• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FJ-09 Oil Filter list

It doesn’t matter.
I’ve seen engines from the factory with the washer installed either way and no problems with a leak.
I’ve always installed flat part of washer to the drain bolt, or picture B against the drainbolt, which would put A against the oil pan.

-Skip

Thank you @adjuster for the info and links! 
Amazon prime for PBL 14610 oil filter: Link
Just noticed there is some mis-match of numbers going on here. The OP filter list shows the Purolator 14612 is the compatible FJ-09 filter but you've linked the 14610 part.  
Not sure if this is an error or if both fit but thought it important to point this out so someone doesn't get the wrong one. I have in fact ordered and used 2 PBL 14612 filters now with success for the record. 

Thank you @adjuster for the info and links! 
Amazon prime for PBL 14610 oil filter: Link
Just noticed there is some mis-match of numbers going on here. The OP filter list shows the Purolator 14612 is the compatible FJ-09 filter but you've linked the 14610 part.  
Not sure if this is an error or if both fit but thought it important to point this out so someone doesn't get the wrong one. I have in fact ordered and used 2 PBL 14612 filters now with success for the record. 
Thanks for pointing that out. That's very strange, I have a bag of PBL 14612's sitting in my garage. Wonder what changed....

'15 FJ09

• 3 months later...
Seems like it would have only been polite to mention you copied that from my website. I spent a lot of hours putting that list together. . .
Point taken, data deleted to comply.

Well, whoever made the post or shared it should know that it was very helpful. I just did an oil change and it seemed to go pretty well with the amount of oil that was recommended. Thanks guys. I’m a happy FJ09 rider!

• Premium Member
What? If anything is the point of the 3 year old whine about open information on the net? I really don't get it.

However the weather is nice here in SOFLA it is a bit windy though.
  • Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
It doesn’t matter. I’ve seen engines from the factory with the washer installed either way and no problems with a leak.
I’ve always installed flat part of washer to the drain bolt, or picture B against the drainbolt, which would put A against the oil pan.

-Skip
Makes me feel better to put the round side against the crank case, but I know it really doesn't make any difference!

• 1 year later...

Not sure why someone would use an automotive oil filter on their Tracer as the OEM filter (5GH-13440-50-00, now 5GH-13440-60-00)  is available online for 10-12 USD and sometimes cheaper at Yamaha boat shops (this filter is also used for many Yamaha boat engines).  The Wix 51358  (also available from NAPA as NAPA Gold 1358 ) is also specified directly for  the Yamaha FJ-09 / MT09 and is a well made motorcycle filter (NAPA has them on sale every 3 months for less than 6 bucks).  There is not a lot of clearance between the pipes and the end of the filter with the tiny factory filter, so the discussion about using a longer filter sounds like it would create a lot of fun when changing the filter.   No need to make changing your filter a science project.  :)

Edited by dundee

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2015 at 9:40 AM, ULEWZ said:

Sorry you had that issue with the fram. I don't use them for other reasons, but that is good enough reason. I like your idea of taking the spare stud to the store and trying different filters. Let us know if you come up with a new one to try. I am currently using the Mobil 1 M1-108 with no issues. 

You need the "A" on the end of 6018..that is the course thread that is REQUIRED..frame is a poor filter anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cogswell,

In case you did not know. Rocky Mountain ATV has a warehouse and store in Winchester, KY that you can go and pick up parts if they are in stock. (Saves shipping costs also.) Has saved my bacon more than once! Just be sure to call their 800 number to place your order and verify that the part is in Winchester and not Utah!

• Thumbsup 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE