okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

11 hours ago, piotrek said:

FortNine has these now at CAD $199 (R) and CAD $152 (F). That's CAD $351 (USD $270) delivered. Your taxes are also somewhat low, no?

For me it shows $225 rear, $181 front when you select the correct tire sizes.  That ends up being $406CAD/$311USD.  

But I wasn't thinking about usd vs. cdn, just $250 a set vs $400+ a set.  I mean, that's still a good price for tires for here, but... *sighs*  I'd run them for $250 a set for sure :)   But at $406.... I'll pay the extra $157 for Road 6's.  I get easily twice the mileage from the Road's, and much more even wear.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

For me it shows $225 rear, $181 front when you select the correct tire sizes.

Weird... double checked, and indeed the prices I quoted were for the right sizes. 🤔

517378568_Screenshot_20220620-0005022.png.0a282e696ddf33d13aaa7c0796c53d00.png

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

23 hours ago, piotrek said:

Weird... double checked, and indeed the prices I quoted were for the right sizes. 🤔

517378568_Screenshot_20220620-0005022.png.0a282e696ddf33d13aaa7c0796c53d00.png

I wonder if pricing is different per province?  Doesn't make much sense, as taxes are extra - and ours would be cheaper if that where the case.  I mean, Roadsmart 3's here:

Roadsmart.jpg.dccae2c55288d8a3c7816d548c5e27c8.jpg

Are exactly the same.  But the T32's:

T32.jpg.1ae34790edeb10ad383b4f86c6f47648.jpg

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I wonder if pricing is different per province?

LOL... something is lost in the messaging here between us. Looks like their price is consistent, whether ordering from Ontario or Alberta.

image.png.04ce14e593972809173f515252f26e9d.png

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 6/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, piotrek said:

LOL... something is lost in the messaging here between us. Looks like their price is consistent, whether ordering from Ontario or Alberta.

image.png.04ce14e593972809173f515252f26e9d.png

Maybe they were just coming off sale between your first look and when I checked?  Who knows. 

• Supporting Member

...OR they're messing with the prices per customer, a la Amazon hahaha

I gotta say, those Dunlop RSIII's are starting to look better and better.  I've been enjoying the Michelin R5's, but...whew they ain't cheap.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys.  A newb from Ontario here. I'm picking up a used 2020 GT today.  Think it'll need a rear tire to certify.  Looks like Pete's Superbikes has pricing to beat Fortnine.  I'm thinking of getting a set of Roadsmart III's from them.

• Thumbsup 4

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

8 hours ago, Heavy said:

Hey Guys.  A newb from Ontario here. I'm picking up a used 2020 GT today.  Think it'll need a rear tire to certify.  Looks like Pete's Superbikes has pricing to beat Fortnine.  I'm thinking of getting a set of Roadsmart III's from them.

You won't go wrong with the RSIIIs especially if you have a handlebar wobble like I did with the crap stock tires.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Keeping an eye on this thread, already at ~4K on my 22 T9GT bought in August. So far stock BattleAx tires have been good, but thinking of going with Michelins as I have those on my C14. Maybe the Road 6 GTs as the Road 5's have been great on the C14 for dry and wet weather.

I'm at 6,900 miles on my Road 6s.  The rear is somewhat flat in the center but that's because my trip didn't have enough curves and lots of straight roads.  Lots of Canadian miles across the plains.  The front is doing the best I've had in a long time, some scalloping but not bad at all.  Looks like I'd easily get 10,000 out of the rear but will probably take another long trip before I wear it out.  Front will defiantly last thru another rear.    Tire pressures were 34 front and 40 rear so a bit on the low side.  My experience has been that tires loose pressure for a few miles/days after being mounted and then do not leak much at all.  I thought about putting more in them but never had a easy place to do it.  They saw a lot of high temps in the second half of the trip with 104 being the highest.

• Thumbsup 2

Just to toss in an entirely anecdotal but concerning data point:

I bought a set of the Avon Storm 3D XM tires from American Moto Tire. I've used Avons in the past, including a set of the Storm 3D on a different bike, and been quite happy with them, plus the pricing was sort of almost reasonable.

Long story short, the front was obviously defective; as soon as I got over 60mph, there was a STRONG vibration from the front. After some investigation, I found that there was a "bulge" in one section on the left side of the tire. It was hard to see when balancing, but with the front end in the air and spinning the front, I held a grease pencil braced against the fender, and was able to move it closer and closer until it marked the deviation.

It looks like the tires are made in a multipart mold, and the deviation is in one segment. YES, the tire installed and balanced normally and easily with no damage; YES the bead was seated fully all the way around, and the line was even. YES, the wheel is straight. YES, I've installed hundreds of motorcycle tires (including many from AMT). There were less than 20 miles on the tire when I removed it.

Three weeks later, I'm still waiting for AMT and Avon to approve a warranty claim or do anything at all about this. I've provided the photos and information requested, but AMT claims Avon is not responding. Not sure who's stalling here, but both organizations are on my fecal roster right now, and may remain there depending on how things shake out.

I had a ride coming up in a few days, so I re-installed my old front Dunlop RSIII and spent a blissful few days in the Missouri twisties. FWIW, the rear Avon handed wonderfully. However, on the last day, I started feeling a vibration from the rear at higher speeds, and this only got worse over the next week or so. (No, there is no damage, no incidents, no visible reason for there to be a problem. I was not able to spot any issues with the tire visually.)

So yeah, two defective Avon tires. Niiiiiiiiice. Real damn nice. 😠

With more big rides coming up soon in Arkansas and Kentucky, I swallowed hard, considered my "zero doubt" principles concerning motorcycle tires, and coughed up $270 for a set of the proven Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. From a different seller, of course, (Revzilla). Flawless so far. (FWIW, the data codes were mid-2022).

I would have gotten the Dunlop Roadsmart IVs, but they were over $100 a set more... WTFBBQ.

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

270 for RS3s is a decent $ these days...

I paid 205 for new RS2s the multi compound version and was Happy 

Paid the same for a set of T32 & S22 last year but that was last year...

Agreed. $270 for a set of tires is a bargain these days. 😡

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***