FJ-09 flash is ready! *Updated*

• Premium Member
I'm no expert but since it's rather unusual to have such a relatively low top speed limited by the manufacturer, has anybody considered that the bike might not be very stable at speeds higher than that?  Or that the speed might be limited for some other very good reason?  I did see a video somewhere on this site where an FJ-09 developed a little wobble at speed (wound out in second if I remember the video correctly, but I could be wrong and that wouldn't put it anywhere near the 118 or 119 limit).  Anyway, I'm just thinkin' out loud.... 
This has been beaten to death in many other posts. Basically, the determination is a high speed instability with the hard bags on as some have reported. With hard bags, the high speed instability is minimal and totally fixed with some suspension tweaking as I have done (proper sag, read stiffer, and one more click on rebound in the forks and 1/4 less of a turn in the back). Note, the European models do not have this 114/115 mph limiter and they do not sell the hard bags in Europe.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm no expert but since it's rather unusual to have such a relatively low top speed limited by the manufacturer, has anybody considered that the bike might not be very stable at speeds higher than that?
FWIW, that's what I have been thinking too.  With such quick steering it wouldn't be too surprising if it were prone to shake when the front gets light.  Put luggage or a top case on it and get it up much above a ton and instability seems likely. 
The way I look at it, if you want a sportbike that goes a zillion miles an hour they sell lots of those.  Had one, loved a lot of things about it, but running it anywhere near its limits off the racetrack was illegal as hell.  I rarely topped the ton, much less the 150mph it was capable of, making its top speed merely theoretical.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I love to ride tight roads where even 60mph is pretty quick, and on those roads having a bike that turns quickly and jumps when you cane it is way better than having one that's blazing fast.  I'll likely test the FJ's speed limiter at some point, but I can't consider its mere existence to be a problem in any way other than the principle of the thing.  The FJ really isn't a sportbike.

And if that limiter is there because the bike gets unstable, well, that will probably help keep me from killing myself that one time I really wick it up.  :D

IMO if there's any reason to reflash it's to fix the lean burn surging down low.  I don't consider it to be a serious problem on the FJ, but it would be nice if it weren't there at all.  Maybe not $350 nice, though (sorry!).

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
IMO if there's any reason to reflash it's to fix the lean burn surging down low.  I don't consider it to be a serious problem on the FJ, but it would be nice if it weren't there at all.  Maybe not $350 nice, though (sorry!).

I concur. You can burn a lot of extra gas for $350, keeping the revs up and slipping the clutch to smooth out the low speed power delivery. Of course, I am speaking as one who has not had an artificial speed limitation device enforced upon me at the other end of the rev range...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
Would love to have this done, but I can't have my bike out of commission for as long as it would take to send my ECU from Japan to the US and wait for it to be returned. I'll have to source a new ECU (yikes that price) and send it instead.

Wow, looking back at the many threads of people who were so upset about the top speed limiter a couple months ago, I figured that this thread would be full of celebration.  
No orders today at all, according to Nels. Nothing wrong with that per say, but I guess people really aren't all that upset with the top speed limiter?

I would have likely sent my ECU a month ago, but now it is riding weather, and additional farkles have caught my eye and snagged my wallet.  Also, I was hoping the ransom for a reflash would be a little lower, and I may wait to see if there are other offerings.  And, if not, I'll probably end up sending in my ECU in the fall. 

I'm no expert but since it's rather unusual to have such a relatively low top speed limited by the manufacturer, has anybody considered that the bike might not be very stable at speeds higher than that?  Or that the speed might be limited for some other very good reason?  I did see a video somewhere on this site where an FJ-09 developed a little wobble at speed (wound out in second if I remember the video correctly, but I could be wrong and that wouldn't put it anywhere near the 118 or 119 limit).  Anyway, I'm just thinkin' out loud.... 
I believe this is probably the reason for the limiting of top speed. Suzuki did the same thing with the DL1000 V-Strom ... and after a few years actually admitted that was the reason they did it. I had the first year, a 2002 press bike my magazine bought from Suzuki cheap. It would not rev past 6 or 7K in 5th or 6th gear. Red line was 9K ... but it would not go there in 5th or 6th. Top speed of just 120 mph. With the ECU modded, top speed was very near 145 mph.  
The fact is .. the V-Strom DID have a minor high speed weave (NOT a tank slapper) ... not a big deal, IMO, easily remedied by dropping forks in triples and raising up rear pre-load to max. I never reflashed my ECU but after chassis mods weave was pretty much eliminated. With Suzuki, this reaction was left over fear from the TL1000, which had severe wobbles, well noted in the UK. Law suits were filed, rider killed. But the VStrom was never like that, not really dangerous, no crashes I ever heard of in my 6 years on Vstrom forums.

No idea about the FJ-09 ... hopefully it's a simple fix to stabilize the bike. Lots of things can affect this as the experts will tell you ... including wind blast from riding behind a big truck, weird or worn tires and tire pressures, your grip pressure on bars, suspension and chassis set up and MUCH MORE arcane stuff.

From Nels at 2wheeldynoworks: 
I am making a special deal for the first three local guys to come down to the shop. Once the ECU is flashed, it will be open for future adjustments. So, if you pay for the flash will will complete a full custom dyno for free with you in the dyno room and part of the entire process.

Perfect timing! My M4 exhaust showed up on Friday, I finished my 1K mile break-in today, and Nel's shop is blocks from my work... 8-)

From Nels at 2wheeldynoworks: 
I am making a special deal for the first three local guys to come down to the shop. Once the ECU is flashed, it will be open for future adjustments. So, if you pay for the flash will will complete a full custom dyno for free with you in the dyno room and part of the entire process.

Perfect timing! My M4 exhaust showed up on Friday, I finished my 1K mile break-in today, and Nel's shop is blocks from my work... 8-)

Awesome that you live so close. If you are one of the first three you will get free Dyno pulls! Please, post before and after Dyno charts! Let me know if you need help posting them!

Just got off the phone with Nels.....He will be posting pics of an FJ removing the ECU for those of us (Myself) that are not mechanically inclined.
On my bike he will do all the updates to the ECU that the power commander can't.... I can't wait  !! 
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

That is my bike on the dyno. Just got home and dayum!! The change is amazing. Nels played with a few things, but the map he had for the 2015 fz09 was pretty dead on. We got 107hp at the rear wheel and about 61lbs/ft. I left in a hurty and forgot the dyno sheet, but i'm sure they will post it. We took a lot of pictures for a "how to" write up on getting to the ECU. Also did a max speed run, made it to 160mph in 6th gear when we hit the rev limiter. The biggest thing you notice after tuning is the low to mid range smoothness. I rode the 20 miles home without using the clutch at all to shift up or down. This tune is MANDARORY for all FJ09s. Even with no mods like my bike, the flash makes it feel completely reborn

Archived