What did you do with your Niken today?

Heli ATP

• Supporting Member

I installed the front axle sliders and the GPS mount from Yamaha on my Niken GT. I'm a little disappointed with the Yamaha accessories. The sliders are hard plastic which I imagine would crack if hit. I plan on purchasing some stubby round ones to thread through the axle sliders for more protection. Got to find some that will fit snug inside the axle sliders and have a longer threaded rod than standard. The GPS holder seems like it will work well after I wire up my Garmin 595LM but the two bolts that came with it are different to the remaining two bolts on the handle bar mount. Luckily they will be covered when the GPS is installed. I really like the positioning though.

Axle Sliders.jpg

GPS Holder.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
Decided to make a base plate for my shad rack out of some scrap. Hack saw, drill and a couple of files. Still needs some paint. 
Could hear my metal work teacher from high school shouting instructions. He would have been proud. Poor old Jim....RIP

Rack plate.jpg

Shad Plate.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

It would be useful to know you weight and luggage carried for the settings you describe maybe to help others with their setup.

• Supporting Member

So I fashioned a top case support plate for my Shad top case, as seen earlier in this thread. I tried to purchase a 'Top Case Carrier Kit' part BD5-284X2-00-00 to support the grab rail bar. I was told they are out of stock and won't be available again from Yamaha (at least here in the USA). So it was time to make a templet for the grab bar support. Next up find a piece of steel or aluminum to make the support. The stock plastic trim piece can be cut to fit.

It doesn't look good for the Niken if Yamaha has given up supplying accessories.

Rack support 1a.jpg

Rack support 2.jpg

Rack support 3.jpg

Stock rack support.jpg

Dimensions.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Got to ride today for a couple of hours around the Pocono Mountains in NE PA. Temps 55-65, perfect. Top case felt solid, in fact I really didn't feel it at all. Stopped for gas and was approached by some guy with motorcycle questions. I knew before he opened his mouth that he was going to put the Niken down, as I heard him tell some guy with a (Hyundai ?) truck that it wasn't a real truck . When he asked so what do we have here, I told him it was just something I threw together. He was hooked, I could barely hold in the laughter.  😁

Pocono Ride.jpg

• Supporting Member

Order a couple of Yamaha Niken spare keys, part number 4BH-82511-09-00. Then I came across this video and wondered if I should have gone aftermarket?

• Thanks 1

Hi bought a new Niken GT in SEPT 2021 been unable to ride until today, really like the bike but wonder if anyone else finds the gearbox whines in all gears apart from 1st gear, the fuel gauge drops like a stone from half full and speedo and sat nav do not match by up to 6mph.  Can live with the quirks as all Bike makes are different. Any ideas.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Pete Fairbairn said:

"anyone else finds the gearbox whines in all gears apart from 1st gear, the fuel gauge drops like a stone".

Congrats on your first ride. Not sure about your whines, but think of the fuel tank shape like a triangle sitting on a point. More fuel on top than down lower. There is a better explanation of the fuel tank elsewhere on this forum.

• Supporting Member

Got my Garmin 595LM wired up to the stock Yamaha GPS holder today. Really like the position away from the view of the road. Had to take the Garmin Mount apart and pull the wires out for cable routing to the back. I have decided to try to leave the Yamaha stock wires as intact as possible this time around so a distribution block will help with that. Installed a FUZEBLOCK FZ1 under the seat. Switched power came for the brown power going to the tail-light. Thanks to maximNikenGT for documenting that. While I was back there I added a Tail Light Modulator from TST Industries. 10 minute install and a big impact with how it pulses the rear brake light when applied.

TST Brake Light Modulator

TST4.jpg

TST3.jpg

TST6.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I pulled out some covers I had on the shelf to see if they would go over the front end. My Dowco Weatherproof Plus Large cover wouldn't fit, but a Classic Accessories 72447 X-Large Motorcycle Cover did. So XL seems to be the option in size. Funny that the Classic Cover was $20 on close out, but while it is not waterproof it is ideal for sun coverage and has loops in the right places for tie down when windy. Pic with top case and windshield deflector installed...

Cover.jpg

On 4/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, Heli ATP said:

Got my Garmin 595LM wired up to the stock Yamaha GPS holder today. Really like the position away from the view of the road. Had to take the Garmin Mount apart and pull the wires out for cable routing to the back. I have decided to try to leave the Yamaha stock wires as intact as possible this time around so a distribution block will help with that. Installed a FUZEBLOCK FZ1 under the seat. Switched power came for the brown power going to the tail-light. Thanks to maximNikenGT for documenting that. While I was back there I added a Tail Light Modulator from TST Industries. 10 minute install and a big impact with how it pulses the rear brake light when applied.

TST Brake Light Modulator

TST4.jpg

TST3.jpg

TST6.jpg

I thought you said you weren't going to touch the electrical this time around? Either way, you have me interested in the FUZEBLOCK or similar now. But curious why not use the 12v port or run a second (switched) line from the battery? I'm going to start figuring out my Garmin and radar detector setup this weekend if all arrives in time.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

By not touching the electrical system I meant to not splice. The FUZEBLOCKS is just two wires to the battery and one to a switched wire with a posi-tap that can easily be reversed. I may use the connectors under the windscreen for lights, just plug n play. 

• Supporting Member

YBB Air and a GT i-Drive 1.0 behind. There is also a Cannondale lefty with electronic suspension in the house which is kind of ironic. A bicycle with one front fork and now a motorcycle with double the forks. 

20220419_081235.jpg

• Like 1

Today I took the niken for its first MOT which it passed with no advisories .It was a first for the testing station as they had not done one before on a niken .A crowd had surrounded the bike and I was as per usual bombarded with questions  lol .

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Installed some crash sliders to the front and rear axles. The rear was advertised for the Niken and doubles as paddock stand bobbins. The front were advertised for the MT-07 but after studying the dimensions I decided to give them a try and they fit the front perfectly, over the Yamaha front fork protectors. eBay seller is JayBeeBikerBits from England and shipping took about 9 days to the USA.

Mushroom A.jpg

Mushroom B.jpg

Mushroom C.jpg

Mushroon D.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1