Downieville Rd & Feather River Canyon

maximo

I had my suspension tuned last week, and having the day off today (thank you Cesar Chavez!), I took the newly-tuned bike on a couple of gold standards. 

First of all, I had both roads to myself. It was amazing! Downieville Rd (Hwy 49) is holding up well. Surface is clean and the recent repaving is holding up nicely. This is a must-ride for anyone in the area.  Hwy 70 in the Feather River Canyon is less fortunate. The Dixie fire last year really impacted the area. The burn scar is huge, and the road is showing the scars of the heavy equipment that traveled up and down the road, not to mention all the trees that fell on it and the ongoing rock slides. Lots of road repair and environmental work going on. I'd suggest avoiding it for a while. 

• Like 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, maximo said:

I had my suspension tuned last week, and having the day off today (thank you Cesar Chavez!), I took the newly-tuned bike on a couple of gold standards. 

First of all, I had both roads to myself. It was amazing!

Both of those roads are outstanding, especially with no traffic!  I'm Jealous. 😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Both of those roads are outstanding, especially with no traffic!  I'm Jealous. 😎

It was a good day. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

5 hours ago, maximo said:

First of all, I had both roads to myself. It was amazing! Downieville Rd (Hwy 49) is holding up well. Surface is clean and the recent repaving is holding up nicely. This is a must-ride for anyone in the area.  Hwy 70 in the Feather River Canyon is less fortunate. The Dixie fire last year really impacted the area. The burn scar is huge, and the road is showing the scars of the heavy equipment that traveled up and down the road, not to mention all the trees that fell on it and the ongoing rock slides. Lots of road repair and environmental work going on. I'd suggest avoiding it for a while. 

Sounds like fun.  You have discovered the joys of being retired 🙂  When a nice day comes around I can just up and go ride.  Don't have roads like that though.  Now the downside to being retired, getting older and ....

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Sounds like fun.  You have discovered the joys of being retired 🙂  When a nice day comes around I can just up and go ride.  Don't have roads like that though.  Now the downside to being retired, getting older and ....

Retirement is starting to sound a whole lot better... I can maybe even see it just over the horizon... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, maximo said:

I had my suspension tuned last week, and having the day off today (thank you Cesar Chavez!), I took the newly-tuned bike on a couple of gold standards. ...

And what was your impression of the Dave Moss tuning changes on this ride? Did you notice any differences since the last time you rode these gems?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I recognized Feather River Canyon from the book I read on the 2018 Camp Fire that burned Paradise to the ground. Likely a few scars from that one too. When I retire in a couple of years, will be heading your way. Just for a visit, though.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, nhchris said:

And what was your impression of the Dave Moss tuning changes on this ride? Did you notice any differences since the last time you rode these gems?

Considering that he was working with stock suspension, he did an amazing job of tuning it just right for me. I felt much more in control in the corners and the bike feels overall much less jittery. 

Yes, it was a huge change from my previous ride. I regret not going to Dave sooner, instead of just dinking with it on my own. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brian said:

I recognized Feather River Canyon from the book I read on the 2018 Camp Fire that burned Paradise to the ground. Likely a few scars from that one too. When I retire in a couple of years, will be heading your way. Just for a visit, though.

When you do come visit and ride the area, bring an extra suitcase of smiles. You'll be grinning so much you'll wear them out. 

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, maximo said:

When you do come visit and ride the area, bring an extra suitcase of smiles. You'll be grinning so much you'll wear them out. 

In my younger days, 3 of us loaded our bikes in a trailer and drove 30 hours straight from Houston to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP. My Suzuki Bandit 1200 was the only bike that didn't survive the trip unscathed. Up and down the PCH with a duct-taped windscreen. It IS a cool part of the country to ride in.

• Thumbsup 2

• 10 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 9:07 PM, PhotoAl said:

Being retired's great!