My FJ09 now has a big brother...

betoney

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, keithu said:

Cool ride! But a 1200cc V-4 in an adventure bike? That's just crazy. 😁

I agree. I have no plans to ride it off road other than the occasional gravel connecting road.  It actually is very well mannered if I did choose to go off road though, the power delivery is very smooth an controllable and the size and weight seem to disappear once she’s moving. 

• Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Sounds very similar to the Multistrada. Despite being heavier and more powerful I find it easier to ride at low speeds than the FJ-09 thanks to the balance and power delivery.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:18 AM, keithu said:

Cool ride! But a 1200cc V-4 in an adventure bike? That's just crazy. 😁

It really was a crazy idea and it didn't sell well in the US.  Honda Europe sold a ton of them.  Honda intended for it to be a replacement for the ST1300.  

I have both a VFR 1200X and VFR 1200F, both with DCT.  The F model is a ridiculous rocket ship - 0-60 is quoted some places as 2.6 seconds.  It gobbles up the miles, but the power is so addictive and tempting that it really doesn't make sense as a sports tourer.  The X has the same engine, but tuned for mid range and not nearly as much horsepower.  Both models are great fun to ride because of the engine and the typical Honda quality.

In the UK, Ariel (the company that makes the Atom car) took the engine and chassis and made both the Ace - a bobber version and a naked bike version.  They sell for roughly $50k and the backlog is years.  They use the engine from the VFR 1200F for both bikes, but I'm sure the bobber would be more suited to the VFR 1200X engine due to the relaxed nature of that powerplant.  

The X is great for blasting around, but so damn top heavy that it requires a bunch of extra thought (at least from me) at stops and low speed.  My only complaint with both bikes is they exhibit very odd and dangerous behavior with mildly old brake fluid.  I typically flush it annually on both bikes just to be safe.  

Edited by oregonian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get in on this till now betoney. It is sexy, and red too! And it being a Honda it should be buttery smooth. Waiting to read the reviews in the "Other" bikes category. Heck yeah man, SCORE!!!!  ;D

• Thanks 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
On 3/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, tktplz said:

Sorry I didn't get in on this till now betoney. It is sexy, and red too! And it being a Honda it should be buttery smooth. Waiting to read the reviews in the "Other" bikes category. Heck yeah man, SCORE!!!!  ;D

Here is a 'review' from page 3 of this thread. -

Today we had a few hours of clear weather so I took it out for a brief ride.  I am very impressed with this bike, some pro's and con's.

Pro's

Suspension, brakes and handling:  This is a heavy bike, but in true Honda fashion, this bike hides its weight VERY well.  While moving, you would NEVER guess that it weighs as much as it does, SUPERB job by Honda.  Steering feels light and responsive and it soaks up bumps and cracks exceptionally well, I brought my straight slot screwdriver but never felt the need to make even a slight adjustment.  Brake feel is VERY strong, (linked brakes) and there was no excessive brake dive when practicing a panic stop and the return rebound damping felt spot on, it was plush but now wallowy and it was composed but not harsh at all.  It steered true through a corner and held a line with almost zero effort, the extra weight gives a very planted feel but the steering geometry keeps it from being a chore to ride.  EXCEPTIONAL ride quality and handling.

Engine and transmission:  Its a 1237cc V4 with 93lb/ft of torque, it pulls exceptionally well in any gear, the accompanying DCT is butter smooth and shifts lightning fast, which brings me to the only con.  -

Maybe its actually a neutral rating but since it affected me so often, I'll list it as a con (very minor con anyway)  The DCT likes to upshift very quickly to be in the highest gear possible for the situation and I will attribute part of this as me being used to a higher revving CP3, but I often felt the need to manually downshift a gear or 2 to keeps the revs higher.  Maybe thats not necessary on a larger motor and its perfectly normal to operate in the 2500-3000rpm range in 5th gear? it was afterall my first ride longer than the initial test at the dealer.  In any situation though, there is always the option to manually downshift with the thumb paddle, so maybe I'm just being critical?

Ergonomics and comfort: The rider triangle feels more spread out than the FJ09, room to move back and forth on the seat, the foot pegs are moved a bit forward for more knee comfort, standing on the pegs to stretch is easy and effortless and the mirrors are very clear and vibration free... and the self-cancelling turn signals work perfectly, every time.  The heated grips aren't as nice as Yamaha's, the high setting (5 of 5) is about equivalent to Yamaha's level 4 of 10 and you can't use a up/down toggle, you start at level 5 and have to toggle down one step at a time so if you are on level 4 and want to go up to level 5 you have to toggle down 3,2,1, off and then back to 5.  Quirky but at least they work.

Overall VERY pleased, we should have clear skies so I'm looking forward to a longer ride tomorrow to get better acquainted with the bike.

**update**

Since I am getting it ready for summer road trips I have had it out several times in the past 10 days adjusting, tweaking and fiddling.  I have my GPS installed and compared it while riding the FJ and then VFR back to back, the FJ speedometer and tripmeter are off a bit from the readings of the GPS (the FJ reads 2-2.5 mph higher than the GPS) where the VFR is dead nuts accurate.  The FJ fuel average readout is about 7% optimistic (displaying 47mpg is actually about 44mpg) where the VFR is the opposite by a small margin, if the readout says 40mpg average, real world calculations put the fuel economy at 40.6-40.8mpg based on 3 tanks of fuel run to reserve. 

