Tracer 9 recall

I had mine reflashed yesterday, however now i am expericing a very strange engine brake issue.

can any of you guys test this, if you in (preferrably a lower gear) 
Go off throttle above 3k RPM and let the bike engine brake below 3k RPM, do you also get a small "jerk" in the drivetrain, almost as if engine braking cuts off then cuts in again? 
Never had this kind of issue with any bike owned. Its just not a good feeling, not a big problem per say. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sunde said:

I had mine reflashed yesterday, however now i am expericing a very strange engine brake issue.

Go off throttle above 3k RPM and let the bike engine brake below 3k RPM, do you also get a small "jerk" in the drivetrain, almost as if engine braking cuts off then cuts in again? 
Never had this kind of issue with any bike owned. Its just not a good feeling, not a big problem per say. 

Nope, mine was as smooth as ever but I only put 40 miles on it at Highway speeds and mixed speed traffic.  No jerking noted.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sunde said:

I have felt what you’re experiencing with my ‘21 9 GT, and I believe both before the reflash & after.
Feels to me like modern electronics/fuel injection/engine braking blah blah…however I’ve been wrong before. 😉

7 hours ago, Sunde said:

Yes, I notice this on mine also.  Not sure it wasn't doing this prior to the recall being done. It feels, to me,  like when you're pulling a trailer with a truck and at the last few seconds when the speed drops below a certain point towards idle, the trailer brakes release, and you feel a little nudge.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, KrustyKush said:

Yes, I notice this on mine also.  Not sure it wasn't doing this prior to the recall being done. It feels, to me,  like when you're pulling a trailer with a truck and at the last few seconds when the speed drops below a certain point towards idle, the trailer brakes release, and you feel a little nudge.

Basically this yes
 Its pretty strange, but 100% down to some computer phuckery 
I just cant quite fathom what as, 3k RPM is wayy to high for any kind of low-RPM assist feature to engage.
Remains a mystery, but hardly spoils this fantastic bike 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer completed both recalls and on the first ride the Check Engine light stayed on.  The system said the O2 sensor was bad so they replaced it and the bike runs great.  I think it runs better than before and I agree with others, the QuickShifter is amazing.

• Thumbsup 1

So got the re flashing done today and I spent the previous week doing "butt dyno" checking and making mental notes on how the bike ran before and after.

Before the re-flash I felt the throttle was great, quick shifter did it just nicely, and there was a small fuel injection turn on "bump" when off the throttle (just engine braking not the brakes not applied) and the RPMs drop below 3K RPM. This is nothing new, every fuel injected bike I ever owned had a point where the injectors turned on again.

Well after the re flash the only issue I had was the red yield sign came on for a half a second and disappeared 30 seconds after starting up to head home. I took the long way home to test out the new update.

The only difference that I notice is that the throttle is slightly crisper, but the quick shifter feels the same, and still had that same minor fuel injection turn on at 3k RPMs while engine braking.

I did have a quick stop while kind of hard on the brakes and just quick shifting down. I got the "trailer bump" hit at 1st gear while still engine braking and on the regular brakes and I cant really recall if this did this before the flash.

This is not really a bump but its a sudden lack of engine braking because the fuel injection now turns on expecting you to pull in the clutch. If you did the same thing but pulled in the clutch you'd get the same result.

Over all its a slight improvement over the stock flash and i'm happy with it with the slightly crisper throttle.

• Thumbsup 2

So one other thing I got to test was an issue that I reported and someone else did too about a "hot restart" condition. This is where for say your riding the bike and you stop for fuel. You fuel up and then hop on to start the bike. The bike will fire but then stall out. Hit the starter again and usually the bike fires up but maybe boggy or run weird for a few seconds.

I had the pleasure of filling up with expensive fuel and got on the bike and it fired off and stalled, but this time a restart and it fired up and there was no boggy or weird running issues.

The bike was only a few miles warm so while it was at running temperature, it was not "heat soaked" (Running for at least 20 miles) when the issue was most likely to appear.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny that you mentioned it, I was getting gas a couple of days ago, went to start the bike and it stalled. I thought it was really weird as it's pretty much brand new and doesn't have any power / fuel / flash modifications. On the second try it started without issues though.

