O RING Chain coming apart

Anyone else having chain issues ? ,my 2020 with about 8 k miles is falling apart ,,the o rings are breaking and hanging like hair from an untrimmed  nose ,,and I am a fanatic about keeping clean and oiled 

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

2021 here six weeks old with 2100 miles on it.  Chain is perfect.  What do you use for lube?

7 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

2021 here six weeks old with 2100 miles on it.  Chain is perfect.  What do you use for lube?

A couple different things ,,Bel Ray,Dumonde Tech ,,wd 40.  { KIDDING}  ,,,🤪 I made sure whatever it was was O ring recommended ,,I read somewhere Yamaha had a bad batch of chains ,,my FZ 07 had no problems after 16 K 

Mine made it 11,000 miles before replacing.  I may have been able to get 12,000 with a good cleaning and lubing.  It had several stiff links was dirty and since was headed out on long trip didn't think it would last.  Did not take the best care of the chain, had a couple of trips on it and didn't get the best loving care but was never totally nasty.  

9 hours ago, Cornersruns said:

Yamaha approved a warranty replacement for me @ 6000 Miles.

9 hours ago, Cornersruns said:

Yamaha approved a warranty replacement for me @ 6000 Miles.

sounds like cheap chains with Yamaha 

you put 6K miles on it within a year ?,,wow 

BTW I had a cat identical to yours,,if that's yours,, weight about 8 pounds soaking wet ,,

Edited by Bill H
  • Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Bill H said:

sounds like cheap chains with Yamaha 

I heard that it was a faulty batch from DID, but no proof of that.

The 6000 miles was all pleasure riding 🙂 I no longer commute on the bike.

Edited by Cornersruns

I put 17,000+ miles in the first year 🙂  

I've wondered if more miles at a steady speed versus more stop and go makes a difference.Nine saw heat, cold dust rain and sometimes rain and dust.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW did not think this was still a problem, my chain o'rings dropped to pieces . On my 2019 900GT .

I got in touch with Yamaha and they said yes we have had a bad batch from D.I.D. chains.

We are replacing them F.O.C. Some bikes had only done 4000 miles and the chain was crap.

Mine had done 14000 miles and they sad sorry to many miles.

Cannot believe there is still bad chains 3 years later.

Cheers Edgar Jessop

Ummm, mine went at 11,000 miles - wish I'd taken it in.  as it was ln 10 months old at the time but I put quality components on it (DID 525 VX3).  

Make sure you get a rivet master link.  Last summer was hard to get anything so wind up with a clip master link and 2 extra links!  installed correctly and took a 6,400 mile trip.  Master link clip was on there at least 2/3s of the way as I checked.  Got home and no clip!  Got a replacement clip and put it on.  Looked the other day and replacement is MIA!  I had ordered a DVD 525VX3 rivet master link so now going to do it right and install the rivet master link. 

Installed a ScottOiler when the chain was installed, not perfect but keeps lube on the chain.

Yamaha OEM chains are pants. Bad. Bunkum. Naff. Janky. Codswallop. It's just part of the deal.

Replace with an actual high quality chain and sprockets and don't worry about it.

I was astonished to find the original chain still creaking along on my bike when I bought it at 21,000 miles. It was haggard, wobbly, rusty in spots, and missing o-rings, but the previous owner had apparently succeeded in his life goal to not buy a chain.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1