okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

Another vote fot the Road 5's. I bought the Tracer with Dunlop RSIII's and really did not like them in the beginning, but I have to admit that the suspension was probably a big part of the slipping and sliding on wet surfaces. In the end I grew used to them and after getting Ohlins they were fine. I put on the road 5's before leaving on a Switzerland tour last summer and they have been perfect for me. I haven't thought about tyres since, which is a good sign. 

I have to add that I've come to the conclusion that these tyre threads are often not very useful because the riding style is a huge factor but it is seldom disclosed. Commuting vs aggressive B-road cornering requires completely different tyres. 

For the OP's "good grip and decent mileage" I might even recommend the RSIII's which I would never buy again. For better grip I would go with the Road 5's. YMMV

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, petshark said:

…these tyre threads are often not very useful because the riding style is a huge factor but it is seldom disclosed. Commuting vs aggressive B-road cornering requires completely different tyres.

Absolutely.  And everyone’s perception of ‘aggressive’ is based solely on their own frame of reference:  It’s funny how everybody slower than you is incompetent, while anyone faster is ‘f**king insane’.  😉

That’s why I try and provide some ‘context of usage’ around my opinion in these discussions…  and that’s all it is:  My opinion.   I chuckle a bit at well-intended people trying to convince me I’m wrong.  I’ll listen closely and take what’s offered as useful input, but only I really know what works for me, on my bike, in my climate, with my riding style and personal preferences.  

With that said, Michelins are the greatest tire ever, and you would be a fool to try anything else!  🙄😃

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 5

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, petshark said:

I bought the Tracer with Dunlop RSIII's and really did not like them in the beginning, but I have to admit that the suspension was probably a big part of the slipping and sliding on wet surfaces. In the end I grew used to them and after getting Ohlins they were fine.

I have to add that I've come to the conclusion that these tyre threads are often not very useful because the riding style is a huge factor but it is seldom disclosed. Commuting vs aggressive B-road cornering requires completely different tyres.

Very good points about bike setup, riding style and individual requirements.  EVERYTHING is subjective and the truth is most modern tires will outperform most riders abilities.  I have been to track days and watched Harley's with cruiser tires and BMW GS's with adventure tires tear it up around the track without issue.

Another point to consider is "recommended" tire pressure.   Just like suspension settings, the manual lists "recommended" starting points but what happens if a rider were to experiment and find what works for them and their individual environment? the tire that previously sucked might now work perfectly.  Experimenting can give you completely different end results based on the individual riders wants and needs.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Absolutely.  And everyone’s perception of ‘aggressive’ is based solely on their own frame of reference:  It’s funny how everybody slower than you is incompetent, while anyone faster is ‘f**king insane’.  😉

Ain't it the truth often enough. Although I know people who ride slower than me but whom I consider to be very competent riders, just conservative. They are the folks who typically get more MPGs out of their bikes and more mileage out their rear tires than average. At best I would say I'm a "spirited" rider: I've ridden with kids on their Hyper-naked FZ-09s- it's cool to watch from the rear as a talented rider picks perfect lines through tight turns while pulling 11 o'clock wheelies at every exit🤪( of course when the road straightens a bit, what's left of my ego demands blowing by them at triple digits- why else have a fairing,eh) 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, betoney said:

Very good points about bike setup, riding style and individual requirements.  EVERYTHING is subjective and the truth is most modern tires will outperform most riders abilities.  I have been to track days and watched Harley's with cruiser tires and BMW GS's with adventure tires tear it up around the track without issue.

Another point to consider is "recommended" tire pressure.   Just like suspension settings, the manual lists "recommended" starting points but what happens if a rider were to experiment and find what works for them and their individual environment? the tire that previously sucked might now work perfectly.  Experimenting can give you completely different end results based on the individual riders wants and needs.

