Tracer 9 recall

On 3/27/2022 at 9:45 AM, Eventhorizon said:

Yep my bike has both recalls to deal with. The whole "Don't ride the bike unless its straight to a dealer" is a hard no for me. Your taking my daily therapy away from me. I'm going to call my local dealer and have them order the needed part and go in when they have it. If they can't get it for a while, well I'm still gonna ride. My bike isn't going to sit.

That really ticked me off with my tracer 2019 recall. I don't have another vehicle. Took them 7-8 months to get the part. Good thing it wasn't anything important, only the brakes potentially failing to operate. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Bimbim18 said:

Good thing it wasn't anything important, only the brakes potentially failing to operate. 

Ah no, it was only the brake light switch portion, not your brakes failing to operate.

• Thumbsup 3

I read through the posts about the "loss of throttle control" issue that affectes the 21 Tracer GT model.  As I recall from the reading, the problem exhibited not as an engine stall, but as a loss of throttle.  Engines continued to run, but could not be controlled with the grip.  Yamaha has apparently been fixing that problem with new throttle bodies.  Since my bike was built in March of 21, it is an early production model so I am on the alert for this.  

So far nothing.  My bike runs great.  I could sometimes wish for more-perfect this or that, but mostly the bike is superb.

The recall seems to point to another issue.  The engine stalls, often during upshifting with clutch lever not fully pulled, or during downshifting with clutch pulled but throttle not fully closed.  That's how I interpret the legalese in the recall. The stall may or may not be accompanied with a problem light, or problem lights may generally not appear even with a system malfunction that otherwise would have presented the alert.  That's the part I sort of worry about, the non-appearance of, say, an oil light.  The darned lights are hard to see in any case.

• Thumbsup 1

I went to my dealer today with both recall letters. As I used to work for this store as a Tech many many years ago (and Service Manger for a time) I went to the boss and he looked my stuff up. Called over to Service and set me up for a reflash at 0900 tomorrow😳. Throttle tube will be inspected and if not cracked (I don’t feel it is but haven’t checked) they’ll order the new improved bar end weight with a flange on it to prevent lateral stress on the tube.

Stay tuned😬.

• Thumbsup 1

Smokamoto,

It's good to have connections! 

My dealer is going to let me know when they can do my recalls. They didn't know anything about it.

Let us know how it goes. Like others, I'm afraid that the reflash will adversely affect an otherwise perfectly running bike.

Cheers!

Craig

• Thumbsup 1

Good results at the dealer today, got me right in at 0900 and was done with the reflash in about 30 minutes. They ordered the upgraded bar end weight and will call me for an appointment when it arrives. I thought they would also inspect the throttle tube today then proceed accordingly but…I’m not the Service Manager anymore lol.

Test ride home was uneventful, bike seemed the same, I made sure to use the quickshifter but it was only a 5 mile ride. Time will tell…the mechanic who did the reflash asked how I liked the electronic suspension. I said I wished it had more settings…

• Thumbsup 1

I’ve got an appointment for the recalls at my dealer shop in Temecula tomorrow. Bike is running spectacular!  They better not **** it up.

Not only is the Tracer running great but I’m making friends with the saddle after 2.5 months and 3900 miles. I don’t think I’m going to need that Corbin after all. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:45 PM, Eventhorizon said:

The only thing that I hope the reflash does fix is a hard warm start up, this is the only issue that I have had with the bike. Say for example I'm riding around and need to stop for fuel. After filling up the bike starts but stumbles and throttle is mushy for about 10 seconds and it clears out. A restart after a couple of hours or more does not produce the same results.

I have exactly the same thing on a 900 GT. 

Perfect start:
-cold engine
-stop and restart engine immediately
-let the engine cool down sufficiently before restarting 

But when I do a short stop to get gas or buy something upon restarting the engine will often run rough for 20 seconds or until I rev it. My ECU is flashed for performance and it didn't change this problem. 

• Thumbsup 3

7 hours ago, petshark said:

I have exactly the same thing on a 900 GT. 

Perfect start:
-cold engine
-stop and restart engine immediately
-let the engine cool down sufficiently before restarting 

But when I do a short stop to get gas or buy something upon restarting the engine will often run rough for 20 seconds or until I rev it. My ECU is flashed for performance and it didn't change this problem. 

Mine has always done this as well.  A quick rev fixes it, so I've never really fussed about it. It's just an excuse to rev it 😃

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine has always done this as well.  A quick rev fixes it, so I've never really fussed about it. It's just an excuse to rev it 😃

Same here. Not worried about it at all. But if is not a common issue and someone knows how to fix it, it's just an excuse to go tinkering ;D

• Thumbsup 2

Had my recall service done last Friday, it should only take about 30 minutes. I hung out with the tech while he flashed the ecu and replaced the bar end with a washer on it that is supposed to protect the throttle tube. Bike rides the same as before. 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 2

I'm taking mine in for the recall this Monday, the weather has been awful here over the past week with rain snow and cols temps.  My service manager said it would take 20 minutes to flash the ECU and maybe another 20 minutes to do the bar end work.  I already had the throttle assembly replaced so it may not even be needed,

• Thumbsup 1