wanted.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sounds awesome. This is the year to get out there and do it for sure. So that's an X... the CrossTourer, then? With the 19" wheel up front... totally cool. Should do pretty good on the gravel/hard pack,eh; don't think I'd be brave enough to take it anywhere rougher but I'm the sure bike and you could do it if you wanted.

Yes, it is the 1200X or Crosstourer.  There shouldn't be any issues riding on gravel roads, it has a skid plate and the 19" front wheel, and if I can do it on my FJ then it should be a breeze on this thing.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, dazzler24 said:

Well done.  Looking forward to your impressions.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, maximo said:

Looking forward to your impressions!

Today we had a few hours of clear weather so I took it out for a brief ride.  I am very impressed with this bike, some pro's and con's.

Pro's

Suspension, brakes and handling:  This is a heavy bike, but in true Honda fashion, this bike hides its weight VERY well.  While moving, you would NEVER guess that it weighs as much as it does, SUPERB job by Honda.  Steering feels light and responsive and it soaks up bumps and cracks exceptionally well, I brought my straight slot screwdriver but never felt the need to make even a slight adjustment.  Brake feel is VERY strong, (linked brakes) and there was no excessive brake dive when practicing a panic stop and the return rebound damping felt spot on, it was plush but now wallowy and it was composed but not harsh at all.  It steered true through a corner and held a line with almost zero effort, the extra weight gives a very planted feel but the steering geometry keeps it from being a chore to ride.  EXCEPTIONAL ride quality and handling.

Engine and transmission:  Its a 1237cc V4 with 93lb/ft of torque, it pulls exceptionally well in any gear, the accompanying DCT is butter smooth and shifts lightning fast, which brings me to the only con.  -

Maybe its actually a neutral rating but since it affected me so often, I'll list it as a con (very minor con anyway)  The DCT likes to upshift very quickly to be in the highest gear possible for the situation and I will attribute part of this as me being used to a higher revving CP3, but I often felt the need to manually downshift a gear or 2 to keeps the revs higher.  Maybe thats not necessary on a larger motor and its perfectly normal to operate in the 2500-3000rpm range in 5th gear? it was afterall my first ride longer than the initial test at the dealer.  In any situation though, there is always the option to manually downshift with the thumb paddle, so maybe I'm just being critical?

Ergonomics and comfort: The rider triangle feels more spread out than the FJ09, room to move back and forth on the seat, the foot pegs are moved a bit forward for more knee comfort, standing on the pegs to stretch is easy and effortless and the mirrors are very clear and vibration free... and the self-cancelling turn signals work perfectly, every time.  The heated grips aren't as nice as Yamaha's, the high setting (5 of 5) is about equivalent to Yamaha's level 4 of 10 and you can't use a up/down toggle, you start at level 5 and have to toggle down one step at a time so if you are on level 4 and want to go up to level 5 you have to toggle down 3,2,1, off and then back to 5.  Quirky but at least they work.

Overall VERY pleased, we should have clear skies so I'm looking forward to a longer ride tomorrow to get better acquainted with the bike.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 1

@betoney I don’t recall if the older VFR DCT has multiple modes or not, but the rest of the line does now. Try S mode instead of D and it should hold a shift for a bit longer and higher into the R’s.

S mode (I think, on ‘wings anyway it is) may be adjustable as well with 3 different “lines” or whatever which will also effect the riding/shifting characteristics of the bike. 
such a  torque monster, that engine…

-Skip 

• Thanks 1

This is a great write up! Sounds like quite a different riding experience than your fj-09. The way you describe it, your new bike seems to be more along my line of preferences.  Hmm....

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, skipperT said:

@betoney I don’t recall if the older VFR DCT has multiple modes or not, but the rest of the line does now. Try S mode instead of D and it should hold a shift for a bit longer and higher into the R’s.

S mode (I think, on ‘wings anyway it is) may be adjustable as well with 3 different “lines” or whatever which will also effect the riding/shifting characteristics of the bike. 
such a  torque monster, that engine…

-Skip 

Thank you for the input.  I went out on another ride today and tried all 3 sport shift modes as well as manual mode with the paddle shifters.  S3 definitely holds each gear longer for sportier riding and if you ever get into a situation where you need a different gear instantaneously, just tap the corresponding paddle.  👍

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, maximo said:

This is a great write up! Sounds like quite a different riding experience than your fj-09. The way you describe it, your new bike seems to be more along my line of preferences.  Hmm....

There have been many times while on a road trip where I was thinking to myself, I wish I had a bike like the FJ but a little larger and planted, a little longer and stable, a little more comfortable, a little more civilized... kind of like an FJR.  This bike suits me ergonomically better than the FJR and what stands out to me everytime I ride it, above the V4 power and the ultra slick DCT transmission is the balance and handling.  I don't know how Honda does it but they took a bike that weighs very close to an FJR but feels much closer to the FJ, reasonably close anyway.  I am super impressed and surprisingly have zero need to mess with the suspension or steering geometry.

• Thumbsup 1