Nothing Special

duckie

Yep, nothing really special about the 360 or so miles I did on Wednesday. It was the first time on the GT since November. It was OK weather. The beginning was a bit chilly, but warmed up nicely but never got hot.

The route was all freeway. There was the normal traffic pattern for the Bay Area, lots.  The GT makes freeway droning miles just pass without any effort. Im a fairly aggressive rider in traffic. I dont just stay on one position surrounded by cars. I like to be moving a little faster than the flow. If I get that feeling in my gut that the situation Im in is not safe…..I do whatever it takes get that feeling out of my gut.

There is one bridge that crosses the Delta that is on the route. At one time, you had to stop to pay a toll. Now they just let ya drive through, take a picture of your license plate, then send ya a bill. Hmmmmm how fast are those cameras? Ill find out, cause I went through the toll booth at bout 70.  Oh the horror…….being naughty……it was fun. 

Wind is always fun on this route. The gust can move ya around pretty good at times. Keeps ya on your guard. 

Cruise control makes this type of freeway droning tolerable. It is so nice to be able to relax my right hand, arm and shoulder allowing me     more flexibility in riding positions. Waving to other riders with my right hand….using just my left hand to steer the GT. 

The GT got really shitty mileage on one leg. I consider the “fuel gauge” to really be a concern meter. That lowest blue square comes on, I best be concerned bout getting some gas. Well that low blue square come on sooner than before, at a lower mileage also. Hmmmm why was that? Could it have been the few 10O mph+ stints…..naw nor the full throttle passes needed to get rid of that feeling in my gut. The GT will suck gas or sip gas. Its such a cool motorcycle.

On the way back, encountered a traffic accident that shut down 2 lanes of a 3 lane highway. Traffic was backed for a quite a ways. Not a problem since a motorcycle can lane split here and the GT is perfect for that purpose. The upright sitting position allows for great visibility and the motor just putts away at low rpm. Lots a drivers would move over to give me room and every one of them get a thank you wave from me. 

So ya, nothing really special about the ride or route. Where I did turn around to head back……I stopped long enough for a burger and to sign the papers for the house we wanted  to buy!!!!!!! Its ours now !!!!!! 
I am a land baron now…..massive 3.3 acres, 2000 sq ft house, 30 or so minutes from some great roads that are all gonna be new to me.  Since there is no garage, I get to design one to my liking. My dream garage just might happen.

That is what made 360 or so miles of freeway droning in traffic, wind, during the buggy time of year, poor GT….its covered in bug goo, worthwhile.  
This was a good day trip.……but  just a so so ride.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, duckie said:

.its covered in bug goo

oh yeah, this happens up here. It's everywhere, but particularly pronounced around the rice fields. Do everything you can to avoid them at dawn or at dusk, or you and your bike will never be the same again. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current