Niken GT Cruise Control Comes on Intermittently

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Went ahead and dropped my bike off at the local Yamaha dealership for troubleshooting. I still think it has something to do when they performed the brake sensor recall back in January of this year. My cruise control never did work right after that. We will see what happens. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Just heard back from the Yamaha  dealership who confirmed that it is indeed a faulty brake sensor that was installed as part of the worldwide recall service in January 2022 that is preventing the cruise control from working correctly. Dealership is checking with Yamaha of America to verify remediation - do they issue a new brake sensor kit or just order a new part.  More to come. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Authorization from Yamaha to order a new part. Part will take about a week and then install maybe another week due to high service demand prior to full riding season. 

2019 Niken GT

11 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Authorization from Yamaha to order a new part. Part will take about a week and then install maybe another week due to high service demand prior to full riding season. 

Interesting. So you do mean the Front Brake light Switch, correct? The one on the RH side of the handlebar that was replaced (attached to the front master cylinder bottom by a single screw. )

curious.  Was your brake light not operating properly with the front lever being depressed? I realize you checked it in for a Cruise control problem….

-Skip. 

• Supporting Member

Brake lights were working fine, no stickiness whatsoever when trying to activate and release front brake lever.  Only way I suspected this was possibly the culprit was by checking everything else I thought it could be and systematically ruling them out one by one until the recall part was the only thing left. The recall part was actually the brake sensor, not the switch itself. 

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Bike has been in the shop for 39 days with the replacement brake sensor still on backorder. Am looking forward to getting my bike back soon to get some summer riding in. 

• Sad 1

2019 Niken GT

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Finally got my bike back from the shop today after getting a call last Friday indicating after almost a three month wait, my replacement brake sensor finally arrived. The initial recalled brake sensor replacement was faulty so if your cruise control is acting up after the brake sensor swap, then this is most likely the culprit. 

Super happy to have cruise control working again!

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Niken GT

• 11 months later...
  • Supporting Member

From the Facebook forums from another owner who documented his fix to faulty cruise control. 

IMG_5614.png

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Approximately 18k yamaha motorcycles were impacted by the front brake switch recall issue including the Niken GTs. 

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/two-wheelers/yamaha-recalls-18-000-bikes-in-us-over-faulty-brake-light-41610189713717.html

IMG_2386.png

IMG_2387.png

Edited by maximNikenGT
Added screen captures

2019 Niken GT

• 5 weeks later...