2015 Tracer suspension

vancuy

My 2015 Tracer has one front rebound adjustment only. How does it work ? Having only one on right hand fork?
I am curious if I can find another right hand fork insert , would I be able to  install it on the left fork?

2 comments

Comment

• Supporting Member

Both forks act as a single unit when fixed to the bike. Having rebound damping in both forks wouldn't be a benefit. Without splitting hair... the one adjusted more restrictive (H) would have the default effect on damping performance for the entire assembly. What most upscale fork sets would have is rebound damping in one fork, and compression damping in the other. Yours is a budget unit that combines both in one cartridge (right side), and of the two... only rebound damping is adjustable.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Racetech shop in Sydney have done lots of work with the MT09 forks (identical to the Tracer) on the shock dyno. 

They found that the single cartridge set up can be made to work nearly as well as the twin set up as it loads the shim stacks a lot better. 

My original plan was to get a second cartridge but they talked me out of it as it didn’t offer much bang for buck. 

The right springs with properly set up gold valves work very well. 

Not as good as a quality set of after market cartridges, but only a quarter of the cost. 

And if you installed a second cartridge, you will need to revalue both of them for compression and rebound as together they would be too restrictive. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ozvfr,
Firstly thanks for replying to my post. I am from melbourne.

"right springs with properly set up gold valves" looks like the way to go.

I was thinking of Hyperpro Combi Kit ($600+ labour). (Progressive springs for front and one spring for rear shock)

How much did you have to pay for Racetech springs with properly set up gold valves?
Many Thanks

Edited by vancuy
extra info

2 hours ago, vancuy said:

Hi Ozvfr,
Firstly thanks for replying to my post. I am from melbourne.

"right springs with properly set up gold valves" looks like the way to go.

I was thinking of Hyperpro Combi Kit ($600+ labour). (Progressive springs for front and one spring for rear shock)

How much did you have to pay for Racetech springs with properly set up gold valves?
Many Thanks

The springs and valving cost me around $650

Progressive springs are for old blokes with colostomy bags. Linear springs are the only way to go, you can’t set up proper damping to a spring that changes rate. 

Suspension R Us in Melbourne supplied me with the shock, YSS with remote preload adjuster (needed on the Tracer). 

Just got back from a 2500km camping trip around the Snowies and I’m very impressed. Bike could be pushed hard even fully loaded. Never wallowed or skipped once in the whole trip, even covered some pretty rough dirt roads. 

D9634B36-9410-46BB-9BCB-259A3E9EEA49.jpeg

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 3:33 PM, vancuy said:

Did you get the valve kit plus springs?

1737249751_ScreenShot2022-04-01at3_31_39pm.thumb.png.8dfd4ee24e477e50ba0629f7cf971499.png

The tracer only has 1 cartridge, so you only need one rebound and one compression valve. Type 3 has a mid valve, and I don’t think it’s an advantage on the Tracer. Just the normal gold valve kit is enough.

And yes, I also got the new springs, 0.85kg/mm in my case, I weigh 74kg.

PS: I'll also add that suspension is very personal, and just because it suits my riding doesn't mean it will suit someone else.

I've always done my own suspension work, and I'm very capable of setting up my own shim stacks and springs, have done it for many years on all of my bikes.

But the single cartridge on the Tracer was new to me, so I contacted Racetech for advice.

They had done so much work with the MT range on the shock dyno that I decided to just give it to them to sort (forks not the whole bike) and ended up very happy.

The hardest thing is always getting good control without losing comfort, it is always a compromise but you need to find what you like for how you ride. I ride my bike through the front wheel, and one thing I've never liked about the Tracer was not having enough weight on the front tyre which leads to low front feed back, that together with the stock horrendous front dive made it not a nice bike to push for my style.

