What is that thing? My bike is good conversation

I patronize my local small business. When I pull in a parking lot and park my bike a lot of times someone has something to say about it. Good or bad. 99% good thank goodness. They say what is that? Not seeing the small Yamaha logo on the side. Most people don't know what the tuning forks are anyway but love the bike's looks. They love the way it sounds too as I do. I got this thing last summer and did some magical upgrades and now it is a unbelievable performer on highway and the twistys. Looks great, rides great. 

I'm so in love with my bike.

I hope you guys are in love with you're bike like that. 

20220305_170219.jpg

Edited by Instinct28
Wasn't finished
  • Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2

One of the funniest comments I have received from someone was in the parking lot of a gas station.  I had the bags on the bike and it was fully kitted for travel.  Pulled to a stop near a guy standing by his Harley.  I removed my helmet and the guy said, "aren't you a little old to be riding a crotch rocket?".

It seems some folks know very little about motorcycles beyond their own little world.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I bought my 2021 T9GT in February as an almost Impulse buy. I’d “retired” from riding, due to age and health, six months before thinking I’d never ride again. I sold my Harley FLTRU and gave away a huge amount of gear and tools. I didn’t know jack about the Tracer.  I was feeling the urge again to ride, and thought to go back to my Japanese roots for a new bike.

I wanted this bike because of its capabilities. It has a center stand. Cruise control. Panniers. Etc. I didn’t much care for the bike’s looks especially in the front end. Took me 1500 miles to get my body set up to ride this thing competently. After 6 years on Harley tourers I wasn’t accustomed to the close-coupled riding positions of the Tracer.

But now I love the Tracer. It’s hard to get through a day without putting at least 50 miles on it. Love the looks, love the sound, love the every-day usable power from what, to me, is a small motor. The build quality is superb (typical Yamaha). I had thought that the Tracer is an “anonymous” bike, looks like so many others, nothing much to distinguish it. But people do notice it. I observe people watching it in traffic, and standing over it in the parking lot.

A groovy motorcycle that has given me a new lease on riding life. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

One of the funniest comments I have received from someone was in the parking lot of a gas station.  I had the bags on the bike and it was fully kitted for travel.  Pulled to a stop near a guy standing by his Harley.  I removed my helmet and the guy said, "aren't you a little old to be riding a crotch rocket?".

It seems some folks know very little about motorcycles beyond their own little world.

4 years ago I stopped by a local bike dealer.  Couple of HD riders and their women were next to where I parked.  Was  riding my Kawasaki ZX6R and was 60+ at the time.  Got off my bike and they were just looking at me not saying anything.  Took my helmet off and told them, "when you get to be my age you can have a bike like this".

The ZX6R was a fun bike and I was told several times "I didn't figure you would be riding that bike".

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

4 years ago I stopped by a local bike dealer.  Couple of HD riders and their women were next to where I parked.  Was  riding my Kawasaki ZX6R and was 60+ at the time.  Got off my bike and they were just looking at me not saying anything.  Took my helmet off and told them, "when you get to be my age you can have a bike like this".

The ZX6R was a fun bike and I was told several times "I didn't figure you would be riding that bike".

Good story. 

I knew a guy who was 78 and still rode a ZX6R, and he could ride fast in the twisties.  He was very fit from riding a bicycle every day and always wore full gear on his motorcycle, so it was impossible to tell he was an older rider.  He was stopped by the police and when he pulled off his helmet the cop just looked at him and said, "Oh hell no".😆   

• Haha 7

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

13 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Good story. 

I knew a guy who was 78 and still rode a ZX6R, and he could ride fast in the twisties.  He was very fit from riding a bicycle every day and always wore full gear on his motorcycle, so it was impossible to tell he was an older rider.  He was stopped by the police and when he pulled off his helmet the cop just looked at him and said, "Oh hell no".😆   

Yeah, that might be some of the looks I get. I'm 55 and 6,1 230. When I don't have the case's on "especially" the bike looks like a rice rocket so to speak. It is. 

I'm still young at heart, I play video games too.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I and many of my friends have gotten some variety of "aren't you old enough to know better?" from cops once the helmet comes off and the graying, thinning hair and beard emerge.

Dammit, let the old farts have this one advantage...

• Thumbsup 6

1 hour ago, bwringer said:

I and many of my friends have gotten some variety of "aren't you old enough to know better?" from cops once the helmet comes off and the graying, thinning hair and beard emerge.

Dammit, let the old farts have this one advantage...

Some old guys buy young girls "not to keep for ever of course" and some buy young bikes. LOL

Edited by Instinct28
Not finished
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 5:23 PM, johnmark101 said:

Good story. 

I think I know that guy !

I enjoy coming up on a pack of Harleys, doing a mass-pass on them, and disappearing around the next corner at a good lean angle.  What fun we have on our little bikes.

• Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Has an older gentleman ask me if my Niken was designed with the roads around here in mind, as there are lots of potholes locally. 😂

• Thumbsup 1