okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

Just got an email from CheapCycleParts.com with a Michelin $50 rebate on a set of Michelin tires - $30 for off road tires.  Rebate is good thru 3/7/2022.  Cheap Cycle Parts used to be New Enough - never understood that name but have gotten some good deals over the years.

Yup tire cupping does have to do with riding style - have been known to do some heavy braking.  Do think dread design and deep sipes contributes as well.  Have always had front cupping but think the Tracer GT suspension (and mine is not set up that great) and the big tread blocks are contributors as well.  

• Thumbsup 2

40 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

How many miles did you get? And I'm assuming you were on top of tire pressures 36/42?

just a bit over 3k and past the wear bars/squared off. Yep check tire pressure before every ride. They had real good turn-in& grip character but could tell right away they weren't gonna last- siping edges would "feather" after a spirited jaunt,eh

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

Just got my 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 in July. The rear was worn out already. 1st replacement was Shinko Raven now need to replace it after about 4000mi. I got a Pirelli Angel ST. We'll see how it goes. I wanted a Michelin Road 5 but I saved $100.

My tracer had Pirelli Angel ST in front when I bought it, and it was horrible at hard braking, but looked almost as new. ABS was kicking in every time I brake harder on tarmac, changed it to Michelin road 5 as soon as I could.  I have used before many different models of Michelins, Metzelers and Dunlops and loved it. With bridgestone I had problems with front cupping. Last few tires was only michelin road. Currently back tire is road 5 and front will be changed to road 6 in a moth after this year season will start.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, Jfundo said:

Why does nobody mention the Dunlop Roadsport 2s?  Are they embarrassingly too cheap for anyone to admit they buy them?  They seem like they are actually a good option. 

If l admitted buying Shinko I'd do so after getting some Dunlops 😁

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jfundo said:

Why does nobody mention the Dunlop Roadsport 2s?  Are they embarrassingly too cheap for anyone to admit they buy them?  They seem like they are actually a good option. 

I had the newer Roadsmart 2s. Dry grip is fine for commuting. They slid in the wet pretty easily. Mileage was slightly better than Roadsmart 3s (8k v 7k) if you don't count 1 flat. 

I go thru about 1 set of tires annually, so the $$ saved isn't that great compared to total cost of ownership.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, duckie said:

Little hint…….front tire cupping has more to do with setup and riding style than the tire itself.

I have had significant cupping on Michelin PR4s and no cupping on Dunlop RS III, with the same bike, rider and setup. Have heard similar testimonials from others in my group. We all ride long distance and some commute as well (me). Not saying that Michelins are worse or anything ... they are some of the best tires I have had, and have lasted a long time on my bike.

I think that the only consensus that we'll have is that the Dunlop D222s are substandard.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I have a 2021 T9GT with Bridgestone T32 tires.  This is the first time I bought a bike and liked the OEM tires.  To date I have 3500 miles and have ridden in the rain too many times.  There is no discernable wear on the rear and traction has been excellent.  Unfortunately it's winter in Chicago so no riding until the rain washes the salt off the streets.

My previous ride was a 2012 FZ-01 and i had three sets of Michelins on it, the last two were Road 5s.  Good tire good wear but the T32s feel just as good.  Just my opinion.

• Thumbsup 3

19 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I have had significant cupping on Michelin PR4s and no cupping on Dunlop RS III, with the same bike, rider and setup. Have heard similar testimonials from others in my group. We all ride long distance and some commute as well (me). Not saying that Michelins are worse or anything ... they are some of the best tires I have had, and have lasted a long time on my bike.

I think that the only consensus that we'll have is that the Dunlop D222s are substandard.

I stand by my statement. I got 6000 miles on my front and no cupping.

Why?

I'm at 7983 mi. on my FJ. I've currently got a rear RS2 on and a bald OEM 220 front. (no uneven wear) I'm waiting for my Mojo lever and blocks to be delivered. I have a front RS2 to put on and still another rear RS2 standing by.

I'm all about low price for a tire. After these are used up, Conti motion?? Shinko??  We'll see. won't be till next year at the earliest, probably 2 years.

I don't ride in the rain unless caught out, I'm a big guy so tire traction never seems to be a problem, only tire life.  I've used my share of the bigger $$$ tires in the past and since they gave LESS mileage don't blow my $$$ on them.

I do all my own tire changes since IDK, late 80's.  Until this Yamaha, (Previously all Hondas) no real problems.  I find that at least on the FJ that the hollow in the rim is much more shallow and makes the tire change way harder. That's why the late buy in of the Mojo stuff.

3 hours ago, duckie said:

I stand by my statement. I got 6000 miles on my front and no cupping.

Why?

Good for you. I don't recall saying that you were "wrong" or that "all Michelins cup" or anything like that. I stated my experience and that of my riding group. 

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

hmmm, cupping, strange magic there. Seen it on all my cruiser bike's front tires; on the Tracer only this set of Battlax have cupped in the front while rear looks perfect after a few thousand miles. 15" section is more radically cupped making me think a balancing issue

Edited by Larz
once again that tricky anglish langauge,eh

Micheline snobery ,,,overpriced 

Shinko for me ,,I have the 011 verge ,,love  them and the price  ,4 K on them and they look new ,,can't comment on wet roads since I never ride in rain if possible ,but we did get caught in a massive downpour for a few hours and they were fine 

• Like 1

For better grip and more sporty driving are bridgestone s22 and Pirelli diablo corsa 2 (even better corsa 4) I'm currently using corsa 2 and I am very, very happy ..With placement in Greece, I put them at 320 € Before that I had them pirelli Diablo rosso 3 and they took me up to 15,000km with 33-36 psi