FJ-09 Oil Filter list

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just picked up a 4 pack of OEM Yamaha 5GH-13440-50-00 for $44.95 shipped off eBay. A little more than $11.25 each, it's hard to go wrong with the OEM product.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 3 weeks later...
Just tried the Bosch 3323 oil filter, it is longer than the Yamaha filter. It barely fits, I have an Arrow exhaust and the filter hits the header. Once the filter is installed, there is not enough room for a filter wrench between the filter and header. I have a strap wrench to tighten it, but will be going to the shorter Bosch 3300. Hope this helps someone. 

Kurt

Just tried the Bosch 3323 oil filter, it is longer than the Yamaha filter. It barely fits, I have an Arrow exhaust and the filter hits the header. Once the filter is installed, there is not enough room for a filter wrench between the filter and header. I have a strap wrench to tighten it, but will be going to the shorter Bosch 3300. Hope this helps someone.  
Kurt
I run a Bosch 3323 on my FJR. I haven't yet tried it on my wife's FJ-09. Bosch and many other filter manufacturers recently changed the style of their filter mating surface from concave to convex which is what  causes it to bottom out. Since many FJR riders love to use these and other aftermarket filters there is a guy on the FJR forum who modifies the oil filter union bolt (same part on FJ09) by removing about 20 thousandths of thickness using his lathe. Once that modification is made you can run a much greater variety of filters including the Bosch 3323. As far as tightening the filter, oil filters should only ever be hand tight. About 3/4 of a turn once the o-ring first makes contact is a good rule of thumb. For removing I just use a channel locks if my hand isn't good enough.

I run a Bosch 3323 on my FJR. I haven't yet tried it on my wife's FJ-09. Bosch and many other filter manufacturers recently changed the style of their filter mating surface from concave to convex which is what  causes it to bottom out. Since many FJR riders love to use these and other aftermarket filters there is a guy on the FJR forum who modifies the oil filter union bolt (same part on FJ09) by removing about 20 thousandths of thickness using his lathe. Once that modification is made you can run a much greater variety of filters including the Bosch 3323. As far as tightening the filter, oil filters should only ever be hand tight. About 3/4 of a turn once the o-ring first makes contact is a good rule of thumb. For removing I just use a channel locks if my hand isn't good enough.I did that mod to the union bolt on my FJR and my FJ-09.  I removed about 2mm (.080') from the hex flange thickness.   Now I can use the Bosch 3300 or Purolator 14612 (maybe 14610) even if they have the convex internal mounting plate.  All is good in the garage again.  I had a pretty good stash of oil filters with the convex plates.

Scotts Performance Model S-1

You will need access to a parts cleaner and/or compressed air if you go this route to effect a thorough cleaning at oil change time. Side benefit is you get to see any signs of wear going on when you clean it up at oil change time.

I have used it on my FJR's for 120+k miles. I change oil every 3.5/4K miles. At that rate and relative to the OEM and many other filters it's paid for itself many times over. Plus I get to save Mother Earth and keep all of those yucky oil laden filters out of landfills.   ;)

Between the magnet in the filter and the magnet in my drain bolt I have very little of anything magnetic floating around. My drain pan is generally void of anything at my change intervals.

• 2 weeks later...
I was told this week by a Yamaha dealership mechanic that the Yamaha filter does not have a by-pass, or maybe it was the flow-back valve, in it since the valve is now in the motor. Can someone confirm this?

I've been a fan of the Bosch 3323 on my FJR and was going to use them on the FJ09 but now wonder about having two valves in the system.
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

I was told this week by a Yamaha dealership mechanic that the Yamaha filter does not have a by-pass, or maybe it was the flow-back valve, in it since the valve is now in the motor. Can someone confirm this? 
I've been a fan of the Bosch 3323 on my FJR and was going to use them on the FJ09 but now wonder about having two valves in the system.
This is something I've never been able to figure out. An OEM oil filter runs less $12.00 on-line. A Bosch 3323 (good filter BTW, but I had one failure on a Bosch on my Van) runs about $8.00 now days. If you chance the oil & filter every 4K miles it comes out to about 1 penny per mile to run the OEM filter! Really? You're quibbling over $20 in 20,000 miles? Don't eat at McDonalds 3 times in the next 3 years and you're money ahead. :-) Geez, why even question it? 

If 2 valves (if the internal one actually exists) was going to cause any trouble at all I think Yamaha would have warnings in various places in the owners manual and probably on the bike somewhere. I don't recall seeing anything like this. Most filters have the valves as far as I know. 

This is something I've never been able to figure out. An OEM oil filter runs less $12.00 on-line. A Bosch 3323 (good filter BTW, but I had one failure on a Bosch on my Van) runs about $8.00 now days. If you chance the oil & filter every 4K miles it comes out to about 1 penny per mile to run the OEM filter! Really? You're quibbling over $20 in 20,000 miles? Don't eat at McDonalds 3 times in the next 3 years and you're money ahead. :-) Geez, why even question it?
I've never been able to figure out why folks spend more money on a particular brand without meaningful data.  
Having none, and not eating at McDonalds, I don't any reason not to buy [insert brand name here]. That includes the Bosch (which is $6 online).

This is one consideration - 
As provided previously, here is a lot of good information on the subject - http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters
See the section labeled Filter Bypass and Anti-Drain Back Valves

Important to us, as we have a horizontally mounted filter, is the material of the anti-drain back valve. Is yours silicone or plastic?

• 1 month later...
Purolator PL14612 that I bought must have been one of the new style as it didn't have enough concave to it. Took it back and opened a few boxes to check and all the PL14612 and PL14610 filters were the same 'no go'. However, the premium PBL14610 'Boss' version had a much deeper concave and worked just fine. It's also a dark metallic color for those who are fashion conscious. BTW, a can of Krylon will fix those ugly filters in about two minutes.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 2 months later...