Corbin seat for 2021-22 Tracer 9 GT

Korak

21 minutes ago, tclhb said:

Corbin had emailed me and asked if the spacer worked with their seat. He also said that I should form a spot with my butt where the seat will keep me in place better. 

Form as in.... in a matter of time that the seat will break-in to the shape of your butt?

Edited by KeesH

18 hours ago, KeesH said:

Form as in.... in a matter of time that the seat will break-in to the shape of your butt?

I think if you give our seat some time to break in you'll notice the seat adjusts to how you sit in it and once you imprint your butt into that foam you will not slide forward as easily. “

I am glad I found this thread... received mine a little over a week ago and have been trying to work through the fitment issues.

I also had to add two washers under the latch plate to get the seat to lock in place. The other issue I am having is an interference in the fit at the front of the seat. When seated, it bends/tweaks the plastics around it. It pulls the black plastic tank protection piece backwards away from the tank. Its an annoyingly large gap. I've also noticed that it shifts the silver side panels downward when I am seated. 

Corbin's initial reply was that the plastic bodywork shift is considered normal... I disagree. I've sent photos and such to them and am now awaiting their determination. 

Corbin's reply (just received)

"I showed my team and my supervisor. The washers underneath the latch pin on a brand new seat is normal. I personally had to do this on my bike. Once the seat breaks in, you will actually want to take the washers off and it will install like normal. It is perfectly normal for our seat to be touching some parts of the plastic or fairings. If you do see some out of the normal wear and tear on the Vinyl or Leather, let us know so we can look into it. But pressure on the plastics is perfectly fine."

Again, not sure if I really agree with the plastics comment. The latch pin I can live with.

Just putting this out there for anybody else that comes across this thread and is considering a Corbin saddle for their Tracer 9 GT.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Took a 1600 mile trip to the Smokey Mountains and the Tail of the Dragon.  First half of the trip used an Air Hawk along with the Corbin seat.  2 hours was enough time in the saddle before I had to start squirming.  The Smokey Mountains and the return trip home used the Corbin alone.  A better ride because I could now use the entire seat to slide up and back.  The seat is hard and in about 2 1/2 hours it was time for relief.  I did not wear bike shorts this trip, which I may try next trip.  I am still going to order the Russell Day long.  

Overall the Corbin is much better than stock, I have it in the high setting with the Seat Slope MOD installed. So, no sliding forward into the tank. For me personally, I still need a taller seat as my 36 inch inseam causes knee issues.

• Thumbsup 1

I've had my new Corbin on the bike for a couple of weeks' riding, maybe 500 miles or so during that time, before ear surgery temporarily stopped my riding last week.  The 500 miles made a huge difference in the saddle.  I also found that "comfort" required a movement of the handlebars back towards the rider, just a bit.  I bought a HeliBar adapter, and it made a lot of good diff, but I could still use another few mm of rearward movement.  In the near term I am going to keep it as it is because I generally prefer to "break me in to the bike rather than break the bike in to me."  The riding positions are so close to perfect, I don't believe I would achieve much by going to all the trouble it would require to install new handlebars.

The saddle itself is as good as any Corbin I've owned in the last 25 years, and that is several of them.  Maybe a half-dozen.  Build quality on every Corbin I've owned has been top notch.  Each has taken a thousand miles or more to get well broke in.  No Corbin I've owned has been comfy on Day One.  But after a few weeks and a thousand miles, they will settle down to sweet.

I had to install a couple washers on the saddle's latch bracket to get it tight, but now it appears I will have to remove the washers.  I reckon the seat pan adapts to the curvature of the bike's mounting location over time.  

image.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

The pics were taken with the saddle in "new" condition.  After a few hundred miles, the imprints of my butt are more noticeable.  I chose gold colored piping, trying to bring out the gold in the forks.  That didn't work out as I expected, but it still looks great on the bike.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

The saddle itself is as good as any Corbin I've owned in the last 25 years, and that is several of them.  Maybe a half-dozen.  Build quality on every Corbin I've owned has been top notch.  Each has taken a thousand miles or more to get well broke in.  No Corbin I've owned has been comfy on Day One.  But after a few weeks and a thousand miles, they will settle down to sweet.

Thats good to hear.  I just ordered a Corbin for my VFR, unfortunately it wont be delivered in time for my trip in early July. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Thats good to hear.  I just ordered a Corbin for my VFR, unfortunately it wont be delivered in time for my trip in early July. 

That may be a blessing because of the break in time. I had to ride to Albuquerque and back last month and was really hoping to get the saddle for the trip. Now, if I had put the Corbin on brand new and taken off for Abq on it I would have been in significant pain for quite awhile. As it was the Corbin arrived a couple days after I got back. And the stock saddle was plenty comfy for how I ride. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 4:28 PM, KrustyKush said:

I've had my new Corbin on the bike for a couple of weeks' riding, maybe 500 miles or so during that time, before ear surgery temporarily stopped my riding last week.  The 500 miles made a huge difference in the saddle.  I also found that "comfort" required a movement of the handlebars back towards the rider, just a bit.  I bought a HeliBar adapter, and it made a lot of good diff, but I could still use another few mm of rearward movement.  In the near term I am going to keep it as it is because I generally prefer to "break me in to the bike rather than break the bike in to me."  The riding positions are so close to perfect, I don't believe I would achieve much by going to all the trouble it would require to install new handlebars.