Every tank of fuel has consistently netted a true calculated average 40-41mpg with the display switching to 'distance to empty' countdown reading of 42-48 miles remaining at around 170-175 miles.  The fuel capacity is .8 gallon more but the fuel economy is less resulting in the same tank range for both bikes.

The last thing of note, magazine reviews report that the bike is deceptively fast and that it is easy to get in over your head without realizing it, very true.  Its so relaxed riding that I often find myself 20-30mph over what I thought I am traveling, it just doesn't feel that fast until I look at the speedo and realize that I'm going 80mph through these sweeping curves.  😎👍

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I was disappointed when they discontinued this model. Looks like there's a dealer in Oregon that has a few new ones or multiple ads for the same bike. Have to go back and look again. I think it was on Cycle Trader.

I was a Honda guy way back. Had a couple of 750SS. 

Something to be said about 600 lbs., but nimble. The other bike I had was 50 lbs. heavier than my FJ. Was more stable in windy conditions. We get our fair share of wind. Blows me all over the road on the FJ.

Keep the updates coming. 

52 minutes ago, betoney said:

**update**

Since I am getting it ready for summer road trips I have had it out several times in the past 10 days adjusting, tweaking and fiddling.  I have my GPS installed and compared it while riding the FJ and then VFR back to back, the FJ speedometer and tripmeter are off a bit from the readings of the GPS (the FJ reads 2-2.5 mph higher than the GPS) where the VFR is dead nuts accurate.  The FJ fuel average readout is about 7% optimistic (displaying 47mpg is actually about 44mpg) where the VFR is the opposite by a small margin, if the readout says 40mpg average, real world calculations put the fuel economy at 40.6-40.8mpg based on 3 tanks of fuel run to reserve. 

Every tank of fuel has consistently netted a true calculated average 40-41mpg with the display switching to 'distance to empty' countdown reading of 42-48 miles remaining at around 170-175 miles.  The fuel capacity is .8 gallon more but the fuel economy is less resulting in the same tank range for both bikes.

The last thing of note, magazine reviews report that the bike is deceptively fast and that it is easy to get in over your head without realizing it, very true.  Its so relaxed riding that I often find myself 20-30mph over what I thought I am traveling, it just doesn't feel that fast until I look at the speedo and realize that I'm going 80mph through these sweeping curves.  😎👍

Thanks for the update betoney. I still have a bit of dive bomb kid left in me and I keep thinking I might sell the FJ for a MT10. I'm glad Honda is filling the urge you are looking for. Always was a Honda man till I bough my first VMax, a Yellow 1994. I know the motor has to be buttery smooth. Honda doesn't push any of their engines anymore. It will last forever. Even though you are happy with the suspension I'm sure you will get some correct springs for your weight, and a rear shock. Have a wonderful spring and summer riding the new member of the family. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

I was disappointed when they discontinued this model. Looks like there's a dealer in Oregon that has a few new ones or multiple ads for the same bike. Have to go back and look again. I think it was on Cycle Trader.

I was a Honda guy way back. Had a couple of 750SS. 

Something to be said about 600 lbs., but nimble. The other bike I had was 50 lbs. heavier than my FJ. Was more stable in windy conditions. We get our fair share of wind. Blows me all over the road on the FJ.

Keep the updates coming. 

Yes, there is a dealer in Oregon that is advertising a few of each, manual and DCT transmissions, brand new. 

The more I ride it, the more I am impressed with the agility and handling for a bike its size, don't get me wrong, when maneuvering it around in the garage or driveway it is a BITCH but the second you get underway you would think you are riding a completely different bike.  

Here is a photo today from my ride up Spirit Lake Highway to the Johnston Ridge Observatory at Mt St Helen's.

image.thumb.png.948605af4d657d5a30c07a7e7e9d9078.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Thanks for the update betoney. I still have a bit of dive bomb kid left in me and I keep thinking I might sell the FJ for a MT10.

I would love to ride the MT10 but as much as I love to ride to out of the way places and long road trips, the horrible fuel economy wouldn't work for me as my only bike.

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I would love to ride the MT10 but as much as I love to ride to out of the way places and long road trips, the horrible fuel economy wouldn't work for me as my only bike.

I end up sport touring with Gen1 and Gen2 VMaxes that need gas every 100 miles even though I can do 150 miles easy "Sport Touring". So for me switching to a bike that needs gas every 100 miles, I'll be like everyone else. Well, not everyone. We do have a Victory bagger and a BMW, early 1000 in line 4. I get gas every stop now because I can't make it to the 2nd stop. AND twisted throttle has a hardbag set up for them, ;D. And still around 462 lbs. wet, new. And we ride the Ozarks and NC_Tenn_Ga. area, and have for years. We're old! We know where every gas station is in all the Podunk towns, LOL! I can do it because luckily, it works for me. 

• Like 1

I would love to have a modern day bike with the V4 motor. I've had in the past a Honda Magna V45, V65 and Yamaha Vmax. Probably putting about 100,000 miles between them. The Vmax in particular remains my favorite bike I've ever owned over the years.

That motor just puts a sh!t eating grin on your face every time.

• Like 1