Tracer 9 recall

I received two letters today from Yamaha indicating my 2021 Tracer 9 GT has safety recalls. One is the well-known issue of losing throttle control along with a malfunction light on the dash. The fix for that is re-flashing the ECU with a new program (I’d read here that dealers were replacing throttle bodies to fix this🙄). Catch is if the ECU was previously re-flashed by aftermarket then there’s no guarantee that the new re-flash won’t kill the ECU. I hadn’t heard that any companies were doing the Tracer 9 yet and I only checked Ivan’s Performance, no listing yet for Tracer 9.

Next recall is about the throttle tube cracking if you either dropped the bike on the right side or had to pull really hard on the grip, resulting in cracking. Yamaha will replace just the tube if you haven’t dropped the bike, if you have then it’s a whole new throttle assembly!

Of course, both letters indicate I should not further operate the bike except to ride it to the shop, where it would most likely sit for weeks or months until the parts come in. Optimistically, maybe they have the parts in stock🤣.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 3

Don't like the "don't ride it part"  I'd probably be riding it to the shop via west Texas or somewhere 🙂   BMW had a really tough recall a while back with the brake calipers that took a lot of bikes off the road for a long time.  Think Yamaha will do a better job.  Sounds like if it's a reflash then shouldn't be a long wait - I'd be looking for better dealer who to do that.  

At least it's not like my Chevy Bolt which has been recalled to replace the battery.  Since I have a 2020 I further down the list for replacement so may next fall before it is replaced!  In the meantime not supposed to charge over 80% or run down below 70 miles.  About 100 miles of range at 71MPH.  Not a real problem for me but a bit frustrating.  Good part is next fall after almost 2 years of ownership I get a new battery!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Smokamoto said:

Catch is if the ECU was previously re-flashed by aftermarket then there’s no guarantee that the new re-flash won’t kill the ECU. I hadn’t heard that any companies were doing the Tracer 9 yet and I only checked Ivan’s Performance, no listing yet for Tracer 9.

Flashing wont 'kill' an ECU, they make changes and them write to the ECU, like saving a file to a flash drive.

If you are looking for a performance flash, contact Vcyclenut, he has had a flash for the 2021 MT09 available for awhile now.   https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Flashing wont 'kill' an ECU, they make changes and them write to the ECU, like saving a file to a flash drive.

If you are looking for a performance flash, contact Vcyclenut, he has had a flash for the 2021 MT09 available for awhile now.   https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

I feel it’s Yamaha’s excuse should anything go wrong🤨.

I bought my 2021 Tracer 9 GT last week and funny enough I knew about the recall before they did thanks to RideApart. Dealership ordered the $6 throttle tube on a Thursday. Called back every day and ultimately they finally had the part delivered part on Tuesday when they reopened. ECU flash is painless and alone will take them under 30 minutes, received mine on Wednesday and been blasting around like a giddy schoolgirl since. Just have your dealership order the part ahead of time and they should be able to get you in/out in under 2 hours.

Had both recalls performed before I got my bike but I really don't think the throttle tube will be unavailable much. They're common to other motos in the Yamaha lineup I believe.

RideApart article on the recall: https://www.rideapart.com/news/573006/yamaha-mt09-tracer9-ecu-recall/

And the Yamaha VIN recall check link: https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

• Thumbsup 3

I bought my T9 last April and received it in June.  When picking it up the service manager showed me that the throttle tube was cracked but the bike was rideable but it did stick every now and then.  They ordered a new throttle assembly and it took almost three months to arrive.  All covered under warranty.

That was the only problem I had and it's at 3,500 miles now.  However, It has sat in the garage since November just waiting to get out again.

• Thumbsup 1

Yep my bike has both recalls to deal with. The whole "Don't ride the bike unless its straight to a dealer" is a hard no for me. Your taking my daily therapy away from me. I'm going to call my local dealer and have them order the needed part and go in when they have it. If they can't get it for a while, well I'm still gonna ride. My bike isn't going to sit.

Any reports on if the reflashing makes a difference before and after? I think that the bike runs fine and I have a slight unreasonable fear that the re flashing will make it run worse.

The only thing that I hope the reflash does fix is a hard warm start up, this is the only issue that I have had with the bike. Say for example I'm riding around and need to stop for fuel. After filling up the bike starts but stumbles and throttle is mushy for about 10 seconds and it clears out. A restart after a couple of hours or more does not produce the same results.

• Sad 1

Same here. My 2021 T9GT has run perfectly for 3500 miles since I picked it up new in January of this year. At times, I have thought the throttle response was a little muddy during takeoffs, but at this point the bike is still new to me and I need a long time to become thoroughly familiar with a new bike. Therefore I doubt that my sensations of “throttle muddiness” are to be trusted.

Overall, the engine is a fantastic little power plant. I’ll get the recalls done ASAP but “daily therapy” is why I bought it. Daily therapy is essential!

• Thumbsup 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, Smokamoto said:

I received two letters today from Yamaha indicating my 2021 Tracer 9 GT has safety recalls. One is the well-known issue of losing throttle control along with a malfunction light on the dash. The fix for that is re-flashing the ECU with a new program (I’d read here that dealers were replacing throttle bodies to fix this🙄).

After reading the recall notice, I don't think this recall with the ECU reflash has anything to do with the "loss of throttle control" problem that many have reported.  

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

After reading the recall notice, I don't think this recall with the ECU reflash has anything to do with the "loss of throttle control" problem that many have reported.  

Correct, no mention of that… however who knows what else they may have tweaked in the background?

that “throttle muddiness” is improved, from my experience. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, skipperT said:

Correct, no mention of that… however who knows what else they may have tweaked in the background?

that “throttle muddiness” is improved, from my experience. 

-Skip

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean in your post, it states in my recall notice from Yamaha

Quote  Due to an improper ECU program, your machine may be affected by engine stalling or limited throttle response, under certain conditions.

My bike has done 8500 Miles and has stalled twice.

Regards

Greg

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, GT09 said:

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean in your post, it states in my recall notice from Yamaha

Quote  Due to an improper ECU program, your machine may be affected by engine stalling or limited throttle response, under certain conditions.

My bike has done 8500 Miles and has stalled twice.

Regards

Greg

Yes I know, I’ve read it several times. 
So hopefully the stalling will be minimized on your bike. bikes do stall for many different reasons however…. So if it stalls again sometime down the road under different circumstances, then I wouldn’t get all freaked out about it  

I’ve experienced a bit more smoothness in throttle response on both the T9Gt and the MT09 and SP after the update, is what I wanted to share. 

YMMV,

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Hi Skip

I have just got home from the dealers, they did the ECU recall, and yes I agree the throttle response is very nice and I think the quick shifter and blipper are even better, having said that they were great before the update. They are ordering a new throttle tube to be fitted at a later date.

Greg

• Thumbsup 2

I bought my T9GT last July.  It was in the shop from August through January waiting for new throttle bodies.  I am now experiencing a flat spot in the powerband that I'm hoping the reflash will take care of.  I am also getting a pulsation from the front during light braking when coming to a stop.  This particular bike has been a POS from almost day one.  If nothing else it has made me aware of how bad Yamaha Corporate really is.  As soon as I find something else I want, perhaps a Kawasaki 1000 Ninja SX, this thing will be gone.

Edited by BVEBRAD
  • Sad 3
Brad
Selbyville, DE