What did you do with your Niken today?

Heli ATP

• Supporting Member

I added some color code tire pressure valve caps on both front and rear tires. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

I picked her up from the shop where I had the lowering kit installed, I'm impressed but will report more after a longer ride tomorrow. Tonight I installed the PowerBronze 555mm high Flip screen. It replaces the stock screen with the stock hardware. SKU: 420-Y153-000. 10 min install and 6" taller than stock, or 3" taller than the clip on wind deflector. Review to follow.

Pic shows stock screen with wind deflector over PowerBronze Flip screen.

PowerBronze Over Stock.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed crash bars. These are cheap Givi 2139 FJ-09/Tracer copies ($89) from ebay. The flat bar with a hole to secure the rear of the bars had to be removed and welded back on after some finagling. I have a friend who welds and powder coats for a living so it was a project worth taking on. Dimensions are in the Niken crash bar thread as I followed what lpawelek did. I wanted more engine coverage and leg protection so these seem the best fit for now. Also on ebay there is a 13 pack of wheel axle spacers and some M10x1.25 - 130mm socket cap full thread stainless bolts. The bolts had to be cut to size, add a few stainless washers and it worked. Probably $200 all in.

Bars 1.jpg

Bars 2.jpg

Bar 3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Got the red engine oil light come on a few minutes into a ride. I had read about this in another thread that it's a common occurrence with a cold CP3 engine if the level is a fraction low. Oil had been changed recently so I didn't sweat it and the light went off after a minute. Got home and had no one to help me check the level. Book says to hold the bike upright to check level. I set my phone on video mode and held the bike from behind so I could be sure it was straight up, announced 'Now', and returned to side stand. Played back the video to 'Now', added a little oil so she should be good to go.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, Heli ATP said:

Installed crash bars. These are cheap Givi 2139 FJ-09/Tracer copies ($89) from ebay. The flat bar with a hole to secure the rear of the bars had to be removed and welded back on after some finagling. I have a friend who welds and powder coats for a living so it was a project worth taking on. Dimensions are in the Niken crash bar thread as I followed what lpawelek did. I wanted more engine coverage and leg protection so these seem the best fit for now. Also on ebay there is a 13 pack of wheel axle spacers and some M10x1.25 - 130mm socket cap full thread stainless bolts. The bolts had to be cut to size, add a few stainless washers and it worked. Probably $200 all in.

Bars 1.jpg

Bars 2.jpg

Bar 3.jpg

Engine protection looks much better than the SW Motech versions and way cheaper than the SSB Gymkana crash bars out of Japan. Nicely done!

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Got some miles in today and found myself halfway around a lake behind 2 cars doing 30mph when the Trip F came on, hadn't seen that before . When the fuel gauge started flashing I was trying to remember if I should have one gallon left. At 20miles FTE I was sweating but made it 26.2 miles to a station that had premium non-ethanol gas. Pumped 4.274 gallons @ $5.849/G. I think I would be comfortable going 30 beyond the flash if there is a next time😟

Pic is from immediately after I filled up...

Fuel Guage.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Got some miles in today and found myself halfway around a lake behind 2 cars doing 30mph when the Trip F came on, hadn't seen that before . When the fuel gauge started flashing I was trying to remember if I should have one gallon left. At 20miles FTE I was sweating but made it 26.2 miles to a station that had premium non-ethanol gas. Pumped 4.274 gallons @ $5.849/G. I think I would be comfortable going 30 beyond the flash if there is a next time😟

Pic is from immediately after I filled up...

Fuel Guage.jpg

Good to know. Not sure I've seen that F code before when I'm running low. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Good to know. Not sure I've seen that F code before when I'm running low. 

See page 4-14 of the Owners manual. It may depend on what selections you have up on the display?

Fuel.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Finally removed the stock mirrors/turn indicators and replaced with spot lights. I'm pretty happy with the stock light output so these are more for conspicuity. I made the block-off plates and spot light brackets from a piece of alum-flat 1/8"X2"X3' from home depot. Tools used were hacksaw, some files and a drill with bits. The finish is just rattle can black matt paint for now. I connected the spots to the spare connector behind the windshield with a splitter from ebay. I really like the stock mirrors/turn indicators and hope to mount them on the handle bar so I rerouted their wires there. Just got to design a mount that screws into stock handle bar mirror holders. In the meantime I have turn indicators in the handguards. Purchased the lights from a forum member and total cost for this project is approx $85.

Niken Spot.jpg

Niken Spot 1.jpg

Niken Spot 2.jpg

Niken Spot 3.jpg

20220802_173226.jpg

Niken GT.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Needed to run an errand today and managed to turn it in to a couple of hundred miles, and a beautiful day it was in Pennsylvania.

One of those days when everything went as one would have wished.

Route 154/87/487 from Grover to Dushore to Red Rock PA is pretty neat. 

PA Route 154

Route 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I was on the lookout for a SW-Motech Engage Tank Bag but settled for the City one as the EVO ringed Engage is out of production. The tank ring for the Niken is an off-set type and I was afraid it would push the bag too far aft for comfort. The bag I purchased from SW- Motech was a return and was setup for aft position installation. I moved the hardware under the bag to have it sit further forward. The aft position was a bit close to my body and while manageable it might have been a little cramped when wearing full rain gear. The forward position looked a lot better and gave me more room to scoot forward on the seat, which I need to do often when stopping on uneven ground with my short inseam. 

As it turned out I found an EVO Engage bag which is a little smaller and I should have it next week. I will decide if the off-set tank ring works well with it, or if I will try a standard tank ring which sits on top of the fuel cap. I looked up the part number for the Niken fuel cap and found it is used in many different Yamaha Motorcycles. 39P-24602-00-00
This should help in finding a standard (non off-set) ring as the EVO parts are becoming scarce. SW-Motech's new line to replace the EVO is the PRO and that line does not appeal to me even though they are said to be water proof.

No restriction with turning handlebar full left or right with city bag installed in forward position.

SW Ring.jpg

Cith Tank Bag FWD.jpg

City Tank Bag AFT.jpg

City Tank Bag.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I wanted to see if a standard tank ring (not offset) would fit on the Niken so I picked up a SW Motech tank ring model TRT.00.640.11000/B. With the City bag installed full lock of the bars is restricted. With the Engage bag installed the bars just make contact with the sides of the bag. I dont have the smaller Micro bag but my calculations suggest it would fit without causing a restriction using the 640 ring.

The CITY bag I purchased was a display model and had the top ring was installed so as to move the bag all the ways back towards the seat. Combined with the offset tank ring it was to close to me for comfort. Since the 640 ring didn't solve the problem I repositioned the top ring on the bag to move the bag fully forward and now everything feels good.

Here is a pic of the 640 ring installed with bars at full lock....

640 ring on Niken.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I put it on a U-Haul motorcycle trailer to take it to the dealer for front fork oil change. At $17 including tax the trailer rental is a great deal. Would have rode it but it was 29F this morning with salt on the roads for snow.

Edit: After adding the Hyperpro lowering kit (front and rear) I rode for a while with the stock oil in the front forks. Finally changed the oil to the 15 weight provided by Hyperpro and notice a huge improvement.

Niken U-Haul.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Big cleanup today after doing 400 miles yesterday. Planned on about 250 but was having way too much fun to stop.

Part of my 'problem' was that my Garmin Zumo kept re-routing me to the next exit whenever I got on the highway. I checked all settings and don't see any reason for it to do that. Any suggestions?