I dropped the front 15mm and raised the rear 5mm, also raised the front fork oil height by 15mm. I also never use the recommended tyre pressures as I find that they’re too high for a low weight bike that doesn’t load the front very well. Usually 32/38 even with a load of gear, I would probably push that up a bit if I carried a pillion.

Front end feel is still not great, but at least I can now trust it to do what I want it to, and dive is now acceptable.

If you don't have lots of suspension know how, get someone that does. It's worth the money spent.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

FWIW... I too have the spring and Gold Valve treatment in my forks. The GV kit was CAD $200 and springs (Stoltec) around CAD $100. You will still have a fixed compression valve when done. Oil type and level that RaceTech specified didn't quite work for me, so I experimented a bit and it worked out great. This (fixed compression damping) is the only downside of this particular upgrade, but once you dial it in with oil, you're done. Overall a very good value for money.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2022 at 9:04 PM, OZVFR said:

Racetech shop in Sydney have done lots of work with the MT09 forks (identical to the Tracer) on the shock dyno. 

They found that the single cartridge set up can be made to work nearly as well as the twin set up as it loads the shim stacks a lot better. 

My original plan was to get a second cartridge but they talked me out of it as it didn’t offer much bang for buck. 

The right springs with properly set up gold valves work very well. 

Not as good as a quality set of after market cartridges, but only a quarter of the cost. 

And if you installed a second cartridge, you will need to revalue both of them for compression and rebound as together they would be too restrictive. 

FYI, I have rebound and compression in both legs, with adjustable compression in the left utilizing modified OEM parts except for the compression damping.

The front in conjunction with a Razor R shock provide admirable performance, particularly for their comparative low cost, with all labor by me.  Front springs are .95 Sonics, with preload spacers and fluid blended to 16 CST @ 40C by me as well.  Before the pandemic I was 235 in full gear, and in my yute to my late 50s (after which physicalilities have crimped my abilities but I'm working hard on that of late) I could maintain a good clip in moderate twisties and better than that in fast, tight sweepers.  Not that the bikes and particularly the tires and I were all that good when I road raced 2 strokes in the early 70s, I did acquire good fundamentals that included mechanical training, that along with the survival skills and instincts I developed working part-time as a motorcycle courier on the streets of San Francisco, and my later formal technical training, have served me well to this day in knowing what works and how to achieve it cost effectively.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:20 AM, piotrek said:

FWIW... I too have the spring and Gold Valve treatment in my forks. The GV kit was CAD $200 and springs (Stoltec) around CAD $100. You will still have a fixed compression valve when done. Oil type and level that RaceTech specified didn't quite work for me, so I experimented a bit and it worked out great. This (fixed compression damping) is the only downside of this particular upgrade, but once you dial it in with oil, you're done. Overall a very good value for money.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you try, what did you dislike during the trials phase, and what did you eventually find worked for you and why?

I’m still not 100% with my cartridges, and am contemplating GV instead. Like OZvfr mentioned (and most of us know), it’s a compromise. 

-skip

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, skipperT said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you try, what did you dislike during the trials phase, and what did you eventually find worked for you and why?

I’m still not 100% with my cartridges, and am contemplating GV instead. Like OZvfr mentioned (and most of us know), it’s a compromise. 

-skip

I simply tried thinner oil and reduced the oil volume a bit. I am now at ~14 cSt@40C (140mm) and it feels very good. There is some margin for tweaking, but anything much lower and the front starts to feel sloppy... and rebound damping adjustment moves outside useful range.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Suspension upgraded with Hyperpro Combi Kit purchased @ Hyperpro WebShop.
Delivered to Melbourne in 5 days.
A$430 (Progressive front Springs, Oil 7.5W, Progressive rear spring)
Fork Seals replaced(20700 Kms on Odometer). Genuine Yamaha (A$50), Labour A$350.
Bike corners so well. very comfortable. breaking is excellent. no more front dive.
Highly recommended for people with a budget and ride Tracer as a Sports Tourer. 😀

tracer.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2