Can't recall seeing a HD 'tear it up" around the track 🙂  Totally agree with you, most novice group track day riders are going faster than on the street but again not at a tire limited pace.  I doubt most intermediate group riders are really using the full abilities of their tires.  However on the street there is the need for margin for safety and error.  Why my tires almost always have a bit of "chicken strip" - I call it my error strip.  If I get into it then I've made a mistake of had to go to the limit to avoid someone.  

On my CBR600RR for "fun" rides I'd always drop my tire pressures.  Used to run 28 to 30 PSI in the rear if my memory is good and about 24 in the front. but that was a decade ago.  Now I just run 36/42 which is the standard pressure.  My 424 pound ZX6R and my 475+++ pound Tracer 900 GT when fully loaded have the same tire pressure recommendations.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, PhotoAl said:

.....my go to tire is the Michelin Road 5.  For the front went to a Michelin Pilot Power 5 just to have a bit more grip on a light front.  They have both done well although the Power 5 does scallop on the front - just like the Road 5 did.......

Have decided on the Michelins, so you feel that the power 5 is better on the front as opposed to the Road 5 there, then? How about the Road 6, as good as the 5? 

Going to to do Colorado Million Dollar Highway and such- already rode all the stuff in Utah: Beartooth, Hogsback,etc. probably do some New Mexico on the way back, so need to get at least 4k before rubber goes to shit. Way things are going likely blow retirement $$ on gas but WTH, ain't likely to get any cheaper in my lifetime

• Thumbsup 1

Know what you mean about the gas.  Filled up the van today at Costco - almost $50!  I've got a Bolt for most of my driving but getting expensive.  My wife said she needs to start driving her Smart car to Costco for gas, told her I could just put a 5 gallon tank in the back of the Bolt and get it for her and save the trip.

I went with the Power 5 on the front just to have a bit more grip - not that felt a lack of it before.  It works nicely.  Current Power 5 front and Road 5 rear have done very nicely.  Had lots of fun on the mountain roads and now with near 7,000 miles on them have lots of tread left.  Didn't take them to the edge 1/2" chicken strips but that the way I like it on unfamiliar roads.  Even with all the mountain roads plus 4 or 5 thousand miles on relatively straight roads they are doing well.  Tried to run the rear right at 42PSI and the front at 37PSI which is probably a couple above what I have in the past.  Not as good for sticking in the corners but helps with scalloping on the front and center wear on the rear.

I would expect the Power 5 and Road 5 to last well beyond 4,000 miles.  I estimate 9,000 for the rear but based on the current one maybe 10,000.  I would not take a Road 5 with 4,000 miles on it and set out on a 5,000 mile trip.  Saw a Road 6 today.  Looks like a Power 5 with some extra sipes.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2

16 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I would expect the Power 5 and Road 5 to last well beyond 4,000 miles.  I estimate 9,000 for the rear but based on the current one maybe 10,000.  I would not take a Road 5 with 4,000 miles on it and set out on a 5,000 mile trip. 

I once got 10k miles out of a rear Michelin Pilot Road 4 and 11k out of the front PR4, which by that time had been badly cupped but still rode fine. Best mileage I got on tires on the BMW. I now have a trusty Dunlop RS3 on the front of the Tracer in order to solve the handlebar wobble issue with the factory Dunlop D222s, which it did. I know that will last a long time too.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

3 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Ok, what's with this?? 🤔😮

Screenshot_20220311-084703_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220311-084639_Chrome.jpg

Where did you see this? Facebook? I would say that it is some sort of ripoff. I have seen $1000 shed advertisements for like under $100 on FB. I would not buy this.

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Found on google search.

Russian hacking begun?

Quite possible. When something appears too good to be true, it is. Scams don't need to be 100% effective to be worth the zero investment costs.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Quite possible. When something appears too good to be true, it is. Scams don't need to be 100% effective to be worth the zero investment costs.

generate a one time use card number and make sure it's a credit card.. what do you have to lose? LOL.