okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

8 hours ago, Bill H said:

Micheline snobery ,,,overpriced 

Shinko for me ,,I have the 011 verge ,,love  them and the price  ,4 K on them and they look new ,,can't comment on wet roads since I never ride in rain if possible ,but we did get caught in a massive downpour for a few hours and they were fine 

I have a Shinko Raven on the rear. It' seems okay but I have not been in rain with it. It needs replacing at 4000mi and I haven't doged it. The tread pattern doesn't look like it would disperse water like the Michelin Road 5 or Pirelli Angel ST IMHO.

Just checked the actual miles on my 5’s……6295 miles and climbing….oh and no cupping and not close to wear bars, but getting there.

A motorcycle tire is a part of the suspension. If you have a setup thats works good with brand x does not mean it will wotk as good as brand y on your mototcycle. This is because of the simple fact not all motorcycle tires are the same.

Brand x likes the setup, Brand y doesnt like the setup.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

hmmm, cupping, strange magic there. Seen it on all my cruiser bike's front tires; on the Tracer only this set of Battlax have cupped in the front while rear looks perfect after a few thousand miles. 15" section is more radically cupped making me think a balancing issue

While not wanting to turn this into a thread about cupping, I agree that imbalance could certainly contribute to cupping. However in my case I only saw the cupping with my Michelin PR4s on balanced front wheels of my RS. Mind you the mileage was pretty up there when I pulled the cupped tires off. On the other hand the RS IIIs never showed cupping even as they were worn out. I like both tires but I give the edge to the RS IIIs largely because of the lack of cupping and the cheaper cost. Never really noticed cupping on the rear PR4s

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

8 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

I have a Shinko Raven on the rear. It' seems okay but I have not been in rain with it. It needs replacing at 4000mi and I haven't doged it. The tread pattern doesn't look like it would disperse water like the Michelin Road 5 or Pirelli Angel ST IMHO.

Yeah I looked at that Raven but noticed they got a bad rap,,Only 4 k sounds harsh to me ,,so far so good with Verge .

I have to say the Battlax that game with my old fz 07 lasted a long friggin time ,I replaced that at over 10 k and could have gone longer ,,and I was anything but gentle on that bike 

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

I have a Shinko Raven on the rear. It' seems okay but I have not been in rain with it. It needs replacing at 4000mi and I haven't doged it.

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

Yeah I looked at that Raven but noticed they got a bad rap,,Only 4 k sounds harsh to me ,,so far so good with Verge .

I tried the Shinko 005 Advance and it worked fine but had the worst tire life of any tire I have ever used, by half.  Completely worn through the middle with the steel cords showing at about 3,400 miles. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If I had the means and space, I would change tires myself, and probably buy the cheapest sticky I could find.

But since a tire change is quite a hassle/event, I only want to deal with it once a year and not worry about it.  Hence that's why I buy road5's from my tire guy, he only sells Michelin so that's what I use.

My bet is a few others fall into this category as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill H said:

I have to say the Battlax that game with my old fz 07 lasted a long friggin time ,I replaced that at over 10 k and could have gone longer ,,and I was anything but gentle on that bike 

Raven had the best reviews by far over any other Shinko tire to choose from on the web site at hand and that's why I got one. I don't regret it because I only payed $97 for it a "190/50 17", it had good grip. I felt safe on it and I'd get another one if in a low cash pinch. I'm moving up the latter one at a time. This bike is not new but it is to me. After this Pirelli Angel ST I will get a Michelin Road 5 or 6, what ever good deal comes along. Hopefully I'll ride long enough to try them all, A to Z

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Instinct28 said:

I'm moving up the latter one at a time. This bike is not new but it is to me. After this Pirelli Angel ST I will get a Michelin Road 5 or 6, what ever good deal comes along. Hopefully I'll ride long enough to try them all, A to Z

There's not really a need to "move up" (spend more).  If you find a tire that works great for your needs, especially if you can get it at a decent price, continue using it.  

The Angel ST tires work really well and can be purchased for less than $200 a set, while the Michelins are close to $400 a set.  Do they offer $200 more performance or $200 more tread life than the Pirelli's? 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As far as Shinkos go I've ran both the Raven and the newer Verge on previous bikes. On the rear the Raven gets far more mileage. Not sure on the front. 

Ive found that a lot with tires through the years. What makes a great rear tire doesn't make a great front in the same model.

• Thumbsup 2

9 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

As far as Shinkos go I've ran both the Raven and the newer Verge on previous bikes. On the rear the Raven gets far more mileage. Not sure on the front. 

Ive found that a lot with tires through the years. What makes a great rear tire doesn't make a great front in the same model.

When I got this bike it had a Shinko Verge front and it had good tread and grip but it wore out very quickly. 

18 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

While not wanting to turn this into a thread about cupping, I agree that imbalance could certainly contribute to cupping. However in my case I only saw the cupping with my Michelin PR4s on balanced front wheels of my RS. Mind you the mileage was pretty up there when I pulled the cupped tires off. On the other hand the RS IIIs never showed cupping even as they were worn out. I like both tires but I give the edge to the RS IIIs largely because of the lack of cupping and the cheaper cost. Never really noticed cupping on the rear PR4s

I had the same experience with the Michelin PR4s.  No problem with two sets of Road 5s after 20,000+ miles,

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, Bill H said:

hmmm, yeah the Battlax look too last for sure, at least in the rear; of course that's at the expense of good feeling grip and, to me at least, heavy turn-in which I do not like at all on the Tracer. The front cupping could be a carcass issue- bargain bin set- compounded by poor balancing+ shite suspension setup: full disclosure, I had the 15K service done at a shop, was a bit over 1k later that I realized they had turned all the fork suspension settings( Andreani carts) down all the way ( damn I thought she was handling funky but screw me over being stupid for not  checking the settings for that long,eh)

Edited by Larz

17 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

When I got this bike it had a Shinko Verge front and it had good tread and grip but it wore out very quickly. 

Im ok with the front wearing out about the same as the rear ,,makes making a decision to replace both easier ,,if that makes sense 

• Thumbsup 2

22 hours ago, Bill H said:

Im ok with the front wearing out about the same as the rear ,,makes making a decision to replace both easier ,,if that makes sense 

You might like the Conti RA 3 then, designed to replace front and rear at the same time

Edited by Larz