• 1 month later...

So, was going to pick up my '22 on Saturday and the shop went to do the ECU recall and the bike wouldn't take it. They over-nighted a new ECU and the same thing happened. Now Tuesday and no word. 

Has anyone heard of this happening anywhere???

• Sad 1

My dealer first wanted me to bring the bike in, drop it off and they'd call me when it was ready. I said "So you want me to make two 2 hour round-trips to get something done that will take 30 minutes?"

He said "Yes."

I explained why this was absurd and we came to an agreement that I could call the following week and he would book an appointment. When I called, he said that they have ordered a part for one of the recalls and would call me when it came in. He assured me they would call, since they have never called me back about anything. This was about 6 weeks ago.

The bike runs fine and I'm not worried about it. But the dealer has not done anything make my Yamaha ownership a pleasant experience. When I picked up the bike, the decorative piece that goes in front of the seat was missing. I called about it last September right after I got the bike home. I didn't get the part until January. I called about once a month to see where it was.  They should have given me the one off the bike in the showroom, but said they couldn't do that. They suck.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe someone will buy my bike and their dealer will be better?

Cheers!

Craig

5 hours ago, Willbo said:

So, was going to pick up my '22 on Saturday and the shop went to do the ECU recall and the bike wouldn't take it. They over-nighted a new ECU and the same thing happened. Now Tuesday and no word. 

Has anyone heard of this happening anywhere???

Update: Ok, so it seems the new ECU was an ECU strictly for California emissions and won't work here in Virginia. So, yet another ECU is being sent and we'll see how this goes. 

• 1 year later...

Hey guys , I bought my bike in June of this year , and the previous owner never did the recalls so I brought mine in and got it done . Before I had the chance my bike died out on me doing 90 down the highway . Totally freaked me out it was nighttime , and once I got pulled over my bike was stuck in 3 gear on the display; although I could feel it shifting and was able to roll it in neutral. Finally after a few minutes it started right up and was fine . 
After that I got it right in to the dealer . I rode it for about a month and thought it ran like crap with my akropovic exhaust system . 
So,now my ecu is getting flashed by vcyclenut , and I am installing a dna stage 2 lid compliments of vcyclenut .  
but somehow doing the recall changed the flash software that he had . so my ecu is getting sent out to woolich ; so that he can have the software in house from now on if I’m not mistaken. I think the recall changed something to do with the original program . 
So hopefully all goes well and I’ll have my mods in the mail soon !  
and thankfully for this forum I was able to learn about vcyclenut . He’s Someone who actually has real time knowledge and experience on the mt09 motor and knows what tweaks are best for our machines .

I also am going down one tooth on the front sprocket because I want my bike to have more torque and wheelie on command instead of having that flat spot before shooting off like a rocket . 
but anyhow I thought you guys would like to know the issues I’m having with a flash after that recall .  hopefully my ecu getting sent off to woollich  will fix this issue for future customers .

ride safe guys ! 
danny-

Edited by BostonDanny

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, BostonDanny said:

So,now my ecu is getting flashed by vcyclenut , and I am installing a dna stage 2 lid compliments of vcyclenut .  
but somehow doing the recall changed the flash software that he had . so my ecu is getting sent out to woolich ; so that he can have the software in house from now on if I’m not mistaken. I think the recall changed something to do with the original program .

Im not sure Im following.

If you had Vcyclenut's flash and then had Yamaha perform the recall, then yes, they overwrote his flash.

Are you saying that now that Yamaha has re-flashed your ECU that it is not compatible to be reflashed by Vcyclenut? Or did it invalidate the license he used for your flash?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

No I did the recall flash first and then sent my ecu off to him and he could not do the performance flash . Something to do with the recall flash changing and so he didn’t have the new software for it  . So either we waited for them to release the new program , and he send back my ecu to me , or the other option was to send it off to woolich . They drill into the ecu and somehow get the code , and then they fill the hole back in and send the ecu back . And after that I assume he’ll have the new software program or code for future customers . I’m not too familiar with that kind of stuff I just know what David told me . So now I’m just waiting for it to come back . I’ll post an update once I get everything installed and take a ride on it . 

Edited by BostonDanny
  • Thumbsup 1