FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

Please, post before and after Dyno charts! Let me know if you need help posting them!

FYI, my baseline dyno is going to be with the M4 slip-on, since that is now installed. After installing the M4 it is quite anemic in the bottom end, and makes it a bit harder not to stall it during clutch engagement.

Nels (@2wheeldynoworks),
If you need my bike longer than an hour or two for dyno/tune on Thursday your welcome to it, I'd just need to find a ride to and from work (near Hwy 9 and 522 interchange).

~Joe (cell ending in 6968)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is my bike on the dyno. Just got home and dayum!! The change is amazing. Nels played with a few things, but the map he had for the 2015 fz09 was pretty dead on. We got 107hp at the rear wheel and about 61lbs/ft. I left in a hurty and forgot the dyno sheet, but i'm sure they will post it. We took a lot of pictures for a "how to" write up on getting to the ECU. Also did a max speed run, made it to 160mph in 6th gear when we hit the rev limiter. The biggest thing you notice after tuning is the low to mid range smoothness. I rode the 20 miles home without using the clutch at all to shift up or down. This tune is MANDARORY for all FJ09s. Even with no mods like my bike, the flash makes it feel completely reborn

Great review! Worth every penny, isn't it!

http://i.imgur.com/zfYFtA7.jpg

During the tuning, Nels noticed the power was a little low at first. And the AF ratio was a little rich. Since we had the tank loose, it was sitting on top of the airbox intake. There is a piece of foam glued under the tank that was restricting the air inlet when the tank was sitting lower. We put a few bolts back in the tank, which raised it up, but decided to remove the foam just in case. That little piece of foam netted 3-4 hp and the air fuel ratio was perfect after taking it out. Just something to think about if you are pulling your ECU out for tuning anyway

And another thing. We did a baseline run before tuning, but did not get a max power run. We were hitting the speed limiter in 4th gear, so the power would cut out. Even in 3rd gear, we were setting a failsafe mode because of the difference in wheel speed since the front tire does not move on the dyno. When they put the pictures up, you will see the difference in power on the graphs, but only up until the cutout from the speed limiter. So dont look for perfect before and after stats here. Nels has spent many hours with the FZ09, smoothing this map out to perfection, and he is always refining things. Even after our dyno runs, he found a part of the program that limits power at high rpms in 5th and 6th gear. So he flashed those muzzles out of the map so the bike pulls hard all the way to red line in every gear. Realistically you will not notice some of these little touches riding around on the street. But rest assured that every inch inch of the fueling has been worked out by the master. Plus he will reflash for free if you any issues, or change exhausts. Like I said, MANDATORY

Question for Nels.  I'm interested in the speedo correction logic.  In the old days of mechanical speedos, each bike would be different.  Given the new tech electronic senders, and digital readout, are we now confident that all Fj bikes have the same speedo error?  This would allow you to make a single fix, obviously.  Can you please elaborate on this a bit?

Picking my bike up this weekend, but will be looking for this refresh in the coming month(s).

Thanks

Question for Nels.  I'm interested in the speedo correction logic.  In the old days of mechanical speedos, each bike would be different.  Given the new tech electronic senders, and digital readout, are we now confident that all Fj bikes have the same speedo error?  This would allow you to make a single fix, obviously.  Can you please elaborate on this a bit? 
Picking my bike up this weekend, but will be looking for this refresh in the coming month(s).

Thanks

I would call or message Nels so that he doesn't miss this. He is very busy and is not on the forum very often.

Wow, looking back at the many threads of people who were so upset about the top speed limiter a couple months ago, I figured that this thread would be full of celebration.  
No orders today at all, according to Nels. Nothing wrong with that per say, but I guess people really aren't all that upset with the top speed limiter?

I will be talking with them this week to get some questions answered. While I do want the speed limiters gone I don't want to sacrifice range for additional performance.

Nels- I've read that some places have been able to add cruise control features to their ecu flash (ie- tuneboys with their ducati flashes) and was wondering if anything like this would/could be added. I would love that.
2015 FJ-09
2004 KTM 525

Nels- I've read that some places have been able to add cruise control features to their ecu flash (ie- tuneboys with their ducati flashes) and was wondering if anything like this would/could be added. I would love that.

I would call or text Nels as he is very busy and doesn't spend alot of time on the forums.

Archived