I had to install a couple washers on the saddle's latch bracket to get it tight, but now it appears I will have to remove the washers.  I reckon the seat pan adapts to the curvature of the bike's mounting location over time.  

image.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

The pics were taken with the saddle in "new" condition.  After a few hundred miles, the imprints of my butt are more noticeable.  I chose gold colored piping, trying to bring out the gold in the forks.  That didn't work out as I expected, but it still looks great on the bike.

Thank you. It looks to me that the Corbin seat positions the rider more to the back than the stock seat. It also seems to me (and that's also my experience with a Corbin seat on a 2014 MT-09) that you can only sit on the Corbin comfortably in just one position: fully at the back of the seat. This indeed says something about the position of the handlebar (that needs to move to the rider..). Do you have a picture of the HeliBar?

What is you complaint with the comfort of the Corbin for now? Why isn't it comfortable at long rides for now? I know that is has to break in, but what is the physical sore?

I went to the local uphostery shop with the stocker...

1.thumb.jpg.2e285e61d44b75612510b120689780af.jpg

Edited by KeesH

On 6/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Korak said:

Took a 1600 mile trip to the Smokey Mountains and the Tail of the Dragon.  First half of the trip used an Air Hawk along with the Corbin seat.  2 hours was enough time in the saddle before I had to start squirming.  The Smokey Mountains and the return trip home used the Corbin alone.  A better ride because I could now use the entire seat to slide up and back.  The seat is hard and in about 2 1/2 hours it was time for relief.  I did not wear bike shorts this trip, which I may try next trip.  I am still going to order the Russell Day long.  

Overall the Corbin is much better than stock, I have it in the high setting with the Seat Slope MOD installed. So, no sliding forward into the tank. For me personally, I still need a taller seat as my 36 inch inseam causes knee issues.

I have the same inseam. So do you recommend a higher seat, made to order @ Corbin?

In answer to KeesH: there are actually several positions possible with the Corbin, same as with the stock saddle. It is true that the widest area of the Corbin is all the way back, and that this pulls me farther away from the bars.  If I am pushing my tush all the way back, I will lean forward and keep weight off arms by supporting torso with torso muscles, not with arms as in front-leaning rest. I will also slide forward at times. There is plenty of room there but less side support.

I like to push all the way back into the saddle and lean an arm on the fuel tank, lowering my head behind the windscreen, so as to reduce turbulence on my head. I find this an extremely comfy position that I can maintain, with frequent modification, for long spells. Modification by shifting butt side to side. Arching back. Tilting pelvis. One leg out into the wind. Then the other leg. Etc.

Very happy also to be back on a bike with foot pegs in such position that rider can stand up on them while riding. Nothing helps an aching butt better than one or two minutes standing up!

The saddle is breaking in well. I’m back to riding after having half my left ear cut off 10 days ago due to skin cancer. I modified an older helmet so I can ride, and have been gingerly taking the bike out in the cool of mornings the last three days. I noticed that at no time now does the saddle call attention to itself. Unlike the stocker! Taking a week off the bike seems to have helped take my mind off the saddle. I’d say it is broke in, at around 700 miles. It will continue to soften and form, but probably is 90% broke in. 

• Thumbsup 1

Here are a couple of pics of the Heli Adapter I bought online direct from that company:

image.jpeg.db8649c5a798785ae89adc74d9a29184.jpeg

Top view.  You can see the offset from stock.

image.jpeg.c13fdb6ea46c486bc23e3c9ba76605f7.jpeg

Side view.  another angle on the offset.  You can also see what I had to do with the cables and brake pipe.  I had to untie them to allow slack.  The brake pipe was released from its upper stay.  It is a little tight upon full lock to the right.  I need to work on this.  Ideally, will replace it with longer.

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:23 AM, KrustyKush said:

In answer to KeesH: there are actually several positions possible with the Corbin, same as with the stock saddle. It is true that the widest area of the Corbin is all the way back, and that this pulls me farther away from the bars.  If I am pushing my tush all the way back, I will lean forward and keep weight off arms by supporting torso with torso muscles, not with arms as in front-leaning rest. I will also slide forward at times. There is plenty of room there but less side support.

I like to push all the way back into the saddle and lean an arm on the fuel tank, lowering my head behind the windscreen, so as to reduce turbulence on my head. I find this an extremely comfy position that I can maintain, with frequent modification, for long spells. Modification by shifting butt side to side. Arching back. Tilting pelvis. One leg out into the wind. Then the other leg. Etc.

Very happy also to be back on a bike with foot pegs in such position that rider can stand up on them while riding. Nothing helps an aching butt better than one or two minutes standing up!

The saddle is breaking in well. I’m back to riding after having half my left ear cut off 10 days ago due to skin cancer. I modified an older helmet so I can ride, and have been gingerly taking the bike out in the cool of mornings the last three days. I noticed that at no time now does the saddle call attention to itself. Unlike the stocker! Taking a week off the bike seems to have helped take my mind off the saddle. I’d say it is broke in, at around 700 miles. It will continue to soften and form, but probably is 90% broke in. 

Maybe I reflect it upon my own situation, but I like wide saddles with plenty of supporting square inches. Looking at the shape of a Corbin seat, the position fully back is the one with the best support. I conclude that if you do, your arms are too short...

I think that you need a relaxed position, not a forced one. A forced position is one to go for a couple of minutes, but not for the long haul. I'm 'blessed' with very long arms, but I like sitting upright too (and shifted the handlebars back to the original position after I went to the upholstery shop).